Testing Electric Propulsion Unit For a Light Airplane

YLogvin

Hello everyone, new here.
I want to share the results of our testing of a prototype electric propulsion unit for light aviation with a power of 80-100 hp.
Our tests showed that the 190 kg thrust that we get from our electric setup is enough for the aircraft takeoff and ascent.
🔥🔥✈️✈️✈️🔥🔥
Since we're new to electric aircraft in general, I'm curious to hear some thoughts about our tests from people with more experience.

P.S. English captions available

quorneng

Master member
The key factor is going to be how much does your electric system weigh and how long can it run at 100 hp.
I note the 100 hp Lycoming IO 233 weighs 200 lbs dry.

YLogvin

We'll get this data tomorrow. For now, long period tests, at 40kW on the ground show that this is enough to fly an airplane with a curb weight of 600 kg. with a speed of 170 km/h.
But at higher speed, the propeller will resist less and the motor will pick up more revs, and more power will be consumed.

Currently, due to the phase current limitation, the motor does not have enough torque to pick up revs on the ground.

b-29er

So from the sounds of it, you have the makings of an electric kitfox. You're basically competing with the Phazer conversions or aerovee at 80hp. IF you can figure out a resolution for the pitch speed inefficiency (variable pitch prop?) you could probably put in a sonex, but a kitfox, lil' buzzard or some other bushplane is probably where you're looking for a testbed. How much does your motor/controller setup weigh, and how about the batteries?

YLogvin

Yes, the variable propeller will allow us to better realize the power, the weight of our setup is 240kg at 35 kWt * h energy. For tests we will apply 42kWt * h energy at 278kg weight.