the beginning

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Yeah,

how was RC like a hundred years ago without 2,4 Ghz and FPV Fatsharks or even without hobbyking!

bmsweb

Site Moderator
You know what's truly amazing, just how cheap the hobby is now. I couldn't afford to by a radio controlled models until I started working and my first Futaba cost me $500! My second Futaba cost me $1500! I think that was like 25 years ago! I even have an old Gold Series Futaba Radio :)

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
RC was not 100 years ago ;-)
F1 Freeflight gliders and rubber motors were the thing and still are for those skilled people who really can build, trim and fly models. Some time later came the gas engines, then diesels an glow if I am right, but still without RC.
F2 Line Control was ruling when the IC engines became more available.
F3 Radio Control was very interesting with only one channel for rudder and a really big ground station with a tube as amplifier. The transistor was not invented until 1947 and equipment with transistors was not common until beginning of the sixties.
You will find special clubs for vintage flying models.
SAM is the natural name in the US http://www.antiquemodeler.org/
SAM is Society of Antique Modelers - i wonder if it is correct, is it Modelers or Models, or is it the same?
Most people active in the antique model flying are "seniors".

There was no need for HobbyKing back then as there was lots of model flying clubs normally had most needed materials in stock. Most countries had some model factories making kits of popular models.
Yes Nightflyer has a lot of RC history in his "shed".

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
RC was not 100 years ago ;-)
F1 Freeflight gliders and rubber motors were the thing and still are for those skilled people who really can build, trim and fly models. Some time later came the gas engines, then diesels an glow if I am right, but still without RC.
F2 Line Control was ruling when the IC engines became more available.
F3 Radio Control was very interesting with only one channel for rudder and a really big ground station with a tube as amplifier. The transistor was not invented until 1947 and equipment with transistors was not common until beginning of the sixties.
You will find special clubs for vintage flying models.
SAM is the natural name in the US http://www.antiquemodeler.org/
SAM is Society of Antique Modelers - i wonder if it is correct, is it Modelers or Models, or is it the same?
Most people active in the antique model flying are "seniors".

There was no need for HobbyKing back then as there was lots of model flying clubs normally had most needed materials in stock. Most countries had some model factories making kits of popular models.
Yes Nightflyer has a lot of RC history in his "shed".

Wow thats cool! I think it would be worth even making an episode about that. Nice to know how that all started. These days we take a 2,4Ghz control nearly everywhere for granted but not even 100 years ago they were flying with rubber motors.

I find it unbelievable how quick humanity was in this case

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
bicyclemonkey, great find. I was going to look for that video in my archived emails, you saved me hours of searching. :D