"The Beef" equivalent in an NTM motor for swappables

Hello folks, I have built and flown a few planes, and I keep hearing from FT how good the beef motors are, but I like the NTM motors and want to stay with them (mostly for comparison reasons). Can anyone tell mw what the NTM equivalent be for the motor recommendation for the Racer, and Duster? I currently have some NTM 28-26 1200KV motors with an 8X6E prop on a Bloody Wonder and it just SCREAMS! I have a versa but want to build a new one with a pusher motor/ESC/Prop, in addition to the Duster and maybe Racer i want to build, but FT is now pushing THe Beef, and the other motors instead of the HK NTM motors, any help would be appreciated.

Also, I know its obscene, but I wanted to build a power pod like David Windestals Spitfire in the Speed Challenge. I know its a 35-36 2800kv and someone here said the ESC looked like a K-Force 80A. Can anyone confirm this and recommend that setup just for demonstration purposes and or even a faster setup? I do have a Turnigy Mega Meter to help measure the watts when I build to ensure I dont burn things up

tramsgar

I know its a 35-36 2800kv

I thought that was the NTM PropDrive 35-36 1800kv they were over-propping in that challenge. I got the same setup to maiden today, I'll get back with my opinion wether you like it or not =).

As for the "BEEF" equivalent... Maybe the 28-26 1450 kV? There's no exact equivalent. As for what David mounted in his Slinger the 28-30 1200kv or the 28-36 1000KV might get close.

I wouldn't focus so much on actual specs, but rather do my own calculations and choice based on the power in W and the rough kV/prop size. As you measure your setups you're all set to do that!

whiskeyjack

Hi Rigo,
I would appreciate hearing about your test results as well. I've got about 6 motors from HK picked out that could or could not be cross referranced to the motor combos from Lazertoys and Grayson. As I usually order from the international warehouse it would be great to have someone elses opinion to base my choises on. Now if HK can only sort out thier shipping woes from Hong Kong I maybe get started. Thanks in advance for your effort, WJ.

Last edited:
ON the topic of HK ..... Has anyone else bad issues ordering from the US warehouse? I have placed orders from HK International, and get the 3-4 stages of order within 2-3 days, with the US warehouse, its in "print que" for like 4-6 business days, WTH guys? I want to build a Duster as a X-Mas gift, but now it seems I have to build one soon so I can play with the different motor types because of these delays

tramsgar

All I know is that I've been waiting for a package from the EU warehouse since the 19:th of september. All in stock at time of order. Go figure...

Anyway I maidened my racer with a NTM 35-36 1800kV, 3S 2.2 Ah, 8x4 (conservative for the maiden). First throw was too weak, didn't have enough throttle so it went into the ground. Some glue and tape later I tried again with more throttle and harder throw, and it wobbled away to take to the skies. Insane roll rate =)! That plane is very heavy with that battery and motor, I can just about push the battery far back enough for it to balance out. Will run on smaller prop and 4S the next time, because the battery was quite hot on landing, and the flight tiime not so impressive. That motor is quite silent anyway, with a well balanced prop, and although I can recommend it for the racer I'd still suggest something a bit lighter combined with prop and voltage close to the limits for max power. Hope that helps a little?

richb2599

All I know is that I've been waiting for a package from the EU warehouse since the 19:th of september. All in stock at time of order. Go figure...

Anyway I maidened my racer with a NTM 35-36 1800kV, 3S 2.2 Ah, 8x4 (conservative for the maiden). First throw was too weak, didn't have enough throttle so it went into the ground. Some glue and tape later I tried again with more throttle and harder throw, and it wobbled away to take to the skies. Insane roll rate =)! That plane is very heavy with that battery and motor, I can just about push the battery far back enough for it to balance out. Will run on smaller prop and 4S the next time, because the battery was quite hot on landing, and the flight tiime not so impressive. That motor is quite silent anyway, with a well balanced prop, and although I can recommend it for the racer I'd still suggest something a bit lighter combined with prop and voltage close to the limits for max power. Hope that helps a little?

I experienced the same problem on hand launch with the NTM 1200 kv and 8x6 prop. I switched to the spitfire setup with the Beef and APC 9x6. Then I changed the way I threw the plane to a more vertical and harder throw at about 60% power. That worked out much better. Not sure if it was the motor/prop change or the vertical throw but it was better. I did notice that the landings need to be a bit faster than with the spitfire to avoid stall. At least it seems that way to me.

tramsgar

I must admit that my first failed takeoff was me being afraid of the 700w hand-and-face-slasher I was holding. Too puny throw, and I didn't dare to throttle it up properly so close to me. Worked much better once I grew a pair. I must salute David for his wing design, I saw absolutely no tip stall tendencies, knife edge was a breeze and so were the landings.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I've been using the 28-26 1200kv NTM since before "the beef" came around since that was what FT was recommending for the bigger swappables before Lazer toys stepped up with their offerings.

I love it in my BW, it hauls my spitfires very gracefully, and it probably does well in the BB which is what I bought it for...but I did some damage to my BB before I got the 28-26 and I've never really properly fixed it so it's flights have been...less than optimal. But I don't blame the motor.

As for HK I usually order from the international warehouse since the US warehouse is so limited in selection. But I have placed a few orders from the US with no issues. I just recently placed an order a couple weeks back (needed an arduino for another project and their $15 mega was too good of a price not to try...it's clone of questionable legality [labeled as an arduino but not legitimately licensed and it's kind of a mash up of a mega 2560 R2 and a 2560 R3...some of the R3 updates but still using the older 8u2 on the USB interface]) and it was processed incredibly fast. Actually showed up in my mailbox a few days before I expected it.

But it's HK...so YMMV depending on anything imaginable.

What prop are you using in the Spitfire ?

I've been using the 28-26 1200kv NTM since before "the beef" came around since that was what FT was recommending for the bigger swappables before Lazer toys stepped up with their offerings.

I love it in my BW, it hauls my spitfires very gracefully, and it probably does well in the BB which is what I bought it for...but I did some damage to my BB before I got the 28-26 and I've never really properly fixed it so it's flights have been...less than optimal. But I don't blame the motor.

As for HK I usually order from the international warehouse since the US warehouse is so limited in selection. But I have placed a few orders from the US with no issues. I just recently placed an order a couple weeks back (needed an arduino for another project and their $15 mega was too good of a price not to try...it's clone of questionable legality [labeled as an arduino but not legitimately licensed and it's kind of a mash up of a mega 2560 R2 and a 2560 R3...some of the R3 updates but still using the older 8u2 on the USB interface]) and it was processed incredibly fast. Actually showed up in my mailbox a few days before I expected it.

But it's HK...so YMMV depending on anything imaginable.

Flynn

I've been using a suppo 1400 kv, 2.2ah 8x6 prop. I've been getting 9-10 min flights. I've found that my spitfire is the same weight as the baby blender, so I have one power pod for those two. I haven't built the racer but I'm guessing it will be close in weight. I've order the NTM 1200 kv from HK and I'm curious to try in out.

NewZee

I've been using a suppo 1400 kv, 2.2ah 8x6 prop. I've been getting 9-10 min flights. I've found that my spitfire is the same weight as the baby blender, so I have one power pod for those two. I haven't built the racer but I'm guessing it will be close in weight. I've order the NTM 1200 kv from HK and I'm curious to try in out.

I use the NTM 28-26, 1200kv with a 9X6 APC on my Spitfire and am very happy with the performance. I will try an 8X6 prop but haven't yet.