The Bike Thread (pedal power not motor power - e-bikes excepted)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Yes 😂 wouldn't be able to tell ya. I haven't messed with it for a couple years. Going to breathe some life into it and make some back pack-able planes though
Backpack?
Build or get a trailer and you can transport a half dozen or more decent sized planes with spares, batteries, and a workshop full of tools.

Going up steep hills can be a bit of a problem but downhill is a real exercise in adrenaline generation.

Have fun!

(If you didn't fall off you weren't going fast enough)!

whackflyer

Master member
Yes 😂 wouldn't be able to tell ya. I haven't messed with it for a couple years. Going to breathe some life into it and make some back pack-able planes though
I could try to explain it to you but these videos do it much better.

Park tool has really helpful info on their channel. Bikes are relatively simple, you can find about anything about them with a google search. If it's sticking in one gear you may need to examine your cables and housings. If the cables are rusty, have kinks in them anywhere or just don't slide in the housings, you'll probably need new housings and/or cable. If it's been sitting outside for a long time or got dirt in the shifters you may need to open them up and lube or clean them out.

danskis

Master member
Clips or flats for MTB - an endless discussion. I've tried both. I hate when you bash your shin on the flat pedal - it hurts and bleeds a lot. Clips are hard to get back into when you put your foot down on a turn and they also have the potential for knee injury if you crank them down too much and your foot doesn't come out. I've compromised - I use clips but with a Shimano cleat that releases very easily. I don't need to rotate my heel to get my foot out I can just pull my foot straight up/out. They are sold as indoor bike cleats for spin classes. I still have a hard time putting my foot back in after I put it down for a turn.

Carbon is nice but over-rated. I've already had one replacement frame.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Clips or flats for MTB - an endless discussion. I've tried both. I hate when you bash your shin on the flat pedal - it hurts and bleeds a lot. Clips are hard to get back into when you put your foot down on a turn and they also have the potential for knee injury if you crank them down too much and your foot doesn't come out. I've compromised - I use clips but with a Shimano cleat that releases very easily. I don't need to rotate my heel to get my foot out I can just pull my foot straight up/out. They are sold as indoor bike cleats for spin classes. I still have a hard time putting my foot back in after I put it down for a turn.

Carbon is nice but over-rated. I've already had one replacement frame.
I personally use issi clips for my stuff. I've haven't had trouble getting in and out of them and they have some nice rebuild kits. I used to use eggbeaters but I've had the pedal fall off the shaft in one of my rides so I don't think I'll ever be confident riding them again. They also use a very crappy bushing that once dirt gets into is ruined. So I've been trying out the issi pedals for almost a year now and I haven't had any issues.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I personally use issi clips for my stuff. I've haven't had trouble getting in and out of them and they have some nice rebuild kits. I used to use eggbeaters but I've had the pedal fall off the shaft in one of my rides so I don't think I'll ever be confident riding them again. They also use a very crappy bushing that once dirt gets into is ruined. So I've been trying out the issi pedals for almost a year now and I haven't had any issues.
clips take time to learn... remeber that first time on a bike without the training wheels..... remeber those first flights when you were scared to death...
these things take time you can't just hop on a bike clip your feet in and expect yourself to be an ace... you have to have patience

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
MTB and flats here. Used to ride with Shimano cleats but had a failure to eject moment in mid air - followed by a trip to A&E and a month unable to work. Flats all day long now...
I don’t really have a need for clip in pedals and for me they are actually more dangerous. I had a flip over once and if I had been clipped in then my head would have gone straight into pavement with the full weight of my bike and me all on my neck. I have no doubt that it would have been bad. Since I used flats I just launched myself over the handlebars and got out without a scratch.

flyingkelpie

Elite member
I could try to explain it to you but these videos do it much better.

Park tool has really helpful info on their channel. Bikes are relatively simple, you can find about anything about them with a google search. If it's sticking in one gear you may need to examine your cables and housings. If the cables are rusty, have kinks in them anywhere or just don't slide in the housings, you'll probably need new housings and/or cable. If it's been sitting outside for a long time or got dirt in the shifters you may need to open them up and lube or clean them out.
Yes! Parktools great! I have BBB-4.

flyingkelpie

Elite member
clips take time to learn... remeber that first time on a bike without the training wheels..... remeber those first flights when you were scared to death...
these things take time you can't just hop on a bike clip your feet in and expect yourself to be an ace... you have to have patience
Clips would be good in XC since you want to be able to spin fast. Clips improve pedaling but not safety...plus they freak me out lol

flyingkelpie

Elite member
51i%2BUAAONUL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

Does anyone have this? Highly recommend it.