Templates instead of SBK?

hansdude

So, any chance FT would be able to sell swappable templates laser cut out of some kind of plastic or board instead of foam board? Something somewhat flexible would be cool since that would make it more durable.

I used the SBK as a template like was recommended on the show a few times and that works out well, but there are a few drawbacks to using the foam-board for that purpose.
  1. The paper extends beyond the foam because of the laser cutter, so after enough trace-outs the edges start getting mangled.
  2. You have to be careful where you store the kits because they can easily get crushed (oops I dropped my glue gun). Part of the cool thing about scratch builds is that you don't have some precious thing that absolutely can't die.
  3. They're light, but they have lots of volume. A thinner, more durable template might significantly reduce shipping cost, especially since you'd need less padding in the box.

It's very cool having the kits ready-to-build, but can we have templates also?

Thoughts?

Billchuck

You can get the plans printed at a print shop (FedEx or Office Depot, etc) for a few dollars. I printed the Versa plans, glued them to poster board with spray adhesive, then covered them with self-adhesive laminating sheet. They came out quite well.

handlauncher

You can get the plans printed at a print shop (FedEx or Office Depot, etc) for a few dollars. I printed the Versa plans, glued them to poster board with spray adhesive, then covered them with self-adhesive laminating sheet. They came out quite well.

Thats a great idea! beats the pants off of keeping paper plan cutouts in big folders...