The big bang of Mustangs

flyin201

Successful maiden! Very fast, half throttle is faster than a stock C powered Mustang.
63E53FF6-3A4F-41CC-BE46-BB90F4788C49.jpeg

Marty72

Elite member
Hey Hangar, haven't been on the FT Forum in months. Looks like this thread is still growing. I just built my 4th Mustang and am currently working on a Master Series Mustang build. I modelled the latest build after the air show P 51, Quick Silver.

Here's the real plane
qs p 51.jpg

Here's mine.
IMG_3221.JPG

Running 3536 1200 w/ 10x7 prop on 3S as always.

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Hey Hangar, haven't been on the FT Forum in months. Looks like this thread is still growing. I just built my 4th Mustang and am currently working on a Master Series Mustang build. I modelled the latest build after the air show P 51, Quick Silver.

Here's the real plane
View attachment 202785

Here's mine.
View attachment 202786

Running 3536 1200 w/ 10x7 prop on 3S as always.
Great to hear from you again, I haven’t been on much myself either. Your latest mustang looks fantastic!

Marty72

Elite member
I finished up my Master's Series Scratch build of the Mustang tonight. Should maiden early next week. Running a 3542 1250 w/ 11x5.5 prop, works great with 3s or 4s. 4s is really over kill with this motor and prop. (same power I've run on the MS Spitfire for many months). I found this build a bit more difficult than the MS Spit. When I say difficult, I mean to make things clean at the sections.

IMG_3234.JPG IMG_3238.JPG IMG_3240.JPG

chris398mx

Master member
I finished up my Master's Series Scratch build of the Mustang tonight. Should maiden early next week. Running a 3542 1250 w/ 11x5.5 prop, works great with 3s or 4s. 4s is really over kill with this motor and prop. (same power I've run on the MS Spitfire for many months). I found this build a bit more difficult than the MS Spit. When I say difficult, I mean to make things clean at the sections.

View attachment 203823 View attachment 203824 View attachment 203825
Looks Great

Marty72

Elite member
Just built up a 125% Ft Mustang. I've really got the regular Ft Mustang dialed in, great flying plane, my favorite hand launch plane. So I thought I'd try a 125% FT Mustang, which will be the same size as the Master Series Mustang (which I have built). I'm probably going to make a few cosmetic changes before the maiden on Wednesday. I've got it set up to with a 3542 1250kv, 60 A Esc, 11
x5.5 prop, 4S 3000 battery. This is probably as big as I'd go with this design without really beefing it up. It's a bit hard to handle without crushing it. This should be interesting.

It weights 870 grams, I added 60 grams to the tail (during the build) as I knew this plane was going to be nose heavy. The weight of my MS P 51 was 900 grams, so it's pretty close to the same weight which doesn't bode well for superior performance. There is only one way to find out.
IMG_3365.JPG
IMG_3372.JPG

mayan

Legendary member
Just built up a 125% Ft Mustang. I've really got the regular Ft Mustang dialed in, great flying plane, my favorite hand launch plane. So I thought I'd try a 125% FT Mustang, which will be the same size as the Master Series Mustang (which I have built). I'm probably going to make a few cosmetic changes before the maiden on Wednesday. I've got it set up to with a 3542 1250kv, 60 A Esc, 11
x5.5 prop, 4S 3000 battery. This is probably as big as I'd go with this design without really beefing it up. It's a bit hard to handle without crushing it. This should be interesting.

It weights 870 grams, I added 60 grams to the tail (during the build) as I knew this plane was going to be nose heavy. The weight of my MS P 51 was 900 grams, so it's pretty close to the same weight which doesn't bode well for superior performance. There is only one way to find out.
View attachment 210499 View attachment 210500
Amazing work

Marty72

Elite member
Thanks guys! How does it fly? I got the maiden in this morning, it went off without any drama. I've built so many FT/MS Mustangs and Spitfires at this point that there aren't many surprises. Honestly, the regular Mustang (41in) flies better and the MS Mustang flies a tad better than the 125%. I have the proper power set up (same as the MS Mustang) but this plane has more drag (same wt). It flies good, it's just slower than the regular size Ft Mustang. It is also about as big as you can build it without doing some doubling up of fb. It flew well in the maiden but I didn't wring it out. By the second flight, the wind had come up and it was too much to dial it in. I flew both sizes of the FT Mustang in the wind today. The smaller one wins. Faster and less affected by the wind. Here's a size comparison: going to 125% increases the weight by 60%. I've got the regular Mustang dialed in for my tastes. The power setup is 3536 1250KV, 10x7 prop,3s, 40 amp esc. Tons of power, it's a rocket.

IMG_3374.JPG

rickp

Mustang Derivatives!

Playing around in PhoenixRC I created two models that I thought would work well as FT style foamies.
The first is a Kaos pattern plane and the second a Dusty crop duster inspired by Scotto's EZ Duster.
Started to work on plans, and then it struck me that I could easily convert a FT mini-Mustang into either of these by building a custom fuselage and using the stock Mustang wings and empennage.

The Kaos build is just starting, and is blogged here. The Dusty will follow.

Here they are in Phoenix:
Kaos tour:

Kaos flight:

Dusty tour:

Dusty flight:

And if you're a Phoenix user you can download the Kaos here and the Dusty here.

Cheers, rick