The big bang of Mustangs

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Hey all! I've been chatting with a number of you guys about my Mini Mustang I was planning on building, and several other members mentioned they were planning on building a Mini Mustang soon or had wanted one. As the discussion went on, there were mixed feelings on whether to do the Mini Mustang or the full sized Mustang. So, I decided to make this a group build where you can build whichever one you want - mini or standard! If you want to upscale it (or downscale it) go ahead! There was also talk of making a P-82, or twin Mustang. Experiment, go crazy, and have fun, but make sure to post it all here so we can see your work! Let's get the fun rolling! Oh, and a huge thanks to @buzzbomb for naming this thread! ;)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
So in this post I'm going to list everyone who's building a mustang and which one once they’ve printed the plans and started cutting the parts out out foam:
@K3V0 - mini Mustang
@The Hangar - mini Mustang and standard Mustang
@mayan - mini Mustang
@buzzbomb - Standard Mustang
@Grifflyer - modded mini Mustang
@dutchmonkey - Mini P-82 (oh yeah!)
@mach1 rc - standard Mustang
@Ketchup - “4s mini mustang” yep - another one!
@MiniacRC - mini P-51C
@Sero - mini mustang
@Wildthing - standard FT Mustang
@BS projects inc. - MONSTER mustang
@ScratchBuildMast - Standard ft mustang with a Corsair wing "mustair"
@Hoomi - standard ft Mustang
@CrazyFastFlying - mini mustang
@Marty72 - standard ft Mustang
@rickp mini mustang!
@ColoFlyer standard-sized mustang!
@Stress Test mighty mini mustang
@mackaiver mini mustang and p-82 twin mustang
@dryhiker mini mustang
@TenienteDan mini mustang
@slowjo p-51c
@BATTLEAXE Masterseries Mustang
@mrJv Masterseries Mustang
@flyin201 Standard ft Mustang

Last edited:

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I’m thinking about building a kit, and I want to try using different glues for longevity, strength, and weight savings. I was wondering if anybody knew about some glues that I could use, and if they would work with ft’s brown waterproof foam?

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I’m thinking about building a kit, and I want to try using different glues for longevity, strength, and weight savings. I was wondering if anybody knew about some glues that I could use, and if they would work with ft’s brown waterproof foam.
@Headbang told me about "white gorilla glue" I've used it for several projects and it has held up well and is super light. I haven't used it for ft foam board yet but Headbang usually uses ftfb so I'm guessing it works. I'm going to do a 4s mini mustang as well!

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
@Headbang told me about "white gorilla glue" I've used it for several projects and it has held up well and is super light. I haven't used it for ft foam board yet but Headbang usually uses ftfb so I'm guessing it works. I'm going to do a 4s mini mustang as well!
I also thought about white gorilla glue, but was drawn away by the ability for the glue to expand. I’m worried that the glue would expand and cause problems, but maybe somebody has ways to get around that. Also, why not normal gorilla glue, heavier, more brittle? The third glue I was thinking about was titebond. I think that I have seen @Grifflyer using it. So, @Headbang and Grifflyer, what do you think about alternative glues, and how does the white gorilla glue work with ft foam? Is there anything that you wished you would have done differently?

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Also, sorry to @The Hangar for derailing the thread, I thought that this topic wasn’t worth making another thread for, maybe other mustang builders could use the info? Anyways, sorry for the hijack.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I find the expanding property to be very useful. It fills gaps that would normally be left empty and thus less strong. While the glue dries, you scrape the foaming stuff away if you want, or you can just wait until it's all dry and then use your razor blade to cut it off. It's been a plus for me.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I find the expanding property to be very useful. It fills gaps that would normally be left empty and thus less strong. While the glue dries, you scrape the foaming stuff away if you want, or you can just wait until it's all dry and then use your razor blade to cut it off. It's been a plus for me.
How hard is it to cut with a razor blade? I have tried cutting normal gorilla glue and it seems very difficult. Is the white gorilla glue different?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
How hard is it to cut with a razor blade? I have tried cutting normal gorilla glue and it seems very difficult. Is the white gorilla glue different?
It's pretty easy. It's just foam that you have to kinda cut off. It's not that much harder than cutting through hot glue - probably easier since it's not rubbery.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
It's pretty easy. It's just foam that you have to kinda cut off. It's not that much harder than cutting through hot glue - probably easier since it's not rubbery.
Thanks for the help! Now I know what glue to use. I will still be testing it on some scrap fb to make sure that it works with the water proof stuff. I really don’t want to mess up the kit. Maybe @Headbang will see this and reply?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Thanks for the help! Now I know what glue to use. I will still be testing it on some scrap fb to make sure that it works with the water proof stuff. I really don’t want to mess up the kit. Maybe @Headbang will see this and reply?
If you haven’t ordered the kit yet I’m sure he’ll respond by the time it arrives.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I might just have to pitch in on this once I get some other projects wrapped up. I've never actually built a P51, FT or otherwise, but if I do I want to build one of the earlier P51C model mustangs without the bubble canopy, simply because I almost never see them in model form. If I do it right I might be able to get away with just modifying the fuselage and using everything else as standard... or perhaps I could go Overstreet mode and make it much more scale looking (since his plans aren't out yet! :()

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
If you haven’t ordered the kit yet I’m sure he’ll respond by the time it arrives.
My plan is to wait until around Christmas to order the kit. I want to see if I can get it and a few other things on sale. I also have a 2 week break from school that lasts all the way through the new year around that time, so it is better for me to build then anyways. I can build very fast, finishing a kit in maybe under a week, but scratch building is what takes me a long time. I’m just lazy when it comes to anything that isn’t building, like prepping plans ;) Anyways, I hope more people join us to make some mustangs! Maybe we can even meet up at a flite fest and fly together, we might not all get there, but it sure would be fun!

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I might just have to pitch in on this once I get some other projects wrapped up. I've never actually built a P51, FT or otherwise, but if I do I want to build one of the earlier P51C model mustangs without the bubble canopy, simply because I almost never see them in model form. If I do it right I might be able to get away with just modifying the fuselage and using everything else as standard... or perhaps I could go Overstreet mode and make it much more scale looking (since his plans aren't out yet! :()
I heard that @Grifflyer is doing a b model, maybe you could make a modded version of that as a c model. I don’t think that there are many differences between the 2 planes anyways, at least not on the outside.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
My plan is to wait until around Christmas to order the kit. I want to see if I can get it and a few other things on sale. I also have a 2 week break from school that lasts all the way through the new year around that time, so it is better for me to build then anyways. I can build very fast, finishing a kit in maybe under a week, but scratch building is what takes me a long time. I’m just lazy when it comes to anything that isn’t building, like prepping plans ;) Anyways, I hope more people join us to make some mustangs! Maybe we can even meet up at a flite fest and fly together, we might not all get there, but it sure would be fun!
Have you gone to Flitefest or are you planning on going?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
4BA179F4-E30D-4733-B3B8-8007768D13DA.jpeg
I started transferring the sbk into foam board for my mini mustang, and have the plans printed for the standard mustang. I’m excited!

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Have you gone to Flitefest or are you planning on going?
I’ve been to the one that ft did in California a few years back. I’m hoping that they can find a place to do another one here. Also, my dad and I were thinking about going to edgewater around flite fest. We might not do it, but if we do go, then I hope that I can bring a few planes, specifically the mustang, and fly with you guys!