The application of elephants toothpaste as weapon for FT combat

Pigfarm1403

Builder
So recently I have finished making a c-130ish style airplane for flite fest. I know by the time that Flite Fest Ohio comes around I will be willing to put it up in combat, the planes name is esCARGO for future reference. For now though I want to test a potential weapon that I could use that is both nonlethal and biodegradable as a method of defense, and my solution is really weird. If you combine 3% hydrogen peroxide with water, dish-soap, and yeast it creates a foam that expands rapidly called elephants toothpaste. I plan on ramping it up by using 35% hydrogen peroxide, the kind you see in the extreme demos, and somehow making it servo activated. The plan is when an airplane is following me in combat I can flip a switch and activate the chemical reaction and send a sea of foam towards my foe. The foam will either get torn up by turbulence or throw off the chasing aircraft but either way it will be awesome. Does anybody have any suggestions about experiment? This is my first time bringing liquids up on an RC plane so it will be interesting to see how this pans out. I might have to use 3% hydrogen peroxide though because the high concentration might burn skin. I'll test booth with the plane but I will probably have to use the safer option if I use it in combat. My next project after this will be twin airsoft guns controlled by a server mounted within the wings of a large ft spitfire.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Good luck with that - remember that liquids are one of the heaviest things to carry, weighing as much in some cases as a battery. That's why backpackers try to carry dehydrated foods when they go on long hikes; liquids make it heavier. If you put something on like that, you'll want it as close to your CG as possible, so that if you can trigger it, it doesn't cause oscillations with flight once the liquid's dumped and the plane becomes nose heavy (assuming you've got the "tank" towards the back).

If you can get it working, let us know!

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I like both ideas but I don't think the airsoft idea would be great for flite fest. I think it would be fine on your own property with some friends but it's probably too risky for flite fest. The elephants toothpaste is an interesting idea, I wonder how effective a small water gun would be in combat?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Will be interesting to see the reactions of those in combat after having been "gooped". They expect spectacular crashing not getting slimed. Which brings up nose art hehe. Are you a fan of Ghost Busters by chance?

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Will be interesting to see the reactions of those in combat after having been "gooped". They expect spectacular crashing not getting slimed. Which brings up nose art hehe. Are you a fan of Ghost Busters by chance?

I think a sound system in also in store for this bird if that theme is chosen...

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Sorry for being the party pooper here. While I love the idea and would get a chuckle out of the surprised faces, I am not sure if it is a good idea to disperse something in the air that is biodegradable but still can cause irritation of eyes, throat, respiratory airway and skin... with all the visitors standing close by.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Sorry for being the party pooper here. While I love the idea and would get a chuckle out of the surprised faces, I am not sure if it is a good idea to disperse something in the air that is biodegradable but still can cause irritation of eyes, throat, respiratory airway and skin... with all the visitors standing close by.

Good point, Balu.

On that note, though, I'm going to steer back a bit to the sound system...I wonder if I could rig something up with a cheap MP3 player and thin speakers that I could put in the wings, just so that I could fly over with a warbird, blaring "Ride of the Valkyries". :) I'd have to rig up a switch to start/stop the sound, though, because I could see some people getting annoyed with it.