The big bang of Mustangs

danskis

Master member
Well I maidened the mini mustang today after warming up on the Arrow. Short story is that it flew well and didn't crash. My first maiden since learning to fly about a year ago that didn't require a repair. For me its a twitchy little thing and I"m going to dial the aileron expo down to about 40. Its elevator/aileron with 2 5gram servos, 1806 2400 kv motor swinging the prop I had a 6X5.5 on a 700mah 3 cell. Plenty fast for me at this point. I made it from the kit and for once I didn't make any mods - its stock. I'm not sure if its fun for me yet...we'll see. I think it looks great.
mmP51.jpg

slowjo

Master member
Well I maidened the mini mustang today after warming up on the Arrow. Short story is that it flew well and didn't crash. My first maiden since learning to fly about a year ago that didn't require a repair. For me its a twitchy little thing and I"m going to dial the aileron expo down to about 40. Its elevator/aileron with 2 5gram servos, 1806 2400 kv motor swinging the prop I had a 6X5.5 on a 700mah 3 cell. Plenty fast for me at this point. I made it from the kit and for once I didn't make any mods - its stock. I'm not sure if its fun for me yet...we'll see. I think it looks great.
View attachment 171374
mine was alittle stressful to fly, before I got more comfortable with it, but my maiden toss hit the dirt, not enough throttle, which moved the battery, and CG, forward, I had to land at 1/2 throttle just to keep the nose up :oops:

Wildthing

Legendary member
View attachment 171374
Lower your rates slowly not the expo

mayan

Legendary member
View attachment 171374
It does look pretty and I am so happy to hear the maiden went well with no repairs to be made that’s always a good thing :).

Wildthing

Legendary member
@Wildthing - thanks for the advice. I'll lower the rates slowly. Go down by 5? I'd like to hear more about your thoughts on this as I get conflicting advice on this sometimes.
I would drop it by 10 whether it is for roll or pitch, test fly it and see how it reacts . If it is still twitchy you can lower it some more or even raise the expo slightly. I always like to leave a bit extra deflection so when I screw up I have a little extra when going full stick. If it does nice tight rolls and loops at full stick and is still twitchy that is when I add more expo.

Sero

Elite member
View attachment 171374

Looks great! I've been having a blast with my Mini Mustang, it comes out with me every time I fly.

I fully agree with the advise given in regards to rates and expo, only thing I would add is that it's often better to move the control rod on the servo arm than to move the rates in the transmitter, it allows more control and is better for the servo gears. Say for example if the roll rate is too high you would move the rod down the servo arm closer to the mounting screw. On my Mini Mustang the aileron control line is on the second closest to the bottom, so a very small control rod/aileron movement but the servo moves the full movement still.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Looks great! I've been having a blast with my Mini Mustang, it comes out with me every time I fly.

I fully agree with the advise given in regards to rates and expo, only thing I would add is that it's often better to move the control rod on the servo arm than to move the rates in the transmitter, it allows more control and is better for the servo gears. Say for example if the roll rate is too high you would move the rod down the servo arm closer to the mounting screw. On my Mini Mustang the aileron control line is on the second closest to the bottom, so a very small control rod/aileron movement but the servo moves the full movement still.

Good point especially when dealing with these cheap plastic servos. I bought a wack of control horns so most of my setups I start off pretty much the same, they are pretty tall compared to FT's style so there I am in the lowest hole , my servo arms as a rule I use the third closest hole and 99% of the time I have more then enough deflection. Most of my rates are in the 60% to 90% range with the setup so I know I am not putting a lot of strain on the servos.

danskis

Master member
@Wildthing @Sero - thanks guys for the input its very helpful as I'm a bit confused with the relationship between rate/expo/linkage setup. I flew it again today (it was breezy) and it was better with less rate. Then my second launch had too much throttle and it torqued into the ground - with practically no damage. I'll try moving the push rods. I should probably start a thread about rate/expo/linkage setup. .

Wildthing

Legendary member
@Wildthing @Sero - thanks guys for the input its very helpful as I'm a bit confused with the relationship between rate/expo/linkage setup. I flew it again today (it was breezy) and it was better with less rate. Then my second launch had too much throttle and it torqued into the ground - with practically no damage. I'll try moving the push rods. I should probably start a thread about rate/expo/linkage setup. .

Watch this video, now at the end of the video with the maximum setup is where your servo is under the most load.

Sero

Elite member
Watch this video, now at the end of the video with the maximum setup is where your servo is under the most load.

Just don't be confused when he says "this is the best set-up" That's best for a 3D plane (which he says he fly's) but is not suitable for many other types of planes. Ideally you want your servo to move it's full swing while flying. If you set your linkage up properly your rates in the radio will be at or near 100 at high rates.

Sero

Elite member

Basically rates are an electronic setting in your transmitter that limits the amount of movement on you servo arm. Say for example if move your transmitter stick full left to full right and your servo arm moves 90 degrees end to end when your rates are set to 100 then it will only move 60 degrees when you set your rates to 66%. As mentioned, ideally you want to move your linkage instead so that your servo moves the full 90 degrees which puts less strain on the servo gears as there is less leverage on them and also allows the servo put more power into the movement.

Expo controls a dead spot in the middle of the stick movement, which allows you to fly smoother, makes the plane easier to control, less twitchy.
You can see in the below graphs, the servo position is the vertical line and the horizontal is the transmitter stick position. With expo (exponential) the potential total servo movement will be the same regardless of the setting but at the middle stick movement the servo movement is reduced. Generally 30% is ideal.
Expo.jpg

Sero

Elite member
Thanks @Sero - yeah some of my rates are down to 30 degrees - I'll play with the control linkage. Expo I understand but I have a hard time deciding when to increase expo or decrease rate.

I would just stick with 30 degrees expo and dial in the rates/throws. Once you get comfortable you can adjust the expo to see if you like something else better, I would adjust 5 degrees at a time.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Just don't be confused when he says "this is the best set-up" That's best for a 3D plane (which he says he fly's) but is not suitable for many other types of planes. Ideally you want your servo to move it's full swing while flying. If you set your linkage up properly your rates in the radio will be at or near 100 at high rates.
It was more to show the mechanics of what you are doing when moving the control rod into a different position.