The art of flying on the prop.

Manta1

Hi folks.Manta1 here.

I started flying around 5 years ago. My first plane was a firebird freedom with the little plastic radio and a DVD tha comes with it to teach you how to fly. Very exciting time for me.

My first aileron plane was a T-28 Trojan from horizon hobbies.Man that plane was a blast and a darn good aileron trainer.

I've had several other different planes since but the 3D bug hit me hard. Making a plane fly on the prop and flying it in so many different attitudes just has consumed my interest in this hobby.

I also love electrics. I fly everythig from the small electric foamie to a 50cc Slick 540 3D machine. ALL on electric power. I have nothing against gas though, love the sound and flight times.

I know a little more about electrics so that is what I will post about.

Attachments

• 0430111925 (2).jpg
    0430111925 (2).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Copy (1) of 71slick.jpg
    Copy (1) of 71slick.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0424.jpg
    DSC_0424.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited by a moderator:

Manta1

My take on selecting a 3D model.

So,what kind of planes fly 3d?

Answer is any of the ones you setup with enough throws and power and skill to make them fly that way.

For the novice like me though, it's better choose an airframe that is designed for it. FOAM is never,ever a bad choice for 3D trainers. Repairs are usually easy peezy and EPP is tough. Foam is also cheap.

There's a saying that goes,"only fly what you can afford to crash." You can design and cut out your own foam planes or buy arf setups. A good search will come up with several companies with offerings of good foam 3d arf kits.

Setup of this and any type of aircraft is very important. The balance between the weight or the motor, batteries, escs, external becs and even receivers all add, or take away from the performance of the aircraft. Most all the good manufacturers that produce and sell these have recommended systems that will balance the plane to fly as designed.

http://vimeo.com/28878480

Last edited by a moderator:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Thank you for this nice thread. I really like the third picture. Awesome! I'm always left speechless by the skill of 3D flyers...

Manta1

Thankyou Colorex. I will try to get some pictures of my setups and get them in here this week. Flying Monkey is coming up tomorrow maybe we can shoot some pics and a little video of this fly in we have going on this week at Hodges Hobbies.

Evel Knievel

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
I'll chime in on a couple of points Manta made earlier.

First, Foam is a great place to start for all the reasons Manta said.

The setup is crucial! In many cases the setup is more important than what air frame you choose. Proper setup will both maximize aircraft performance and customize the feel of the airplane to your preferences. Because a good setup takes into account your personal preferences, no one setup is universally correct. Nonetheless, I'll mention a few starting points that are fairly universal.

1. When you have a lot of control throw, exponential is your friend! This will really help in the beginning when you are just getting used to the very responsive control characteristics. With 45-50 degrees of throw 40-60% Expo is a good starting range. For the first flights it might be a good idea to err on the high side to assure a soft feel that is not "twitchy".

2. Center of Gravity (CG) is key. A lot of people think a plane has to be very tail-heavy to fly 3D and it is simply not so. A very tail-heavy plane will be somewhat easier to hover but this configuration makes all other flight characteristics very poor. A neutral CG is usually preferred for 3D. In this configuration the aircraft, when trimmed, will fly upright or inverted with no elevator input. If the aircraft climes, "hands off", when inverted it is too tail heavy.

I have been flying 3D for 10 years now and I believe that these two concepts are the most important things to consider when starting out in 3D.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I hate to discredit anyone commenting on here, but... I saw Mr. Evel fly this weekend, and I'm not so sure I want to learn to fly the way HE does, just look at where the transmitter is...

DSC_2993.jpg DSC_2994.jpg DSC_2995.jpg DSC_2996.jpg

Of course I am joking. Chris is an amazing pilot, and I am thrilled he has joined us on here. I'd say he's our first sponsored pilot to make an appearance.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
LOL That's an awesome pilot... I'm thinking Back to the Future? Marty playing the guitar behind his head...

Manta1

Yea we had a great week at our home field, Hodges Hobbies this past week. I got roped into doing my first ever noon time demonstration, which was conservative in the wind we had. To say the least. The crowd was nice to me and Saturday I was roped again into doing another flight during the demo. I was extremely nervous both times. But honored I was asked to the 2nd time lol.

theKM

oh look, a new forum! :)

...the art of flying on the prop, great title Manta!

This hobby is the coolest their is because of all the different things to try (just look at all the different things to try!), but aerobatics provides us with continual new challenges... new maneuvers and flying styles to try out, advancements in airframes, helping people try new things, it's truly exciting to be a part of. I'm hooked, that's for sure...

104ComfortFood_01.jpg

RedRanger

Trying to Learn

Hey Guys,

Just looking to observe and learn. Flying 32"SBach and 48"Edge540 both scratch built faomies(my 3D planes). So far on my learning curve its been about CG and throws(small throws are a good thing to start with:p). Just started flying last October so I am loving all the learning everyone provides.

Looking forward to some good lessons!

Regards

E.

sfactor1

hey evel....what can handle a crash better, addiction or addictionx? im guessing the smaller plane but the x is newer.

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
I have a trainer which prop hangs with barely any input, although its not designed for 3D. Shows how much more stable high wing aircraft are :p also this

bubsteve

You can fly 3/D and do it well on TX's with no bell's or whistles,,;) I've been at it a while but have taught several of my club kid's to as well,, Is 3/D easyer with bell's an whistles,,I'll bet it is as Evel's one of the best I've ever seen and knows his stuff too!:) But just say'in you can on older FM TX's and have a BALL!:cool: Good thread here Manta ,, See ya at SEFF!! bubsteve

Attachments

• SAM_0182.jpg
    SAM_0182.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 41
  • SAM_0175.jpg
    SAM_0175.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 155254_1652266980329_1046641667_1758404_2776567_n.jpg
    155254_1652266980329_1046641667_1758404_2776567_n.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 38
  • SAM_0386.jpg
    SAM_0386.jpg