The Talespin Tavern -all things off topic

Piotrsko

Master member
In my distant past, there was a billboard on Cali 14 through Palmdale advertising operational P51 surplus with spare merlin in storage can for $800. Elmer of Mojave fame bought a couple, but it was a years salary back then. 6 grand would have been retired honduran trainer P51 about 1980.

Pa12 have never been cheap in my memory. The 51 was actually less expensive, and my pa20 was $2000 in 1950 delivered.

Last edited:

Taildragger

Legendary member
In my distant past, there was a billboard on Cali 14 through Palmdale advertising operational P51 surplus with spare merlin in storage can for $800. Elmer of Mojave fame bought a couple, but it was a years salary back then. 6 grand would have been retired honduran trainer P51 about 1980.

Pa12 have never been cheap in my memory. The 51 was actually less expensive, and my pa20 was $2000 in 1950 delivered.
they were around $3000 brand new since they were made from surplus of ww2, but since have inflated quite a bit. Definitely cheap compared to their siblings like the pa18 though

Taildragger

Legendary member
YESSS.... now this is the type of stuff I have been looking for. Your quality has gone up by 1000. Keep it up, good job. Can we also get a vid on tips and tricks of RC bush flying plz?
Thank you 😊. Tips and tricks… I don’t see why not.

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
CC148CBB-78E2-4E76-991F-7CB10248BC01.jpeg

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
To revive an older conversation about an appropriate name change for "The Coffee Shop 2.0". Most of this background is from wikipedia and matches what I've read from other sources.

"Pancho Barnes (July 22, 1901 – March 30, 1975) was a pioneer aviator and a founder of the first movie stunt pilots' union. In 1930, she broke Amelia Earhart's air speed record. Barnes raced in the Women's Air Derby and was a member of the Ninety-Nines.
In March 1935 bought 180 acres (73 ha) of land in the Mojave Desert, near the Rogers dry lake bed and the nascent Muroc Field, then called March Field because it was an adjunct property of March Army Air Base at that time. On her land, Pancho Barnes built the Happy Bottom Riding Club, also known as the Rancho Oro Verde Fly-Inn Dude Ranch, a dude ranch and restaurant which catered to airmen at the nearby airfield and her friends from Hollywood. Barnes became very close friends with many of the early test pilots, including Chuck Yeager, Robert Anderson "Bob" Hoover, Walt Williams, Jack Ridley, General Jimmy Doolittle, Buzz Aldrin, North American Aviation flight test mechanic Bob Cadick, and flight test supervisor Roy Ferren. Barnes' ranch became famous for the parties and high-flying lifestyle of all the guests.
After successful flight trials, the Muroc and Edwards test pilots often enjoyed some good times at the Happy Bottom Riding Club. As proprietor, Barnes would offer them a customary free steak dinner for breaking the sound barrier."

So in her memory I propose "Happy Bottom Riding Club"

Incader

So in her memory I propose "Happy Bottom Riding Club"[/QUOTE said:
How does that show how we are an off-topic chatting thread to a newcomer?
I guess the name does introduce a kind of “club” feeling with a kinda wacko name

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
You have a point. Certainly not self explanatory. But on the flip side I would personally carry on the tradition of buying a steak dinner for anyone who breaks the sound barrier - with their foam board plane, of course.

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
You have a point. Certainly not self explanatory. But on the flip side I would personally carry on the tradition of buying a steak dinner for anyone who breaks the sound barrier - with their foam board plane, of course.
I’m pretty sure I broke the sound barrier with my arrow. I’d like to redeem my steak…