The "AC-One Dirty" Cargo Plane

Crash and Burn RC

Geeterduuun
Hey everyone,
My grandfather and I recently began to build this giant RC Cargo plane.
It has a 5 foot wingspan, but the fuselage is what makes it huge.
It's not close to completion, but here is a mockup picture:
Screen Shot 2016-02-14 at 4.06.45 PM.png
It uses 1" thick insulation foam and will be powered by 2 2212 1400kv Emax motors spinning a 9047.
Any tips are welcome, as this is my first big build!
Colin

Crash and Burn RC

Geeterduuun
So I thought in order to get this thread going, I would post some more in-depth build pictures.

Foam to me comparison

Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 9.09.18 AM.png

Fuse parts cut out

Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 9.09.42 AM.png

Before Fuse and wing assembly

Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 9.09.33 AM.png

More will be coming, and I am open to any comments, suggestions, or critiques.
Colin

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Looks like you are off to a good start on this project. I have worked with that stuff before on the outside of houses before siding goes up. If I remember that stuff was pretty brittle. I don't remember inch thick though way back when it was done. Its going to be interesting to see the maiden and how well that fly's. I have some ideas I did in MS paint for a stealth edf jet I never got around to that would use the half inch stuff layered into one solid chunk but sculpted as it grew. If yours does well maybe Ill goof around with my idea this summer.

Gl with the build.

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
I don't think those 2212 emax motors are going to cut it. You're gonna want larger props, probably in the 11-12" range, and you're going to need much larger motors than that to spin them. Especially with the weak shafts on the emax motors, if it even got off the ground, the instant a prop touches that motor would be gone.

Crash and Burn RC

Geeterduuun
I don't think those 2212 emax motors are going to cut it. You're gonna want larger props, probably in the 11-12" range, and you're going to need much larger motors than that to spin them. Especially with the weak shafts on the emax motors, if it even got off the ground, the instant a prop touches that motor would be gone.

Hello Scotty,
Online the propeller testing data showed one of those motors pulling roughly 900g, and times two that is 1.8kg. At the moment, the plane is looking to be in the 2-2.5kg range. Your right, they won't be enough to pull it vertically, but this plane is more for heavy lift slow flying. Also, because of where the motor will be placed, the propellors will not be able to hit the ground. (it is good to know about the emax's weak shafts, I had no idea about that before). But I do want to increase the motor size in the future so that it will have more power.
Thanks,
Colin

Rnc

Project Status?

C & B, Did you ever get your AC-One completed and in the air ? What have you learned?

Rnc