The Cobble - Cobbled together from random bits!

Hoomi

Master member
So, last year at our club's Holiday Party, I won a wing from the raffle table. No plane, just the wing. It's a nice looking, balsa-framed, mylar-covered wing, but just the wing. I've been thinking about what kind of plane to build around it ever since, made a couple of sketches, built one fuselage that turned out pretty shoddy (my first ever attempt at building anything out of foam board, before I bought the Simple Scout SBK and learned some of the effective techniques), so I scrapped that one, and took a different tack.

I went with a design similar to the old Parkzone "Fighterbird," with a pusher prop, tubular boom, and V-tail. The fuselage is made of black Adams Readyboard, the boom is a carbon-fiber arrow from Walmart, and the landing gear strut is a odd bit of metal I found in a parking lot.

This will be the first 3 channel plane I've flown (that is, if it flies). I need to do a couple more minor things in the assembly, and then give it a glide test, preferably someplace with some grass to cushion a potentially less-than-ideal landing.

Transferring the design to the foam board: white Crayola pencil to show up on the black paper.
Cobblelayout.jpg

Top view. The wing looks like it was designed for a glider, but I think it'll work well for a nice, sedate 3 channel plane.
Cobble Top.jpg

Low-rider landing gear. :D
Cobble Side.jpg

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
There are guys that fly those all the time and get like 20 mind to a half hour just gaining altitude and gliding all over, catching headwinds, even thermals. Looks light enough to play that game. How did you fab up the Vtail, is it FB too?

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
There are guys that fly those all the time and get like 20 mind to a half hour just gaining altitude and gliding all over, catching headwinds, even thermals. Looks light enough to play that game. How did you fab up the Vtail, is it FB too?
Sounds like you're a bit jealous. Good question too.

Hoomi

Master member
Yeah, the V-tail is black foam board as well.

I'm hoping it'll have a nice glide ratio. I don't anticipate being able to taxi all that well on that landing gear, and that it'll float well enough that my touchdown roll-out is pretty short.

I can fit a 3S 2200mAh battery in the nose, and I'm betting it'll fly well on low throttle. The motor is spinning a 9x4.5 reverse prop, and the fuselage below the power pod at the rear is tapered to reduce drag. I need to see how it balances out with the battery, put a dab of hot glue on the skewers for holding the wing down, and maybe add some reflective tape highlights on the fuselage.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Sounds like you're a bit jealous. Good question too.
The Explorer I had is very similar, I flew it wrong when I had it, probably why I refer to it in past tense now. I flew it like a warbird and crashed it like a warbird. Now I wish I had it to just leisurely float around in the wind, so yea a little jealous.

FoamyDM

The Explorer I had is very similar, I flew it wrong when I had it, probably why I refer to it in past tense now. I flew it like a warbird and crashed it like a warbird. Now I wish I had it to just leisurely float around in the wind, so yea a little jealous.
OH, I see. Yeah I noticed mine was almost a better glider than my glider, so I take it slow and float. However I do acrobatics with it and love it. (reminds me to fix the rudder controls. Thanks!)
You know, there is a very simple fix for those I-wish-I-hadn't-crashed-that-blues right? Build another!:D

FoamyDM

maybe add some reflective tape highlights on the fuselage.
Do it along the leading edge of the wing and nose. If it catches a thermal and turns to a pepper spec in the sky, that reflective tape will save your @$$. turn lazy rudder circles, when it flashes it's facing you-ish and you'll get orientation back. Ask how I know.

@Hoomi she Looks like a Hobbyzone Aeroscout. but with a cooler tail. Don't forget to Tell us how she flies! What's the weight?
1575581969905.png

Piotrsko

Master member
Looks like a WANDERER wing. Like the looks, nice design. Set up your esc for "brake" and stop the prop for glide.

Piotrsko

Master member
Dead stop reduces drag to minimums of an equivalent flat plate which at 20 mph isn't much. Better to run at ~ 100 rpm , but that's difficult and eats battery watts. Full size non glider aircraft idle.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Dead stop reduces drag to minimums of an equivalent flat plate which at 20 mph isn't much. Better to run at ~ 100 rpm , but that's difficult and eats battery watts. Full size non glider aircraft idle.
Would the brake save props on belly landers

Zetoyoc

Elite member
i think it would if you could make it stop parallel to the wings but if it stopped vertical and had a brake on it, would it then be less likely to swing out of the way on impact and be more likely to break?
Would the brake save props on belly landers

Piotrsko

Master member
Might want to see if the prop stops in a random place. Should power just one phase to lock it but I'm not sure if that is a specific magnet combination or otherwise. Mine is random. Stopping it tends to save props if they are sort of flexible

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I was thinking if it uses brake it will add drag for landing and if it stops vertical just give it a quick shot to spin again to horizontal