The Aero L-39 ... Next scratchbuild

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
some years agom i made a rc car custom body in fiberglass.. i think used only one layer, came out fabolous, and still going on. And minimal differences in weight from a normal plastic body.
This is not using epoxy type resin remember, that makes it too heavy The water based varnish I'm using here adds little weight as the water evaporates off.
Downside is that it's not as tough, always remaining a bit flexible.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
The finished canopy, trimmed around the edges then glued around the bottom with a touch of UHU POR.
I'm very happy how it's come out. The nose has had some more filler applied this morning on a few patches.
IMG_20200227_072920580.jpg

Last edited:

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
No time yesterday evening to do any more on the plane but before heading off to work I stripped most of the fuse and applied some filler. I want to smooth off the top deck behind the canopy with all the foamboard joints it just looked a bit rough to me.
Also rounding the air intakes profile.
IMG_20200228_080301778.jpg IMG_20200228_080307965.jpg

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
What's the approximated weight of this plane?
I was about 20gms over the weight stated on the plans before I started on the fiberglassing route. I actually think it will turn out a little lighter as I'm removing heavier paper and also a fair bit of foam. Most of the filler is actually sanded off too it's just used to smooth off and fill the gaps.
I'll definitely weigh it afterwards.

In other news, I've just ordered a TAFT Viper airframe. It's a 1450mm EDF jet with a flying weight around 3.1 kg and I'll fit a 90mm 3.5 kg thrust 6S power unit.
http://www.f-hobby.com/taft-hobby-viper-v3-bk-pnp-and-kit-p-134