The big bang of Mustangs

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
how about the P51c Otter, after Japan bombed Pearl Harbor , the Japanese actually occupied an island of Alaska, so this is my rendition of what our military would have come up with if they were able to push further into US territory. We would have needed some War Bird Sea Planes!
I love it! However that motor pod is shouting “EDF” to me. :D

TenienteDan

One of the things I love most about this hobby is doing touch and goes. So landing gear is always a requirement. But sometimes I feel like flying without LG as it is cooler aesthetically.

Well I came with this solution to make a removable LG for the MMM. I will try them tomorrow I think, see how it goes :).

e16ca33c-c843-40ba-997b-b217a81ad427.jpg

5b163695-9269-4364-a2c3-a5a32c6c0dcc.jpg
66025f9e-b3e0-4360-a6aa-b2763a831b8c.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

TenienteDan

Cool idea - I'll be interested to see how it holds up!

There was too much snow today on the ground, but even with that, I could do a couple of soft landings on a hard surface and only by the end, when the plane was about to stop, the wheels stuck on the snow. I can say that this velcro solution is totally reliable for a light plane like this one. I didn't notice any additional drag neither a CG change.

Oh btw, I had a pretty cool accident where I lost one of the wheels. I was flying low approaching for landing and then, out of the blue, the remains of a snowman got the right wheel of the plane. Pretty spectacular, I though that was it for the day (1st battery how not) ... but no damage luckily (I just lost the piece of glue that prevents the wheel to get off the wire).

I'm not sure how it would hold up with the standard size Mustang. But I will try it eventually, I want to build a standard size Mustang and will use this solution for the landing gear.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
And finally I painted it.

View attachment 188188
View attachment 188187

No the neatest work as I only had yellow spray (white is acrylic and black stripes with a marker), but looks cool enough.

Next build I will try to be patient and paint it properly with spray colours before adding any tape to reinforce the wings/fuselage.
Looks good! It’s amazing what even a simple paint job can do to make it looks 10x better on the air and more fun to fly!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
@The Hangar I will say Congrats on the Green Button! (y)

I started this Master Series Mustang and remembered this thread I could post the build to, so here it is so far. This the second attempt at the nose, first one was a lapse in details 80% into building it and didn't realize what I did until it was 100% done. A couple hours and one sheet down the pipes, I cut out, reshaped and glued it back together, it actually came out way better then the first anyway
20210109_135812.jpg

Once some lessons were learned I went at the mid and tail section. A net technique in the tail was fun to watch come together. The form fold on the underside of the tail isn't something I had a lot of faith in to begin with, but it turned out good enough, and surprisingly no wrinkles. Mid section was pretty standard, only a skin around the top half for a couple of sections between formers. This is where the aesthetic improvements started to happen in putting these areas together at the seams. Got skilled in some of it and lucky in others.
20210109_135903.jpg

All said and done so far it seems to be a pretty solid model. I think i will be doing something different for the power pod/battery box unit. Something i recently changed out on the Spitfire, (pre-crash) and it worked out really well there. I will keep posting as the progress as it works itself out

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Me too

I gotta go to the LHS and get some wood for the spars, and i am at a point where wings will happen sooner then later. There is still a ways to go yet, lots to screw up as well, so it might be longer then I think
On the MS builds I think the wings are my favorite part. The p-38 wings went together so nicely - I miss that plane... :cry:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Funny you ask... There is 12" of paint stick on each half and joined by 8" of 1/8th solid ply in the center. You should have seen what I had in the Spit haha
You’re all set for 4s power then. (y) On the Corsair and P-38 I used thin basswood actually. It held up in the wing but not so much the p-38 tail - that’s what caused it to crash. I never did try the Corsair on 4s though, just the P-38.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Wow not much action here, I will post some progress anyway. The Stang got some color...
20210114_002710.jpg
20210114_002644.jpg

As it sit it is a well balanced, but that is before the battery and receiver. It is at around 940 grams, battery and receiver will be another 200 grams or so. But that means it all will have to jam in just under the hatch somehow... its a thinker.

I have some star and bar decals i can print out and stick on for authenticity to the original but i haven't had good luck the the methods I have been using. However there is one thing i would like to try... but this will not be the guinea pig.

Weather dependent this might maiden in the next few days so stay tuned for that

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Wow not much action here, I will post some progress anyway. The Stang got some color... View attachment 189161 View attachment 189162
As it sit it is a well balanced, but that is before the battery and receiver. It is at around 940 grams, battery and receiver will be another 200 grams or so. But that means it all will have to jam in just under the hatch somehow... its a thinker.

I have some star and bar decals i can print out and stick on for authenticity to the original but i haven't had good luck the the methods I have been using. However there is one thing i would like to try... but this will not be the guinea pig.

Weather dependent this might maiden in the next few days so stay tuned for that
That’s absolutely gorgeous Chris!!