The Bike Thread (pedal power not motor power - e-bikes excepted)

flyingkelpie

Elite member
Yeah, I really like descending, but I still need to get a feel for my new tires (I actually did get a good helmet, pads, and new tires for trail riding lol). I'm also trash at managing my grip and need some more confidence hehe. I plan to do more of that over the summer, mountain biking is fun and I really want to get better at it.
Another good source for trail tips is Ryan Leech (website and coaching) or Lee McCormack website, coaching and books).

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Today I visited the Marin museum of bicycles. They have a lot of old bikes there, like quite a lot of klunkers and a specialized stumpjumper so old that it's a rigid bike.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Yay I've been able to up my avg cruise speed from 15kmh to 20kmh ..., now my next goal is 25kmh....... Then 30kmh...... Then 35kmh..... And then 35kmh for 40km..... Yesterday I did a 22km ride at avg 20kmh

What is it?
It's a lower-end hardtail. For a couple years I've been commuting on two old 2nd-hand mountain bikes that I changed the gearing to 1x9. Now I got tired of assembling bikes and having troubles with old bikes so I got a new aluminum MTB. But I don't need it for high-end components and stuff because I'll change all that anyway. Now I'll change to a narrow flat bar, 1x9 gearing, better shifter.

Now between the two old ones I'll assemble one for a beater that I can lock on the sidewalk if I want to go into a store. This new one is too new to lock outside. I live in the bike theft capital of the world.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I might as well have a 1x9 on the recumbent. I spend all my time on the 52t BIG ring and have a 12-23 cassette. usually in 4th or 5th in the back cruising along at 18 to 20 mph.

I might as well have a 1x9 on the recumbent. I spend all my time on the 52t BIG ring and have a 12-23 cassette. usually in 4th or 5th in the back cruising along at 18 to 20 mph.
52 to 12? That sounds fast. At 48-11 this easily runs along faster than any MTB deserves to. I've been toying with going up to 50 or 52T in the front, but I would have to make sure it'll fit on what I have and make clearance to the frame. And the Chinese offer metal bash guards to fit up to 48T. I like a bash guard to keep my jeans out of the chain (@ cold weather commute). I know one guy who'll cut any bash guard you want...

LitterBug

Techno Nut
52 to 12? That sounds fast. At 48-11 this easily runs along faster than any MTB deserves to. I've been toying with going up to 50 or 52T in the front, but I would have to make sure it'll fit on what I have and make clearance to the frame. And the Chinese offer metal bash guards to fit up to 48T. I like a bash guard to keep my jeans out of the chain (@ cold weather commute). I know one guy who'll cut any bash guard you want...
I rarely use 12. Mostly 19-18. 650c wheels make it less speedy than 700c top speed wise. I am hard pressed to break 30mph even on a downhill grade where I can hit 35+ on my regular road bikes. I really want a Sea Kayak with pedals. A guy on the west coast used to build them, but seems like the company is gone. For now I settle for the Bathtub on the BIG Darby National Scenic River by my house.
Screenshot_2021-07-18-09-22-24-917.jpeg

I rarely use 12. Mostly 19-18. 650c wheels make it less speedy than 700c top speed wise. I am hard pressed to break 30mph even on a downhill grade where I can hit 35+ on my regular road bikes. I really want a Sea Kayak with pedals. A guy on the west coast used to build them, but seems like the company is gone. For now I settle for the Bathtub on the BIG Darby National Scenic River by my house.
View attachment 203902
You're really into some odd wheeled contraptions!
Here in the city it's hard for me to figure out these skinny-tired road bikes and single-speed bikes flying down these rough roads. I still love the fit & feel of a MTB. This isn't a race! I like every characteristic of a MTB that makes it different than a road bike. I can fly in a rugged way off or over anything I find. Run up curbs and down stairs as I wish. When I gear it up it's the best bike for me.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Problem here is there are no mountains. Flatter than flat. I get 200 ft elevation on a 60 mile ride. Makes no sense to ride a "mountain" bike on the gumwrappers we call hills here. Heck, the tallest ski slope in the area only has 300' of vertical, and that is an hour away. LOL

