The big bang of Mustangs

Hoomi

Master member
I did some tweaking on the landing gear today, to make sure both wheels roll freely, put some black on the exhaust stacks and wing guns, and made a real quick test of a camera mounting position (atop the cockpit). Bunnie seems to taxi and steer okay now, so hopefully, conditions will be good tomorrow morning to put her up again, and see how the camera works out in flight.
MustangCameraView.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I did some tweaking on the landing gear today, to make sure both wheels roll freely, put some black on the exhaust stacks and wing guns, and made a real quick test of a camera mounting position (atop the cockpit). Bunnie seems to taxi and steer okay now, so hopefully, conditions will be good tomorrow morning to put her up again, and see how the camera works out in flight.
View attachment 163707
Awesome - looking forward to the video!

Hoomi

Master member
Second flight went very well today. I need to edit the video, but I like the camera position. The black Velcro on the canopy doesn't detract from the appearance at all, puts the camera pretty close to the CG, and gives a nice view.

Marty72

Elite member
I'm really late to this party, but here's my full sized mustang. Few things still to be done and parts to be ordered but you here's the body of it. Weight-wise, it's come to come in real close to the Spitfire. So this should make a nice head to head comparison and it should be plenty fast with a C pack and a 9x6 prop w/o gear.

IMG_2413.JPG

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I'm really late to this party, but here's my full sized mustang. Few things still to be done and parts to be ordered but you here's the body of it. Weight-wise, it's come to come in real close to the Spitfire. So this should make a nice head to head comparison and it should be plenty fast with a C pack and a 9x6 prop w/o gear.

View attachment 164265
That looks really sharp! I need to make a new fuselage for my mustang - I'll try to do that over the weekend. BTW I added you to the second post.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

View attachment 164265
Jesus Marty this thing looks flawless. Did you photoshop this pic? Did you say you built the Spitfire already?

Marty72

Elite member
Now I have the Allied Fighter's fleet of WWII (P40, P51 & Spitfire). I'll have to take a picture of them all together. The paint job on the Spit was much easier than this, the flat colors combined with the randomness of camo is quite forgiving hiding cosmetic flaws. The glossy silver and yellow, not so forgiving. So far, yellow is the least forgiving, doesn't cover well and this time, didn't paint the poster board as well as other colors I've tried (black, green, gray and red).

Lots of time to build now that they have shut all my activities down due to corona. My list of options now are, clean the house, unpack the boxes, improve organization and storage of the house or build planes (oops, forgot, play with the dog). I've got more foam board so...........

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Now I have the Allied Fighter's fleet of WWII (P40, P51 & Spitfire). I'll have to take a picture of them all together. The paint job on the Spit was much easier than this, the flat colors combined with the randomness of camo is quite forgiving hiding cosmetic flaws. The glossy silver and yellow, not so forgiving. So far, yellow is the least forgiving, doesn't cover well and this time, didn't paint the poster board as well as other colors I've tried (black, green, gray and red).

Lots of time to build now that they have shut all my activities down due to corona. My list of options now are, clean the house, unpack the boxes, improve organization and storage of the house or build planes (oops, forgot, play with the dog). I've got more foam board so...........
Given the quality of your Mustang build have you thought of trying a Master Series build?

Marty72

Elite member
Jesus Marty this thing looks flawless. Did you photoshop this pic? Did you say you built the Spitfire already?
Thank you very much, as you are quite proficient at this. No photo shop but the plane is photogenic. Yep, the Spit is awesome unfortunately I beat it up on the first day out a bit. I had a few unforced errors, dropped a battery while flying, and a few other incidents that I've already forgot. That was last week, the lock down has me building. As you know, the more you build, the more you learn and the better you get. Here's the Spit, I really like the Spit.

IMG_2386.JPG

Marty72

Elite member
Given the quality of your Mustang build have you thought of trying a Master Series build?
I'm sure I will give it a go in the near future. I really liked the Spit, it's light and streamlined, so it flies pretty fast with a C pack, 3S, 9x6. The P40 , not so much. The P40 got an upgrade last night, Rimfire 35-36 w/ 10x7 prop. I can't weight to see how fast it is now. The Mustang should be fairly similar to the Spit in performance, need to order a receiver and find out.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I'm sure I will give it a go in the near future. I really liked the Spit, it's light and streamlined, so it flies pretty fast with a C pack, 3S, 9x6. The P40 , not so much. The P40 got an upgrade last night, Rimfire 35-36 w/ 10x7 prop. I can't weight to see how fast it is now. The Mustang should be fairly similar to the Spit in performance, need to order a receiver and find out.
I flew my mustang with the radial on 4s and a 9x6 prop. I liked it!