The Coffee Shop - For general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Before anyone points the finger, I will admit I am one of the worst culprits for going off topic. Hence this thread The Coffee Shop, its not a new idea I actually stole it from another forum I use occasionally.
Rather than people going off topic, or using the wrong post for general topics of conversation. I though the coffee shop is the ideal place to stop off for: A general chat, to vent your spleen/complain, right the world or just have a bit of banter with other forum members.

This thread is an open topic, so pull up a chair pour yourself a mug of hot coffee and say whats your mind, or just open a topic of conversation (within reason ;)) (y)

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Before anyone points the finger
I want to lol. So are we gonna switch from the other off topic thread to this now? Or is this like another thread for going slightly off topic but not too crazy with an overload of memes and stuff?
Tbh in the beginning I really didn't like the amount of off topic threads but I think that this might be nice. Just worried that there will be too many of these threads. I'm also worried about this thread getting too crazy.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I want to lol. So are we gonna switch from the other off topic thread to this now? Or is this like another thread for going slightly off topic but not too crazy with an overload of memes and stuff?
Tbh in the beginning I really didn't like the amount of off topic threads but I think that this might be nice. Just worried that there will be too many of these threads. I'm also worried about this thread getting too crazy.
I can see your point and agree, I dont want tis just to be somewhere for posting memes. The aim is to have a place for members to go for a chat about none RC related subjects serious or humorous. If a conversation starts in another thread that isn't appropriate for that subject, forum members can be re-directed to the coffee shop to continue the conversation. Its an open topic for people to discuss: work, school or whats going on in the world at the moment.
Its just a good way to stop other posts from getting bogged down.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I can see your point and agree, I dont want tis just to be somewhere for posting memes. The aim is to have a place for members to go for a chat about none RC related subjects serious or humorous. If a conversation starts in another thread that isn't appropriate for that subject, forum members can be re-directed to the coffee shop to continue the conversation. Its an open topic for people to discuss: work, school or whats going on in the world at the moment.
Excellent. Now how does everybody like their coffee? I personally don't like coffee much unless it has more milk and sugar than usual. I prefer hot chocolate lol.

Flyingshark

Master member
I too am tired of all the offtopic threads, but this "offtopic with restrictions" idea sounds great!

Ok, has anyone else had problems with people walking dogs, when you fly in an open public space? (undeveloped field in a residential area, a park, etc.) Today a bunch of people were out with their dogs scattered around the field when i got there, so I had to switch to another, tighter turning and slower plane until they went away, after maidening my Vector and concluding I'd need more of the field for a safe "margin of error" to test it further. Anyway, just wondering if you guys have had any similar experiences.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I too am tired of all the offtopic threads, but this "offtopic with restrictions" idea sounds great!

Ok, has anyone else had problems with people walking dogs, when you fly in an open public space? (undeveloped field in a residential area, a park, etc.) Today a bunch of people were out with their dogs scattered around the field when i got there, so I had to switch to another, tighter turning and slower plane until they went away, after maidening my Vector and concluding I'd need more of the field for a safe "margin of error" to test it further. Anyway, just wondering if you guys have had any similar experiences.

I like the ones out walking their dogs unleashed that walk up to me and complain about me flying while standing right next to the sign that CLEARLY states NO DOGS ALLOWED in the park but nothing about me flying. I politely land away from them and their dog so their pet does not try to eat my quad, remove my goggles and simply look at them.. blink my eyes and look up at the sign and wait for it to sink in.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang

Oh yes I have had those problems. Interestingly enough though my biggest problems have been with humans. Even at the normal place where I fly, where there were quite a few people flying at the time and it's kinda known as a flying spot. At my normal field it has only happened once but a couple and their young kid were walking closer to my flying area than usual. I had just had a brownout that day with the plane I was flying so I definitely tightened up my pattern to stay away.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I like the ones out walking their dogs unleashed that walk up to me and complain about me flying while standing right next to the sign that CLEARLY states NO DOGS ALLOWED in the park but nothing about me flying. I politely land away from them and their dog so their pet does not try to eat my quad, remove my goggles and simply look at them.. blink my eyes and look up at the sign and wait for it to sink in.
Once a guy told me I couldn't fly at a school field (school was out and I was flying pretty safely). He cited the sign that says "no model airplanes". The sign also says "no pets" and "no skateboarding". I told him to go tell the people walking their dogs to leave too and that pissed him off. I haven't met him since and everybody else that I have met there was very nice. I even got to talk to a guy who was getting back in the hobby after a long time (he still had a horizon super cub, like the red and white one). I told the guy about some nice places to fly and we had a nice conversation.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Once a guy told me I couldn't fly at a school field (school was out and I was flying pretty safely). He cited the sign that says "no model airplanes". The sign also says "no pets" and "no skateboarding". I told him to go tell the people walking their dogs to leave too and that pissed him off. I haven't met him since and everybody else that I have met there was very nice. I even got to talk to a guy who was getting back in the hobby after a long time (he still had a horizon super cub, like the red and white one). I told the guy about some nice places to fly and we had a nice conversation.

I had a knucklehead father who walked his son thru the track I had set up for race practice. I was not in the air as they started walking thru so I sat quietly and waited for them to get past the border to a safer distance and put my quad up for a run. They stopped and walked BACK on to the field so I landed and waited and waited. Finally I walked out grabbed the quad and walked over and asked if they wanted to use the field. He said no he just wanted to watch. So I asked them to move off the field further where it was safe and he immediately started in with "Its a public field he can stand where he wants" I replied its not safe incase something happened I could potentially hit them where they were standing. "he then chimed in with he was a grown a@# man and he would show his son to not back down" so I asked him when they come to the park to watch soccer or football do they walk out onto the field to see the game because he was a "grown a@# man" he got all huffy and I didn't want to embarrass him in front of his boy if he got stupid so I just packed up and left..

OliverW

Legendary member
Excellent. Now how does everybody like their coffee? I personally don't like coffee much unless it has more milk and sugar than usual. I prefer hot chocolate lol.
I like my coffee with barely any half and half in it. Like just a slight splash to where the coffee isn't completely black, and them I'm good to go. I could go for that any day

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I like my coffee with barely any half and half in it. Like just a slight splash to where the coffee isn't completely black, and them I'm good to go. I could go for that any day
I once went to Trader Joe's with my dad and while he was taking a coffee sample at the sample table thingy I grabbed one of the little cups and filled it with plain half and half. I don't know why but I liked that stuff lol. There was a woman next to me and she just looked at me like "what is this kid doing?"

Before anyone points the finger, I will admit I am one of the worst culprits for going off topic. Hence this thread The Coffee Shop, its not a new idea I actually stole it from another forum I use occasionally.
Rather than people going off topic, or using the wrong post for general topics of conversation. I though the coffee shop is the ideal place to stop off for: A general chat, to vent your spleen/complain, right the world or just have a bit of banter with other forum members.

This thread is an open topic, so pull up a chair pour yourself a mug of hot coffee and say whats your mind, or just open a topic of conversation (within reason ;)) (y)
Best idea ever, but too late. I've already pointed various different fingers at you or above you more times than I can count. If I had a nickel for pointing a finger at you a zillion times, I'd have... well... a nickel.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
This thread should really be in the "Fun and Distractions" section of the forum.

Back on/off topic: Coffee in hand! green tea later today. Fresh ground and loose leaf FTW!
LB

Status
Not open for further replies.