Testing an edf

Plane

Hi
I don’t have a lipo yet but got a 6 cell 7.2v nihm could I do a quick fire up with the edf on the ground before I get a lipo
Many Thnaks

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I don't think there is much to learn by running the EDF using the NiMH pack at 7.2V. If this is the same EDF that you have described in the other thread on ESC sizes, and you intend to run it on 3S lipo, (nominally 11.1 volts, fully charged 12.6 volts) then the only thing you will learn is whether the motor actually runs or not. You won't really be able to extrapolate forward to total current draw or thrust.

DamoRC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
It discharge rate 3000 mah

mAh is the capacity of the battery - milliamp hours. Simply put, the pack can theoretically deliver 3000 milliamps for 1 hour, that's 3 amps for an hour.

The max discharge rate is the max amps it can deliver under load which I believe is a lot lower for NiMh than Lipo.

DamoRC

d8veh

Elite member
It will show you that the motor turns, but that's about it. Bear in mind that for some ESCs you need to set the low-voltage cut-off. If it's set for 4S, it won't run on 7.2V.

Bricks

Master member
You could use the12volt battery in a vehicle if you really wanted to go thru the trouble of making connectors.

Plane

Thank you I have had the 40 amp esc now and next I am going to get a 2200mah 3c lipo for it should I stick to the XC60 connectors
Thanks

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Yep - the XT60s are pretty standard and will work for this.

For the battery you are getting a 3S 2200mAh - try to get a 35-40C at minimum. They may be a little more expensive but a lower C, cheaper battery will need to be replaced sooner costing you the price of a new battery.

Plane

Hi
Might be off topic but would ten sheets of A3 Foamboard be enough to make s standard size jet
Many thanks

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
By "standard" I assume you mean a jet that will use the 64mm EDF you have? About 30 - 35 inch wingspan.

10 x A3 sheet is about the same as 3 of the dollar tree foamboard (20 x 30 inches) so 10 x A3 should just about do it. Do you have a plan you are working with?

Plane

By "standard" I assume you mean a jet that will use the 64mm EDF you have? About 30 - 35 inch wingspan.

10 x A3 sheet is about the same as 3 of the dollar tree foamboard (20 x 30 inches) so 10 x A3 should just about do it. Do you have a plan you are working with?

Yeah I am still trying to find some planes of a jet similar to f 18 and f 16
Thanks

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
would ten sheets of A3 Foamboard be enough to make s standard size jet
I agree with @DamoRC , but I would get a few more just to be sure I have enough. It would be a sad day if you needed just 1 more to finish. What if you need to make repairs.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
What about a scaled down version of @Mid7night F-16?

Probably good to get a handle on what your thrust is going to be with the 64mm on 3S - this will influence the size of model you will be able to fly.

DamoRC