Tek Sumo and Bonsai

Slush Bob

I have to say. I don't have a soldering skills at all. I have never done it so I am looking for an easy way out. =P but I just remembered that I might have a speed controller out of a PZ t-28 that was crashed. The only thing is that is was stuck in a tree durring a rain storm but it came down after the storm. So all the electronics got very wet. =P but I think they all work. :) ill has to test everything to SW if it has water damage.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Slush Bob, I would recommend this video for anyone who wants to learn easy and proper soldering techniques. The one thing I like to do also is to scrub a little with an acid brush or an old toothbrush and alcohol in the nooks and crannies to get out all the old flux.

Slush Bob

ok so i just tested everything from my parkzone T-28D, and it all worked! Would the "480-size 960Kv brushless outrunner motor", "E-flite Pro 30A brushless ESC", and the parkzone servos work well with the tek sumo?

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
ok so i just tested everything from my parkzone T-28D, and it all worked! Would the "480-size 960Kv brushless outrunner motor", "E-flite Pro 30A brushless ESC", and the parkzone servos work well with the tek sumo?
My first impression would be no...That's way too much motor for the little TekSumo...The Parkzone Trojan has a 30oz flying wieght and the TS has a 10oz flying weight.

The little HobbyKing 2818 Brushless Outrunner 1350KV is the recommended motor for the TS, which is way smaller than a 480 size.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
You need to select it to a delta wing configuration (elevon mixing).
Like Jim says and then
One servo into the elevator port, one servo into the aileron port. From there you will try to get your surfaces responding correctly with the stick movements. It may require reversing one or both servo channels and swapping the two plugs until you get the magic combination that allows your setup to respond correctly.
Stick forward- both elevons go down
Stick back- both elevons go up
Stick left- left elevon goes up
Stick right- right elevon goes up
left and right are as if you are an imaginary pilot flying the plane

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Whatch this video for any more advanced settings like differential (I wish I could write this down the way Josh Scott kept saying it that episode)

But depending on your skill level you try it out first without any differential and then try to add some so that you can actually feel the improvement or not. (If you want to, sometimes planes fly better with differential)

Compa

Hi there, i am going to get me a teksumo
Is the turnigy 2818 strong enough for a gopro and 3s2200mah?
The plan is to pimp the teksumo step by step to a fpv wing like you guys did :)

also is there something like GOOP in europe?

JoeyG

I'm about to order the Bonsai as a little parkflyer for near my house (small park about the size of 3 football fields) This will be my first order with HK I'm just gonna pick up all the recommended electronics, the site doesnt mentions props... do they ship with a prop? or do I need to stock up? :p

Christian

@compa : I think the GoPro will be too heavy for the small teksumo. I think you will need at least a wingspan of 1.2m to install a go pro on your plane. Even with a 2200mah battery you are getting pretty heavy but that should be okay.

you can buy goop here : http://www.skateshop247.com/Schuhe/Schuhpflege-Zubehoer/Shoe-Goo-Automotive-Amazing-Goop-Schuhkleber::763.html German store

Ich schreibs nochmal auf Deutsch, also der teksumo wird zu klein sein für eine Gopro. Ich würde dir da eher einen größeren Nurflügel empfehlen. Der Teksumo eigenet sich höchstens für sehr leichtes FPV, also TX und Kamera max 30g.

@ JoeyG : I think they dont ship it with a prop. But the size if your props depends always on your motor. View the flitetest video about choosing the right propsize. than take your KV and power and choose a teksumo prop.

bluegsxr6

My Tek Sumo setup

Motor D2822/14 Brushless Outrunner 1450kv http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=12916
30 amp speed control , this is overkill but will be adding larger motor later http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=2164
1300 3s 30c battery
tunigy 9g servo http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9549__Turnigy_TG9e_9g_1_5kg_0_10sec_Eco_Micro_Servo.html
prop is 7 x 5 slow fly, make sure the numbers on prop are facing the motor, i made this mistake. it will fly but you lose a lot of performance if you don't.
you will need servo leads to reach reciever http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9707
reciever used http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11965__OrangeRx_R610_Spektrum_DSM2_6Ch_2_4Ghz_Receiver_w_Sat_Port_.html

I installed battery, speed control, and servos on the top of the wing. Dont like the thought of landing on the battery or any other parts.

This setup allows me to go vertical with the wing. I dont know the top speed but im sure i could get more out of it with a prop change. dont think im breaking 60 mph but plenty quick.

A blast to fly. Will go fast but also slow to a crawl. Will glide a long ways. 15 to 20 min flights going conservative.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
What kind of range do you get with that Orange RX? I noticed it's got the short antenna like a park flyer/short range RX.

ananas1301

It should be the same.

There is a bunch of videos on youtube where people like Dave Herbert made a comparison test between the original ones and the orange rx´s.

Here is Daves video:

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Wow, so that little 6ch Orange RX was a lot less range than the AR500. I assumed so b/c the Orange has a tiny antenna. I was surprised to see how much range variance there was b/wn two DX6i radios!

bluegsxr6

Orange recievers

I have used orange receivers with no issues nor have i heard of any issues with other club members that use them. Now if this were going to be a FPV unit i would definitely be installing a full spektrum unit with satelite for distance.

ananas1301

I have used orange receivers with no issues nor have i heard of any issues with other club members that use them. Now if this were going to be a FPV unit i would definitely be installing a full spektrum unit with satelite for distance.

Exactly just to be on the safe side.
I am going to use my AR500 in my PZ Extra 300 as that is the plane which needs the most range from all of them.
I will be doing a range test with all of the receivers I get and looks out for big varience between the receivers.

Btw you could look how much you gain in range with the satellite receiver or not.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I got the 9ch. Orange for my Advance 25e...it has the long antenna like the AR500 plus it has two satellite ports...we'll see how it does.

OrangeRx R910 Spektrum DSM2 9Ch 2.4Ghz TwinPort Rx

orng9(1).jpg

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
the antenna is really the same length as the orange 6. the only piece of the wire that actually works as the antenna is the end piece. There is still an advantage as the extra length of the lead may allow you to place the antenna in a part or your plane where there is less interference