Tek Sumo

PaulT

Mentor
After agonizing for what seems like forever, I have just ordered the HK Tek Sumo.
The agonizing part was that I have two (2) Bixler's which are great and wanted to advance to something and
anything with wheels are out, as I fly in fields with no hard surfaces to take off or land.
After watching the FT video I ordered the recommended (HK) setup (I can beef it up later:eek:).
I plan on using 1000 mah 3c to start with 7x5 and 6x5 props with prop savers.
HK 2818 1350kv motor with 20amp controller.
Looking at putting the servos on the top when I build it too.

Any suggestions would be most welcome...delivery will be around the middle of November I would expect.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
PaulT- I haven't seen either of these wings in person.
I really question HobbyKings wisdom in placing the electronics on the bottom of the plane.
We fly a lot of flying wings around here and are used to putting all of the electrics on top.
Every once in a while we miss the grass and end up landing in the parking lot.
The battery won't take a whole lot of those :)
The motor mount looks a little fragile to me but Bixler says it's pretty stout-
Have fun- post pics especially if you do any mods

Nitro Blast

I also am looking hard at the HK wings. The rudder mod Josh did spurred an idea, and I'd love to give my twist a try on a wing.
Keep us posted to what you like/dislike about that wing please!

PaulT

Mentor
This is more a leap of faith than anything. If nothing else, Flite test has done their job and got me to part with my money to
one of their MANY sponsors.:)
I will take pictures of the journey and intend on putting the trusted keychain camera (I love that thing) on the nose.
And speaking of leaping, can someone out there please help me explain to my (she who must be obeyed) lovely wife that I
HAD to add all the other items to my order since I was paying $36.00 for freight anyways! Hey, it's only $120.00!!!
See my next thread "Excuses that don't fly"

RELLIK DEMANON

I too decided to buy the Tek Sumo (subliminal messages to buy it in the video...lol) but I had gotten a different set up.
I don't remember where i seen this combination but this is what i ordered...

Hobbyking Tek sumo EPP wing 900mm
Tower pro brushless 2409-12t 1600kv motor
Turnigy plush 30A ESC
Gws 8040 props
3s 1000mAh 35c Lipo
and
3s 2200mAh Lipo battery
I am also waiting for certain backordered items to come in. catch ya in the air in November then...

srk

Rellik,

I have a tek on the way as well. Where did you find the Towerpro 2409? It's out of stock from HK and I never buy anything on BK from HK. Did you find another location to buy it or did you do the backorder thing from them?

I heard the stock setup is a little under powered and it doesn't do vertical very well thats why I'm looking for a bigger motor that will really make this thing rip around.

I too decided to buy the Tek Sumo (subliminal messages to buy it in the video...lol) but I had gotten a different set up.
I don't remember where i seen this combination but this is what i ordered...

Hobbyking Tek sumo EPP wing 900mm
Tower pro brushless 2409-12t 1600kv motor
Turnigy plush 30A ESC
Gws 8040 props
3s 1000mAh 35c Lipo
and
3s 2200mAh Lipo battery
I am also waiting for certain backordered items to come in. catch ya in the air in November then...

RELLIK DEMANON

I...unfortunately...am waiting because I bought a TowerPro 2409-12t 1600kv that is back ordered, but I did order another motor that octane81 on youtube advised me to buy. RCTimer 2826-10 1400kv on a 2200mAh for 15-20min.on an 8x4 prop. Ebay is your friend...:) Hope that helps..

Last edited:

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Highly recommend the Suppo 2208 1400kv with a 7x6 APC. Seriously crazy speed with this setup, and a very lightweight powerplant to boot

PaulT

Mentor
Had some time last night to finally put the plane together. Very easy. Was surprised that the recommended HK2218 was pushing
almost 160 watts with the 7x4 prop. Plane is under a pound so I'm not too worried about power at this point.
Can't wait to get it up in the air when the weather clears.

srk

My Sumo just arrived today. Looking forward to getting it in the air. I just need to get the motor and I'll be set.

Compa

could a NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv / 250w work for a 3S2200 setup with basic FPV cam/sender onboard?
i need a motor that fits that request, please help

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Yeah it should be enough!

If you wanna be sure just take a 30 or 40A ESC so you will always have the ability to upgrade.

A 3S 2200mAh Setup is always good to go with this size of plane with a FPV setup.
Also try not to take a too large FPV setup. The smaller the better.

What you can also do is download Drive Calc! This a nice little programm that calculates motors and thrusts (Schub mal ganz unter uns deutschsprechenden :) ) with different prop sizes.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
what would i need to watch & record on my laptop?

EasyCAP DC60 - USB 2.0 Audio/video Creator Capture High-quality Analog Video

31GsU-nT60L._AA300_.jpg

ananas - you beat me to it lol

Compa

wow guys you are FAST! :)

please help me another time.
did i forget something??

teksumo
2x HXT900 servo
NTM 28-26A 1200kv / 250w
fpv set & camera
carbon fiber tube
8x6 prop
turnigy find-me-beeper ;)

ESC, RX/TX, 3S2200mah and GOOOOP are rdy and waiting.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Some kind of linkage maybe if you don´t want to order one ourself.
So pushrods etc. and spare linkages other then the ones included with the Teksumo Kit (don´t know if there are any with it)

Also you might need something to hold the prop on the motor so a spinner.

That is all I can find right know that might be missing

antoine

From what I understand, you do not need a spinner for the TekSumo since you mount the motor with the shaft pointing towards then front of the airplane. You then mount the "screw" looking shaft that comes with your motor. Is this correct ?

I wanted to mount a folding prop but considering how it's built I think it's practically impossible to do so.