The Aura 5 Lite and Sub-Trims

JManAZ

Can I sub-trim a plane in my DX8G2 without a negative effect on the Aura? Such as "Launch Assist". I thought Josh at FT mentioned doing it before...on a video. Just can't find it now....Thanks!!

Last edited:

dap35

Elite member
Can I sub-trim a plane in my DX8G2 without a negative effect on the Aura? Such as "Launch Assist". I thought Josh at FT mentioned doing it before...on a video. Just can't find it now....Thanks!!
Short answer is no. You need to go through the Quick Trim option, which moves any of the trim from your TX to the Aura.

"Because a variety of control algorithms are used now and in the future, it is important that the Flight Controller know true transmitter 'Stick Center'. A traditional transmitter combines the pilot's stick position with trim and subtrim in each channel. Since the Aura has no way to differentiate transmitter trim or transmitter sub-trim from transmitter stick input, transmitter trim and sub-trim should be avoided. Any needed trim/sub-trim offsets should be made in the Aura Servo Ports (or with Quick Trim, or mechanically). Aura contains special routines such as Quick Trim to allow you to easily set your trim/sub-trim in the Aura at the field without a PC application."

dap35

Elite member
This is excellent. Thanks for the reference material.
I learned the hard way. Sub-trims or even too much trim makes it look like the sticks are being held off center, and as a result, you can't engage Launch Assist.

JManAZ

Today I made a big mistake sort of. I used launch assist on a maiden. Bent motor shaft was the result. Don't know why I did that. On the other
Aura equipped plane I took off in Mode 1. Flew around making small trim adjustments. Landed and did the "trim button shuffle" on the Aura.
That plane (a T-28) fly's so beautifully with it on board. Thinking a little over confidence got in the way today.