Tek Sumo

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Why not use MG 90s servos instead, with metal gears? They will last heaps longer and have much better resolution.

Vent

I already own spare HS-65HB hitec servos (karbonite gears), I believe they should be plenty strong enough?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I already own spare HS-65HB hitec servos (karbonite gears), I believe they should be plenty strong enough?

Those would work well I think. But I haven't tried them so I can't say about the resolution - my guess is they're good enough, Hitec is a reputable brand.

Vent

I use the metel gear version of those hitecs in a precision aerobatics bandit (3d model). Resolution is pretty good on that model so I assume it will be no problem on the sumo.

I'm more concerned about the power system on the TekSumo, I really don't know if it's suitable, it's much heavier than the hobyking recommended but then again I'll be balancing it out with a gopro up front and a 2200 3S battery.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I use the metel gear version of those hitecs in a precision aerobatics bandit (3d model). Resolution is pretty good on that model so I assume it will be no problem on the sumo.

I'm more concerned about the power system on the TekSumo, I really don't know if it's suitable, it's much heavier than the hobyking recommended but then again I'll be balancing it out with a gopro up front and a 2200 3S battery.
As long as the CG is right, wings seem to not care too much about a little extra weight. Up to a point of course, don't throw a cement block on there and expect it to fly!

Vent

Awesome, I'll soon go ahead and order the following:

I punched motor/battery/esc and prop data into ecalc and it was saying the 8x6 prop was too high pitch, something about prop blades stalling, so bumped the setup down to 8x5, as it turns out I have both 8x6 and 8x5 props from a previous plane to try out. It calculates around 960grams of thrust with 8x5.

Motor: NTM Prop Drive Series 35-30A 1400kv
Motor kit: NTM Prop Drive 35 Series Accessory Pack
ESC: Hobbyking YEP 30A ESC
Prop: JXF 8x5
Receiver: FrSky TFR4B 2.4Ghz 4CH
Servos: 2X hitec hs-65HB

FPV:
Fatshark AttitudeSD with TX/RX
Video/Audio out cable for gopro
ImmersionRC 5.8GHz Circular Polarized spiroNet Antenna

I wouldn't mind trying a simple OSD eventually too, but that's a whole different discussion :)