Thank you.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
If you're reading this, I'd like to say thank you.

I've asked a few of the forum users to help out with some of the not so glamorous tasks that keep the forum running smoothly for the rest of the members. If you're here, then I've picked you because you've shown yourself to be someone who's worked to improve the forum already.

I've spoken with Chad about doing this moderation thing a little differently. I don't want the task of moderation to become a life sentence burden. So I'll only be asking you to work as moderators for a set duration. I haven't set a time limit yet, but I was thinking a matter of a few months at a time. If you are still interested in helping with this, we will likely ask you to do another rotation, hopefully after giving you a break.

Mostly what I hope will be needed, is just spam policing. We don't want to be one of those forums that are rules heavy. At the same time, we don't want a few bad apples ruining things for the rest of the forum users. One thing Chad has mentioned as being something he doesn't want on the forum is indecently clothed people. If someone wants to post about women in bikinis, or less, there are plenty of other forums for that.

I'll post some threads with tutorials on how to delete posts, and close threads. Also how to ban users that are there purely for spam.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. I am available through the forum, as well as at my email address of fredprovost@gmail.com

Thank you all,

Fred Provost

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Sounds clear and reasonable. I'm happy to contribute and hope to be of useful service.

—Jim

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I'll add that I am also on Facebook, and usually have it running in the background, and you can contact me in IM with that. You'll see me posting on the Flite Test Facebook page under Fred Provost.

I'm impressed with our first pick of Moderators. We have a well rounded international team. Hopefully you all know each other. If not, it might be a good idea to do so here. You guys will end up as a team, and it will be good if you guys mesh well.

I'll start. Hi, I'm Fred Provost. I'm a bit of a forum addict. I've been very active on various forums for several years now. Much to the chagrin of many a moderator. I started off on RCGroups, and a scuba diving forum, and now have user names on many more. I like airplanes. Too much sometimes. My coworkers cringe when I stumble upon someone that shares my interest, they know an airplane conversation is about to ensue for an undeterminable amount of time. I've been doing RC "successfully" for about 6 years now. I've been trying to do it for more like 25. My first sustained flights somewhere around 10 years ago and were with a GWS Cub, using if I remember correctly 5 cell nicads with a little stove timer style charger that often over charged the batteries to the point I couldn't get them to keep the plane in the air past launch.

I joined this forum when Chad surprised me with the information that they had one nearly developed, but was still working on it. I eagerly and selfishly begged to be a part of it. Little did I know what I was getting myself into. This forum is growing very quickly now, with a great community of like minded people. It's exciting and a little scary, and I'm thrilled to know there's people who are as excited as I am about helping keep this momentum moving forward.

I know I tend to wax poetic about the Flite Test team in general, and Chad in particular, but they bring a level of excitement back to the hobby that I had shifted away from. I am not a particularly skilled pilot. I do not strive to better myself with hours and hours of practice. This is a hobby for me. I love the sights of aircraft in the air. I get a thrill out of launching a plane, controlling it's movements (to some degree at least) and successfully landing it once again. I take pleasure in coming up with a design, cutting it from foam, and getting it to stay in the air longer than if I had just tossed it and let it fall on it's own. I have enjoyed several times, introducing someone to this hobby, getting them hooked, and often times drawing the ire of their wives. It is so rewarding to have worked with someone from the beginning, watch them struggle with their first few flights, then sharing the joy as they complete their first successful solo. These are all characteristics that Flite Test embodies. They're fun, they encourage the beginner, they're not afraid to show their failures, and they never take themselves too seriously.

How could a guy like me not love that?

That's me in a nutshell. My wife would say, emphasis on the nut part. :D

PaulT

Mentor
Thanks for sharing Fred.
As a kid I dreamed of being a commercial pilot and even got my private license at 19, but alas genetics caught up to me
(colour blind) and was restricted to daytime restricted airspace only. Always loved flying and my first rc plane back in the 60's (that would be 1968) was a control line Spit with a Cox .049.
Fast forward. Started with my son last year converting a 1980's 2m Metrik sailplane to electric which I built 18 years ago.
Picked up on Flite Test last year, bought two successive Bixlers and have a couple other projects started.
The, now 16 year old son, is a robotics genius and is doing a tri-copter (both autonomous and controlled) in school this
year along with his robot for competition (place 98th in the worlds last year in Florida)
Just a hobby but it has taught me more about my son and we have a blast.
Professionally I am a Paramedic with the only private ambulance service in my Province. I am very fortunate to be able to fly
around the world repatriating Canadians home if they get sick or injured.
Winter time sees me almost weekly in Arizona, Nevada, Florida, California and other southern climes that we Canucks go to
get out of the cold. The odd trip to China, Australia, New Zealand and South America into the mix, too.
I really wish I could take a plane on these trips!:(
Only here to help if and when I can. Nice thing about technology is that usually I am internet connected in some of the most
remote areas of the world because cell coverage is way more available than land lines. And I love my iphone!
I also have three daughters (all in various stages of university and my very supportive wife (who is just doing a masters
degree after 30 years of nursing)
I really think this could be a great site for new and old alike to share and grow the hobby.
Here's my face book page;
http://www.facebook.com/people/Paul-Theriault/651461387
You will need to request to be added to see my site, so feel free to ask.

Last edited:

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
Hi all
Thanks for sharing both of you
My story is I have always loved flight, when I was younger my old man built a balsa tissue job with a rubber band motor
we went to the local field and the old man had a hand drill to wind it up.... conditions must have been perfect because
he launched that plane and it climbed and climbed we were chasing it for what seemed like ages into trees and never seen again
but the old man was smiling and whooping how his baby flew....i loved it and have always mucked about with anything that flew
Frisbee ,kites, especially stunt kites...But all of a sudden as electric flight became cheaper and more accessible i was hooked
straight away and now the possibilities are endless ...flitetest has helped me tremendously and am glad to help out anyway
I can
On a personal note i am married to a lovely ,patient and forgiving young wife we have four
children ranging from 14 down to six, 3 boys and a girl. I am in between jobs at the moment but
have spent the last 30 years putting on factory roofs all over the uk

Last edited: