Tek Sumo and Bonsai

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

In this episode of Flite Test Josh and Josh review the new Hobbyking flying wings! The Bonzi and the Tek Sumo are two very stable and versatile flying wings that we enjoy flying. Weather it's combat or FPV these things take a beating and just keep going. Make sure you take note of our Goop tip that will prolong the integrity of your EPP planes. Watch the review and tell us what YOU think.

Here is a link to the Goop that we used...

<h1 style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; font-size: 18px; font-weight: 600; color: rgb(40, 40, 40); width: 329px; " data-mce-style="font-size: 18px; font-weight: 600; color: #282828; width: 329px; padding: 0px; margin: 0px;"><span style="font-size:11px;" data-mce-style="font-size: 11px;">Amazing GOOP 1 Oz. Interior/Exterior All-Purpose Contact Adhesive and Sealant</span></h1>

see_article.png

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Any idea on why HK put the battery, servos, control rods and horns on the bottom?
I like how you moved the rods and horns to the top on the sumo.
Why not put all of the electrics on the top? Is it because of the pretty airbrush job?

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
Any idea on why HK put the battery, servos, control rods and horns on the bottom?
I like how you moved the rods and horns to the top on the sumo.
Why not put all of the electrics on the top? Is it because of the pretty airbrush job?

I think that put stuff on the bottom to keep it pretty.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
How about a head to head camparo with a Swift or Unicorn or CrashTestHobby Assassin combat plane?
Just curious how these will hold up long term. The ply motor mount looks a little fragile.
Or at least maybe a follow up showing whatever upgrades and repairs may have been done along the way...

Josh Bixler

Hi Jetpackninja

The plywood mount may not seem to strong, but it is really a great design. The mount is far better than the swifts top-mount style and very strong. I would love to try a CTH Assassin. That is a true flying wing!

RELLIK DEMANON

hey guys,
maybe some one can explain the problem I came across with understanding this video..
This is what I understood.

hi rate:
dual rate@100
expo@25
Low rate:
dual rate@100
expo@25

I'm lost. If both expos are the same, how will switching from high to low rate do anything? I must be missing something.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
On the smaller wing he had
hi rate:
dual rate@100
expo@25
Low rate:
dual rate@50
expo@25

On the larger wing he only measured once. Dunno if it's high or low rate, but he's got 3cm travel.

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
Here is a link to the Goop that we used...

<h1 style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; font-size: 18px; font-weight: 600; color: rgb(40, 40, 40); width: 329px; " data-mce-style="font-size: 18px; font-weight: 600; color: #282828; width: 329px; padding: 0px; margin: 0px;"><span style="font-size:11px;" data-mce-style="font-size: 11px;">Amazing GOOP 1 Oz. Interior/Exterior All-Purpose Contact Adhesive and Sealant</span></h1>

I used Shoe Goo on my Swift II, isn't this about the same stuff? It seems kind to foam, at least EPP. I have used it on my Bixler, to attach a piece of milk jug to the belly for short grass take-offs. It seemed fine at first, but in an area where it was thicker, and the fumes where trapped in, the foam started to soften. I removed the plastic, and scraped away all the wet Shoe Goo, and after a day the foams rigidity returned...Opps!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Shoe Goo
Amazing Goop (several different flavors)
E-6000

All are made by the same manufacturer and have similar properties.
I've had good luck with the Amazing Plumbing Goop- Home Depot carries it in or near the paint department. Get a roll of Extreme Tape while you are there :)

Slush Bob

i have never bought anything from HK. and i am not familiar with their stuff..i only have HH planes, i have a few 2200 eflite batteries that i want to use with this. so can i have the HK motor with a eflite speed control? i want the EC3 connector on the speed control. should i get a eflite speed controller then?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
From what I know, only Tx with Rx are proprietary. The rest is just to change the plugs and they'll work. HK motor with eflite speed control is OK as long as you have the right amperage and cell count on the ESC.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Slush-

Yes- you can use a Hobbyking motor with an E-Flite speed controller.

I'm not sure if the EC3 connector comes on the E-Flite speed controller- I've only bought one of this brand and I don't think it had a battery connector soldered on with it. The E-Flite contoller that I have works fine and the only thing I have against it is the price. I use a lot of these- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._SS_Series_25_30A_ESC_card_programmable_.html they are back in stock

One cool thing is that the female EC3 will plug into an XT60 male connector. Might not be a bad way to go if you are thinking about buying batteries from HobbyKing in the future.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I used to be an EC3 buyer but then when HK started shipping Lipo's with XT60's I decided they were a good enough plug to switch to. Having them in my hand I like them even more though I wish they would have the actual bullet connectors removable from the plastic shell. If so I wouldn't have to do any soldering to switch them over. They're the same bullet connectors on the inside. It's just the plastic outside that's different.

My son stumbled on that EC3 to XT60 cross too. Too bad it only goes one way.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Hahaha- They are removable. You just can't put them back in ;)
Just a couple 'o things to remember, plug them in to their opposing connector before soldering them.
If you have a plug that you have cut off and left the battery leads on, even better, the wire acts like a heat sink.
This is especially important when soldering the male connector, the amount of heat needed can actually be enough to soften the connector (the plastic part of it), if it's plugged into the female, they are held into the correct position and the pins don't get out of alignment.