Problem here is there are no mountains. Flatter than flat. I get 200 ft elevation on a 60 mile ride. Makes no sense to ride a "mountain" bike on the gumwrappers we call hills here. Heck, the tallest ski slope in the area only has 300' of vertical, and that is an hour away. LOL
Haha I used to ride 50 mile round trips on the flattest ground there is, on an old MTB, up & down the South Jersey coast on the causeway that strings through the barrier islands. From Sea Isle City to the Southernmost point of Cape May and back, or from SIC to the Northernmost point of the Atlantic City boardwalk and back is 50 miles either trip.
I used to outride a lot of those weekend warriors in their spandex and clippy pedals and funny hats, gloves and wrap-around sunglasses. :ROFLMAO: And me in cutoffs and an old pair of Topsiders. That's when I learned about a runner's high. You get to a point where you feel like you could go on forever.
I had a ten speed when I was a kid but I never got interested in road bikes since. :unsure:

1. My apologies, I got a bit inflated in my last post. Sorry. But I still don't need spandex and a funny hat to ride hard. ;)
2. I was a little extreme over my preference for mountain bikes. Oops - now I've been looking into gravel bikes. :rolleyes::oops:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
LOL, I have used 2 different CycloCross bikes for gravel Grinding. A '12 Jamis Nova Pro, and a '18 Fuji Cross 1.1. Still have the Jamis and swap wheels between Gravel and road riding. Sold the Fuji to my Bro-in-Law. Liked the Disk brakes of the Fuji, but HATED the 1x11. Was horrible for road use, and not that great for gravel. Still Have the Jamis and have swapped the chainrings around a few times to match my '11 Trek Madone. Would rather jump on and ride than waste time driving somewhere to ride. Bring your MTB here and we'll ride! (on the road)

Jamis, with road setup
370154_f6ffd853b679bb524a578d90ec80ec47.jpg

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
1. My apologies, I got a bit inflated in my last post. Sorry. But I still don't need spandex and a funny hat to ride hard. ;)
2. I was a little extreme over my preference for mountain bikes. Oops - now I've been looking into gravel bikes. :rolleyes::oops:
Let's see some pictures of that new bike! Where and how far have you been riding this year?

LOL, I have used 2 different CycloCross bikes for gravel Grinding. A '12 Jamis Nova Pro, and a '18 Fuji Cross 1.1. Still have the Jamis and swap wheels between Gravel and road riding. Sold the Fuji to my Bro-in-Law. Liked the Disk brakes of the Fuji, but HATED the 1x11. Was horrible for road use, and not that great for gravel. Still Have the Jamis and have swapped the chainrings around a few times to match my '11 Trek Madone. Would rather jump on and ride than waste time driving somewhere to ride. Bring your MTB here and we'll ride! (on the road)

Jamis, with road setup View attachment 203977
Nice. I was looking at Jamis' gravel bike, they're one of the only ones that accepts up to a 50c tire. Turns out their distribution is one of the worst. They won't sell or ship direct, and dealers never know when they'll get some. Covid destroyed bike availability.

Decided to go gravel. This is my entry into something that isn't a MTB, so I don't need much. Ordered it this morning!
MatteBlack_1024x1024.jpg

Poseidon X. For a rugged city commute this should do me good for a while. (y) It'll take up to 42c or 44c. And it looks absolutely badass. And at an untouchable price. I'm gonna change all the cage bolts and rack bolts to matte black. ;)

If I want to change the gearing or I don't like the drivetrain, at this price I can change out shifter, derailleur and cassette for Deore and still make out like a bandit.

Time for me to get used to skinnier tires.

Let's see some pictures of that new bike! Where and how far have you been riding this year?
I commute 5 days/week, only about 25 minutes each way on city streets, all weather. Beyond that I've ridden very little this year. Bummer because there are pleasant asphalt paths all along the South part of Brooklyn. And of course there's Manhattan (Duh) right over the bridge. That's not crunchy singletrack stuff but hey it's the complete freedom of riding, right in the heart of The City, in the center of the universe. Time to do a little more of that with my NEW BIKE.

Jamis, with road setup View attachment 203977
You're lying. There's no way that bike is 10 yrs old! Has it been in the basement all this time?