The Amateur Radio License "ELMER" Thread

airheadbit

Sorry, yes I'm in the US. So would this http://https://www.sparkfun.com/products/155 be something to look into if I wanted to start thinking about DIYing a controller? I'm going to be ordering a realativly cheap 4 or 6 channel transmitter to learn to fly with, but I want to stretch my skills a bit. I am hoping to use RC planes and quads to do surveys for my ecological engineering degree, so rather than paying an extra $50 for every new button or function it make sense to use something like a raspberry pi and or an arduino. I'd like to make it modular so I can try out different radios, switch layouts, and the like.

You make a good point about wanting to keep the power as low as need to get the job done. So far all of my licensed transmissions have been under 5w. I am a little worried about losing signal with a very directional antenna. Would I need to build some kind of tracking mount to keep it lined up?

IFlyRCstuff I used a smartphone app and just bashed through the test until I had the rules down. The electronics questions are pretty basic. You'll be able to pass it.

I picked up a used FrSky Taranis X9D Plus 2.4GHz ACCST Radio & X8R Combo w/ case (Mode 2) with a damaged screen cover at a good price. The Taranis is expandable and programmable, you can switch the transmit module or add a second cost effectively. My goal is a animal tracking/counting survey system using a Nvidia core for non-domestic animals and a WiFi tagged system for domestic animals. I'd rather spend my time working the tag and vision issues, other people have create very flexible RC controllers. OrangeRX has a nice $60 433mhz 1 watt system that is plug and play with the Taranis.
FYI there is software for the PIXHAWK to act as a base tracking device... In case you wanted to save some money.

Opus633

OK we all, if we can read, study sample questions and pass all three classes of licenses (I did) BUT would it not be better to slow down and actually understand the theory behind radio?I have a very good knowledge of electronics (even taught vocational school electronics for a bunch of years.)

UCChris

MO Flight Crew
I'm currently studying and taking a class for my Technician license. A buddy of mine got me into it and I've found that I really love it. With any luck, I may be getting my General on the same day as my Technician.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
OK we all, if we can read, study sample questions and pass all three classes of licenses (I did) BUT would it not be better to slow down and actually understand the theory behind radio?I have a very good knowledge of electronics (even taught vocational school electronics for a bunch of years.)

Eh, just get through the tests/licenses since you can usually do multiple tests in one sitting so you can save a bit of money and time, then take the time as you explore the hobby to really understand it!

WM4MM

Since I want to use the 433 Mhz frequency for long-range telecommand and fly FPV, I will need to get an amateur technician license. I also have some students who would like to do the same, so they are studying for the test coming up in a couple of weeks.

The aforementioned app has been a huge help - after using it to study, I am able to get 100% on all practice exams. I have my students using the app also, and they are making a lot of great progress. To assist with retention, I have also been using the Ham Whisperer videos (although I have found some errors in them, and they tend to put my students to sleep). I ordered the ARRL study guide (http://amzn.to/1Llt22V) since I want to actually understand the concepts and not just memorize answers for the test. I have also used the study guide as a reference when helping my students to understand the material since some of it is over their heads.

Between the app, videos, and study guide, anyone willing to put the time into studying should have no problem passing the test at all, and more importantly will actually come away from their study sessions understanding what is being discussed. It was this understanding that motivated me to keep learning rather than just stop when I had the minimum amount of knowledge needed to simply pass the tech test and use long-range/FPV systems.

For anyone thinking that they are just going to do whatever they want without getting the licenses needed to legally do so - PLEASE don't be that guy. That type of thinking is what ruins fun activities for all of us, and ultimately leads to over-regulation and bans; we have enough of both already and don't need any more. Worse still, that attitude is what gets people hurt or killed. Given the issues that we face at this point in time, we need to show the general public and government agencies that we can be responsible, self-regulating individuals who ensure that we are being safe while having fun. What you learn is only going to make you a better, safer pilot.
There are those that only use the online study guides based on the answers to previous exams that have even gotten their Xtra class with no problems at all. Unfortunately these types have no clue as to how radio works which is unfortunate. That does not make them poor operators but it , in my opinion, makes them afraid to experiment with different antennas and electronic gear.

MrGoodwreck

There are those that only use the online study guides based on the answers to previous exams that have even gotten their Xtra class with no problems at all. Unfortunately these types have no clue as to how radio works which is unfortunate. That does not make them poor operators but it , in my opinion, makes them afraid to experiment with different antennas and electronic gear.

I have to agree with this,

You can just go memorize the question pool, but you do only end up slowing yourself down in the long run.

I would almost rather see these types of people just memorize the Tech portion, and spend a year or two learning about how to use your radios, and the basics first.

You're going to end up wanting to experiment with simple antenna builds anyway, and do yourself a lot more good in the long run.

W6KMD/ AE

WM4MM

I have to agree with this,

You can just go memorize the question pool, but you do only end up slowing yourself down in the long run.

I would almost rather see these types of people just memorize the Tech portion, and spend a year or two learning about how to use your radios, and the basics first.

You're going to end up wanting to experiment with simple antenna builds anyway, and do yourself a lot more good in the long run.

W6KMD/ AE
Since the hurricane "Michael" in which I lost my radios and antennas I basically am not on the air . Thinking about a low power rig (G90) but still am paying for other storm damage. Did save enough balsa to start building a highly modified BOT sailplane.

pipemajor

One of the area Hams, who is also a modeler, contacted most of the area clubs a couple of years ago to 'remind' them FPV activity does require an FCC license. His Ham club was ramping up a class for the Technician operator class. I decided to get my license and it led to yet another hobby.

WA7HPK