Tell Me How to "FliteTest" Review the XK DHC-2 from Gearbest.com

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
Thanks to gearbest.com, I will be reviewing the XK DHC-2 A600 ARF with 3D6G Stabilization. It comes ARF with a transmitter, battery, charger and 2 props with additional batteries available. The order was just placed today. Shipped 3-7 days to the East Coast, USA the total would be about $80.00... Less than banggood's price.

Gearbest invited me to review this product, so a full rundown of service provided as well as quality of the product will be given. In an effort to serve the FliteTest community, I am taking suggestions on how to "FliteTest" review this plane. My first thought, after the initial review, is to turn it into an FT or nn Mini. If I do that, I'll discuss the ease of repurposing the plane, including the stabilization gyro.

While I wait for it to arrive, I'd love to hear some suggestions on creative ways to use, abuse, destroy and repurpose this cute little DHC-2 Beaver.

1438016583320-P-2870142.jpg

Last edited:

JohnRambozo

Maybe I could have my son with no flying experience learn to fly the DHC-2 while I chase him with my electrohub and 'accidentally' get too close.

jamboree1

I'm not much into thoughts of how to review this other than one piece of advice. In no way should you use the term 'nice beaver' :p

JohnRambozo

I'm not much into thoughts of how to review this other than one piece of advice. In no way should you use the term 'nice beaver' :p

LMAO! I believe i said, cute little beaver... not much better. :black_eyed:

I think my title may be a little misleading... I know how to do an earnest review... I'm really just hoping to hear what the flitetest community would like to see done to the plane, without regard for its survival. Then I will try to harvest its innards for an FT Mini.

amy

I guess mostly people hope you do a honest review,not only say the advanttage.
LOL:P

dgrigor02

It's likely all one circuit board but I'd like to know if there is any chance to retrofit a spectrum receiver.

From the other videos, it looks like it is pretty capable little plane.

JohnRambozo

It's likely all one circuit board but I'd like to know if there is any chance to retrofit a spectrum receiver.

From the other videos, it looks like it is pretty capable little plane.

I thought it looked pretty good, too. And you're probably right about it being one board. I may just have to design a new plane to fit what's already inside.

As far as retrofitting a spektrum receiver. I can certainly test that for you. I fly spektrum and I'll do my best to get it wired up.

JohnRambozo

I guess mostly people hope you do a honest review,not only say the advanttage.
LOL:P

Welcome to the forums, amy! I will do an honest review, but I want to make it fun and show how to repair and reuse a plane to make something new, too!

jamboree1

I looked at the specs page, quite promising actually, I also noticed it is Futaba FHSS, with that in mind something like a anylink might works with it. I'm looking forward to the review, push it to it's engineering extremes, put it in the hands of a beginner, fly it in some wind, fly it indoors, test the range, try some high G loops, etc.

MrClean

FT Review it, like in the videos? Hope you're ready to fly it into something.

One of the things I always thought was funny, I come from flying combat all the time, is there brand new airplanes that after a couple of trim flights on video are then next seen running into each other. I know they're foam board but DANG MAN get a couple flights on them.

Look forward to your efforts.

JohnRambozo

I looked at the specs page, quite promising actually, I also noticed it is Futaba FHSS, with that in mind something like a anylink might works with it. I'm looking forward to the review, push it to it's engineering extremes, put it in the hands of a beginner, fly it in some wind, fly it indoors, test the range, try some high G loops, etc.

Thats a great list, jamboree. I will make sure I do all of those things. I am going to try to secure some indoor time. There really aren't any indoor fields that I know of in my area, but there's a sports complex that would be perfect if I can talk them into giving me 30 minutes maybe while they open up or close down the building.

I'm not familiar with the anylink. I'll look it up and see if it looks like something worth trying. Otherwise I will probably try to find a way to wire it into a spektrum receiver.

[EDIT]

I looked up the AnyLink 2. Great suggestion, jamboree. I'm not sure I want to spring $30 to try it, but I may. I kind of want to see if I can wire in some connectors, but I can see where the AnyLink would be great to have if you have a variety of RTF planes and want to keep using your favorite Tx.

FT Review it, like in the videos? Hope you're ready to fly it into something.

One of the things I always thought was funny, I come from flying combat all the time, is there brand new airplanes that after a couple of trim flights on video are then next seen running into each other. I know they're foam board but DANG MAN get a couple flights on them.

Look forward to your efforts.

I'm absolutely ready to fly it into something. I'll fly it until it breaks, repair it and break it again. I want to see how well it patches up. One of my favorite planes is my first plane, the FT Spitfire. I learned on that plane so it has some battle scars for sure. I broke the fuse in half once. Had it back in the air the same day and its still flying 2 years later.

Then when it can't take any more, I'm going to try to build it into an FT Mighty Mini.

Thanks for the interest, guys! Keep the ideas coming!

Last edited:

JohnRambozo

I got the plane and took it out in the cold at night! Here's the first flight video. Sorry I don't have a camera operator so I'm trying to keep the plane in the field of view. I'll post some stills in this thread soon showing details and discussing first impressions.

JohnRambozo

Lil bugger looks to fly decent, but maybe a smidgen tail heavy.

It actually does. I thought the same thing. Its also possible the gyro is calibrated to point up slightly. I'll try calibrating it with the tail elevated to see if that makes a difference.

I really wish the gyro would switch into 3D mode so I can do some loops, rolls and fly inverted. Following the instructions hasn't worked so far. I tried to loop under full power and the gyro stopped the pitch at vertical... it did go straight up as long as I held full back. Plenty of power.

I was impressed with the battery life, even in the cold. I was probably in the air 7+ minutes and it was not showing any signs of low battery. When I got back inside, the battery recharged in about 20 minutes.

jamboree1

Looking at description, 3d mode is for beginners... go figure, 6G mode is for full rates but keeps stabilizer on.. I see a button on top on left which might be the switch you are looking for.

JohnRambozo

Looking at description, 3d mode is for beginners... go figure, 6G mode is for full rates but keeps stabilizer on.. I see a button on top on left which might be the switch you are looking for.

I'll try again, but I would not count on the accuracy of the description. There are buttons on the top left and right of the transmitter that don't seem to do anything when pressed. I can't find any information on the intended use of these buttons.

This is from the manual:

1.Turn on is for 6G Mode. By pressing the aileron
joystick one second and change to 3D(Locking type)
2.3D mode flight.when plane in any position ,By
pressing Aileron joystick change to 6G mode.Plane
will be get back to the stable position.
3.6G Mode suitable for the begineer,3D mode can
do stunt.

I take that to mean:
1. It is in 6G by default when turned on. Pressing and holding the aileron stick (like a button) changes to 3D mode.
2. If in 3D mode, press the aileron stick for 6G mode (can be used as a panic button to get out of trouble)
3. Stunts are not for begineers. Haha, begineers.

I'll take the wing off so I can see the lights on the receiver. Maybe that will give me some indication of what's going on.

JohnRambozo

I found a micro lemon rx for cheap that has the micro connections. I'm going to buy 1 so I can swap out the on board gyro and just fly without correction using my Spektrum transmitter. Then I can fly however I like.

I'm also curious to see how the gyro setup works in an FT Mighty Mini. Any suggestions on which to put it in?