Terrible Cub crash..what happened?

Carbon

Elemental Madness
IMG_0595.jpg
IMG_0593.jpg
IMG_0594.jpg

Well, from what I figured it lost signal. It was about 750ft away when it went into an all out nose dive.
anyway, I'll use this as an excuse to get a new motor. Any suggestions?

Carbon

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
No problem, these guys have been great, got all my stuff in a week and for Alaska that's good. By the way, your props from before won't fit anymore once you go to a 480 because they won't fit the adapter collet. You wouldn't want them to anyway because they aren't stiff enough and would fold under the extra power you'll have. I run a 10x7 slow fly prop from them. The APC style props in my opinion are the best out there. I run them on my nitro planes as well.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
No, you can't use the old mount. You can buy them or build them. I made my own out of balsa in about 30 minutes.

2012-02-27_17-28-20_149.jpg

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I screwed up a little by not having the motor high enough on the firewall so it doesn't come out of the cowling in the center of the hole. A little better planning and it will look stock.

Here's the motor mount and esc complete. I put the esc out front so it will stay cool. Also helped with my cg.

2012-02-28_01-23-25_222.jpg

Carbon

Elemental Madness
no, I most definatly did not have it on. I removed the sensors a while back to make room for my camera.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Since you are going brushless- get rid of the black brick while you are at it. It may have the cause of your crash anyway?
Gives you tons more room in the battery compartment.

Ad plus one or a whole bunch on the customrc supercub motor mount. Makes the whole thing easy.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
No, you can't use the old mount. You can buy them or build them. I made my own out of balsa in about 30 minutes.

View attachment 3867

I hate to disagree with AK- He really is a good guy and is going to give you tons of great information...
BUT- you can use the stock gearbox to fabricate a motor mount, but really- the customRC mount is the way to go. Only real reason to modify the stock gearbox is if you are a die hard do it yourselfer and wanna show everybody what you did :)

The customRC mount preserves the down and right angle that makes the stock cub fly so well.
Take pics of your repairs and upgrades and post 'em over on the show off your HZ Suprcub thread!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
You know, I hadn't thought about it but I suppose you could use it as a base to fab a new mount. My response was geared more towards it being a bolt in swap in which case a brushless outrunner can't simply be installed in place of the brushed 480. I haven't seen a mount made from the old one, it would be good to post a picture of such a mod here if anyone has one.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
I'll see if I can find a pic- I know I've seen it done on the RC Groups Supercub thread.
Basically you dremel or somehow chop of the front piece and the epoxy some ply or breadboard to the front of it...

Rcplaneguy

Minnesota Flyer
I screwed up a little by not having the motor high enough on the firewall so it doesn't come out of the cowling in the center of the hole. A little better planning and it will look stock.

Here's the motor mount and esc complete. I put the esc out front so it will stay cool. Also helped with my cg.

View attachment 3868

AK Flyer, how good is that turnigy 480? I'm thinking of buying one to put on a upcoming ARF

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
AK Flyer, how good is that turnigy 480? I'm thinking of buying one to put on a upcoming ARF

I have had two 480's, a 300 and a 250 and so far they are all absolutely fantastic motors. They spin up nice without jerking, they run quieter than others I've used and run cooler as well. So far I think they are great motors. I also have good experiences with the Suppo motors my friends and I bought from Altitude Hobbies.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
So I figured out why it crashed. The only explanation is interference from the near by cell tower. Other than that, I can't find any reason it would crash.

Fishbonez

Cell towers and even power lines. Here is a video of wha happened to FWD when I flew to close to powerlines. The lines coming straight from a power station and I can hear their hum from time to time. I originally thought it was my battery not being charged but after going back out some time later I had the exact same problem. Needless to say I have never flown there again. What stinks is this field is right behind my home. Literally right out my back door.

earthsciteach

Profound thought: every crash, no matter what, can be solved by this formula: (O+R)G=crash where
O=obstacle,
R=random glitch or mistake,
G=gravity