The big bang of Mustangs

Wildthing

Legendary member
I've been trying to get him too, but I also don't want him to watch it because imaging all the good jokes we could make as he's building a delorean from bttf even though he hasn't seen it:ROFLMAO:
Does he know what a DeLorean is ? Heck does he know what a flux capacitor is more importantly

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Seriously though, let me know if you want to borrow some big motors or batteries for that project. I don't think I can be at the even this year but I'd still like to be a part of a build. I have a good amount of CAD experience and a very capable 3d printer.
Ok, when it gets closer, I’ll make a PM with you and @Grifflyer and we can discuss what we need there. Thanks so much!

mayan

Legendary member
View attachment 155051 View attachment 155052 View attachment 155053 View attachment 155054 View attachment 155055 View attachment 155056 View attachment 155057
Day 4 of Monster mustang build: Parts came in today. Those are two 5000mah 3s batteries that I have a series connector for. The prop is an Aerostar 14x10 wooden prop and it's easily the nicest looking prop I have ever owned, and it was only $4! I started off by giving the wing a bit of dihedral and then started to prep the fuse for the wing. I cut down some 1/2" wooden dowels an glued them to the underside of the fuse to strengthen the area, for when I'm flying inverted of course. I slipped the wing in and glued it in place. The wing fit like a glove and I could probably get away with not having it glued in at all, but I'll play it safe. I then cut and glued the tail bottom covering piece or whatever it's called. I used curtain hangers to make the control linkages and there is no flex at all. Finally I reinforced the nose and glue the motor in place. I'm eating dinner right now and when I go back out I will organize the electronics and then put the finishing touches on the plane (control linkages, turtle deck, and canopy) I have decided to paint it red as requested, and landing gear will be coming later. I can hold the plane with one hand so I should be able to hand launch it without any issues for now. Once I know it flies smooth enough not to rip out the landing gear after each flight, I will add it and then paint the plane. But for now, Indiana weather is not permitting me to fly until possibly monday, but more than likely tuesday.
Wow looking awesome man. Can't wait to see this one fly :).

Do you think we should start a thread on it once we start prototyping with a scaled down version?
Yes!

BS projects inc.

Elite member
276696_c1b0e26595cbd29010827b13189bf68c.jpg IMG_1695.JPG IMG_1697.JPG IMG_1702.JPG IMG_1705.JPG
Day 5 of build: The Maiden was a success! I started off by cleaning up the electronics bay and then glue on the turtle deck. The picture of the plane with the turtle deck glued on is not the most recent, I took off the front piece and fixed the angle it was at. Then I set up the controls for my ruder and she was ready to fly! The maiden went well but it was severely nose heavy. I already have some steel weights cut out for the tail so it shouldn't be a problem in the future. I threw the plane and it pitched down very quickly. I brought it back up but it started to roll, and when I countered I learned that my ailerons were at full throws so it was a bit too responsive. Other than that it flew great, not bad habit. My cameraman was cold so he didn't catch the landing, when the scoop hit the ground it rotated the nose into the ground and the motor got ripped off. It's a pretty simple fix and the prop is fine. Next flight I will have landing gear installed and maybe a paint scheme depending on how the weather holds up.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
View attachment 155281 View attachment 155282 View attachment 155279 View attachment 155283 View attachment 155280
Day 5 of build: The Maiden was a success! I started off by cleaning up the electronics bay and then glue on the turtle deck. The picture of the plane with the turtle deck glued on is not the most recent, I took off the front piece and fixed the angle it was at. Then I set up the controls for my ruder and she was ready to fly! The maiden went well but it was severely nose heavy. I already have some steel weights cut out for the tail so it shouldn't be a problem in the future. I threw the plane and it pitched down very quickly. I brought it back up but it started to roll, and when I countered I learned that my ailerons were at full throws so it was a bit too responsive. Other than that it flew great, not bad habit. My cameraman was cold so he didn't catch the landing, when the scoop hit the ground it rotated the nose into the ground and the motor got ripped off. It's a pretty simple fix and the prop is fine. Next flight I will have landing gear installed and maybe a paint scheme depending on how the weather holds up.

Sweet that thing is HUGE!!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
View attachment 155281 View attachment 155282 View attachment 155279 View attachment 155283 View attachment 155280

Congrats on a successful maiden!!! That had a great presence in the air! It’s BIG!!