The big bang of Mustangs

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I’ve been to the one that ft did in California a few years back. I’m hoping that they can find a place to do another one here. Also, my dad and I were thinking about going to edgewater around flite fest. We might not do it, but if we do go, then I hope that I can bring a few planes, specifically the mustang, and fly with you guys!
I think I will be at ff Ohio 2020. I was at ff Ohio 19 and it was an incredible expierence. I got to tour their new workspace and fly at edgewater and drive my boat in the stream running through. It's beautiful there! I even got a picture of me in the chair where they do their product reviews for the tech channel! It was epic and I HIGHLY recommend going - it is so worth it!

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I think I will be at ff Ohio 2020. I was at ff Ohio 19 and it was an incredible expierence. I got to tour their new workspace and fly at edgewater and drive my boat in the stream running through. It's beautiful there! I even got a picture of me in the chair where they do their product reviews for the tech channel! It was epic and I HIGHLY recommend going - it is so worth it!
Cool! If there isn’t an ff west this year I will ask my dad if we can make the trip to Ohio. The biggest issue would be bringing planes and lipos, maybe somebody has a way around that issue? I know that I can take lipos on a plane with the right precautions, but the planes would take up so much space, and I wouldn’t want to have my dad paying for another checked bag on top of a whole trip. But either way, this would only happen if there’s no ff west, and even then it is a huge maybe, it really depends on whatever is going on with my family around that time.
Also, on a completely unrelated note, my iPad is really starting to understand me. I typed ff and one time it suggested F6f instead, and another time it replaced it with F4f. It knows about my ww2 airplane addiction!

Headbang

Master member
Thanks for the help! Now I know what glue to use. I will still be testing it on some scrap fb to make sure that it works with the water proof stuff. I really don’t want to mess up the kit. Maybe @Headbang will see this and reply?
White gorilla glue works with both ft and dt fb. I use white for several reasons over original, lower expansion, it is white, tighter bubbles, easier to cut and sand, faster cure time. Use it super sparingly, wipe away excess right away. I do use original where I need gap filling. I use steal square bars, old sealed ups/security system batteries, old hard drives, bags of pennies, and sometimes 3d printer filament rolls to hold thing together while curing.
20191119_124046.jpg 20191119_162704.jpg

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
White gorilla glue works with both ft and dt fb. I use white for several reasons over original, lower expansion, it is white, tighter bubbles, easier to cut and sand, faster cure time. Use it super sparingly, wipe away excess right away. I do use original where I need gap filling. I use steal square bars, old sealed ups/security system batteries, old hard drives, bags of pennies, and sometimes 3d printer filament rolls to hold thing together while curing.
View attachment 150374 View attachment 150375
Thanks for the info! When you hold parts together while curing, is that just to keep the parts in the right shape, or do you do it to stop the expansion from pushing the parts away. And if it is to keep the parts from expanding, how much force do I need to apply to the object to stop this? I am mostly focusing on the wing since it is one of the only parts where multiple pieces of foam are directly sandwiched together. Also, I normally glue in power pods, so how does the glue adhere to the packing tape?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Thanks for the info! When you hold parts together while curing, is that just to keep the parts in the right shape, or do you do it to stop the expansion from pushing the parts away. And if it is to keep the parts from expanding, how much force do I need to apply to the object to stop this? I am mostly focusing on the wing since it is one of the only parts where multiple pieces of foam are directly sandwiched together. Also, I normally glue in power pods, so how does the glue adhere to the packing tape?
You might want to try the ft elements firewall. It works with the f pack and is really handy for non-swappables.

mayan

Legendary member
I also thought about white gorilla glue, but was drawn away by the ability for the glue to expand. I’m worried that the glue would expand and cause problems, but maybe somebody has ways to get around that. Also, why not normal gorilla glue, heavier, more brittle? The third glue I was thinking about was titebond. I think that I have seen @Grifflyer using it. So, @Headbang and Grifflyer, what do you think about alternative glues, and how does the white gorilla glue work with ft foam? Is there anything that you wished you would have done differently?
@basslord1124 used titebond on his edge ask him how it was.

I also want to hit FF but that won't happen till my 40th birthday 7 years down the road. If I go as planned it will be with the whole family, and my kids will be more ready for such a long trip, after all it about a 14 hour flight for us and an expensive one too. I'll surely talk about it on the forum so you all won't be able to miss it and yes I'd love meeting you all in person, roasting you in person and just generally flying with you all.

As for joining I need a bit of time but I am in :).

Headbang

Master member
It is the same idea as any glue, hold parts together tightly to keep shape. I still use hot glue on curves like the explorer nose and the seaduck pontoons, just makes life easier. Can not say how well it holds to tape. One trick is to make pin pricks to control where expansion goes to make pegs sort of.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
It is the same idea as any glue, hold parts together tightly to keep shape. I still use hot glue on curves like the explorer nose and the seaduck pontoons, just makes life easier. Can not say how well it holds to tape. One trick is to make pin pricks to control where expansion goes to make pegs sort of.
Thanks for the help! I will test the glue with some tape if you’re not sure how it will work. If it doesn’t work then I will just use hot glue since I’m already going to be using it to glue in servos and stuff.

basslord1124

Master member
@Ketchup ...my 2 cents...Titebond is really good stuff if you want to go that route. Just don't expect the speediness of hot glue. You'd glue your parts, find a way to keep them stationary for a good hour or so, and then come back later and resume. Low stress parts I'd give an hour or 2 to dry...high stress parts probably a day. What I did, was fill a seam or area with about 95% Titebond wood glue and then just little dabs of hot glue in the remaining areas to act as my "clamp" for a certain joint (like your A and B folds). If I were gluing down a wing, I might just use all wood glue and then put some weight on top to hold it down. It doesn't have the expansion that Gorilla Glue has but it is good to clamp it or weigh it down so it doesn't move and can get a good bond. If you do go with mostly wood glue, you will also get a plane that's actually lighter too. ;):)

Headbang

Master member
Thanks for the help! I will test the glue with some tape if you’re not sure how it will work. If it doesn’t work then I will just use hot glue since I’m already going to be using it to glue in servos and stuff.
Only advantage to gorilla glue is you use 1/8th of a small bottle to build a c pack plane, so you end up noticeably lighter. If you are just building crash and trash planes that will not last long, it is not worth spending the time, might as well just use hot glue for speed sake.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Only advantage to gorilla glue is you use 1/8th of a small bottle to build a c pack plane, so you end up noticeably lighter. If you are just building crash and trash planes that will not last long, it is not worth spending the time, might as well just use hot glue for speed sake.
I’m actually using gorilla glue because I want this plane to really last, and I’m trying to save some weight too. I might end up using titebond, but it really depends on a number of things, like price or weight. I’m leaning towards gorilla glue though.