The Bike Thread (pedal power not motor power - e-bikes excepted)

Liam B

Would you do this? Our local suicide drop which just might have the potential to put men in hospital for... that sort of stuff, and makes your bike a write off. Then again, if you don't clear it you will be in the hurt locker even if you are female...broken legs etc.
View attachment 199167

I had a friend just within the last month break his wrist and receive a concussion from a very similar drop into a poorly made landing area. A week after his incident, a man died... yes, died... on the same drop from a head / neck injury.

I'm gonna say no. It's important to understand that even if something is built into a trail, the safety of the element is not guaranteed. Just because it is there does not mean you, or anyone should attempt it!

flyingkelpie

Elite member
I had a friend just within the last month break his wrist and receive a concussion from a very similar drop into a poorly made landing area. A week after his incident, a man died... yes, died... on the same drop from a head / neck injury.

I'm gonna say no. It's important to understand that even if something is built into a trail, the safety of the element is not guaranteed. Just because it is there does not mean you, or anyone should attempt it!
I fully agree. In my opinion, a gap drop to that extent is not safe. A road gap or a small version of that which you don't have sprint for heck just to clear it. I did not know that a person could die on something like that though... that's terrible. Also, that drop is from a flow trail... completely out of place!

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I fully agree. In my opinion, a gap drop to that extent is not safe. A road gap or a small version of that which you don't have sprint for heck just to clear it. I did not know that a person could die on something like that though... that's terrible. Also, that drop is from a flow trail... completely out of place!
agreed thing like that should be made illegal, internationally.
unless the person riding it is a professional.
but yea thats kinda like removing a gap 5m wide in a road and then expecting every car to be "fast" and clear the gap

whackflyer

Master member
At least should have several brightly colored signs warning of the impending drop.

leaded50

Legendary member
tubeless is the absolute best for mtb bikes.... it is so much easier to fix if u get a puncture leave the thorn or nail in... if it falls out ride really hard for 3 min, then pump ur tyre and you are good to go.

the one thing i absolutely hate are the high "steps" that are used to prevent animals from walking out of their enclosures, those things are generally 1m high and climb at a nasty 60 degree angle.... believe me hitting them at 45km per hour on a downhill is absolutely no fun.... try as you can they will always smack you HARD
If going down a place you could expect such, or dont know the trail in eg. 45km pr.h , then its your missing brain that gives you the smack. .. :sneaky:

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
If going down a place you could expect such, or dont know the trail in eg. 45km pr.h , then its your missing brain that gives you the smack. .. :sneaky:
yea here's the thing i had ridden down the trail previously... they were not there. so i knew the track but i did not know what was right around the corner... or rather i knew what was there, but there was a brand new obstacle in my path

flyingkelpie

Elite member
agreed thing like that should be made illegal, internationally.
unless the person riding it is a professional.
but yea thats kinda like removing a gap 5m wide in a road and then expecting every car to be "fast" and clear the gap
No road gap like this
1619731968554.png