The 8*6E Propeller is puller or pusher?

kareez

Hi.
I have a very beginner question. ;)
The 8*6E (Attached picture) is puller or pusher?
I'm going to put it behind the model.
Thanks.

Attachments

• Propeller.jpg
    Propeller.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 0

Wildthing

Legendary member
Hi.
I have a very beginner question. ;)
The 8*6E (Attached picture) is puller or pusher?
I'm going to put it behind the model.
Thanks.
Doesn't matter just reverse 2 wires on the motor so it is turning the right direction an go. BUT, always make sure the writing on the prop is facing forward

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
With brushless motors, any prop can be mounted as a tractor prop (in front) or as a pusher (in back). Just make sure the numbers on the prop are facing the direction of travel. If you put the numbers facing where the plane has been, you will reduce the thrust by 40-60%.

The term "pusher or puller" is a throw back to the old days of nitro motors. With a nitro motor you could not easily reverse the rotation. It was far easier to change the prop. With brushless motors, you reverse the rotation of the motor by switching any 2 of the 3 wires that power it. Now any prop can be mounted as a tractor prop (in front) or as a pusher (in back). Just change the direction the motor spins.

Hoomi

Master member
There is one caveat to the idea of just reversing the motor leads. You can buy reverse props to use as pushers, that allow the motor to turn in the same direction as the tractor prop configuration. With the normal rotation of the motor, the torque of the motor against the drag of the propeller constantly puts pressure on the prop retention nut in the direction to tighten the nut. If you take a standard prop, flip it around, reverse the motor wires, and mount it backwards to serve as a pusher, that torque versus drag will put pressure in the direction to loosen the prop retention nut.

It will still work, but be sure to take measures to prevent your prop from coming loose in flight. If your prop comes loose, it may not come completely off the plane, but the motor won't be providing any thrust to keep your airspeed up. Additionally, some motors don't always do well running for any length of time with no load.

MiniacRC

@Hoomi made a very good point @kareez.
I believe the prop you have there is an Ares sport prop, a standard puller/"tractor" that will spin counterclockwise (CCW) when looking at the nose of the airplane (prop numbers facing forward). With brushless motors these days, reversing spin direction is as easy as switching two of the leads at the motor-esc connection.
Additionally, it doesn't really matter whether you use a CCW or CW prop for pusher airplanes. The torque roll and other inertial/aerodynamic moments they generate don't affect the airframe as much as they would in a puller configuration.

Biggest point. As Hoomi said, in some configurations the nut will self-tighten/self-loosen with either rapid spin-up or spin-down of the motor (I've had both happen when I failed to use locking nuts). The best cookie-cutter solution that I've adopted for years is to use nylon lock-nuts from department stores like Home Depot and tighten the daylights out of them (well, not crazy tight) to ensure that prop will stay on and stay spinning with the motor.
1f78661e-3bb3-4b5f-bf59-f0b02837db51_1.31a7494065ce93f10df29b71bece1472.jpeg

Wildthing

Legendary member
I have never really had a problem with props coming loose unless it touches the ground on some of my not so smooth landings :)

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
On quadcopters, the prop nut coming lose is a problem. This is due to the flight controller starting and stopping quad motor many times per second to maintain balance.

On planes, we don't have this problem, our motors run more or less at the same speed, that is unless you are constantly flicking the throttle. It's the constant starting and stopping that will cause the prop nut to work lose. Just give the prop nut an extra snug with a plies and you will be fine.