The Coffee Shop - For general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
I went over to a very attractive woman in a bar one night, she stopped me in my tracks and said "before you start trying to chat me up, I am a lesbian, and I want to sleep with that woman at the end of the bar" to which I replied " I must be a lesbian too then, because so do I". We had a good laugh about it afterwards.
Now that’s funny.

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
I have some friends who are gay but most are bisexual/ Pansexual. Which makes it a little less awkward.
edit* pansexual and bisexual both mean that you like all genders.

Last edited:
That's great! Part of my intention was getting people to clarify it's all meant with respect and good will. Many men feel that it goes without saying, but what we don't see ourselves is how often a warm smile can turn hostile. Think of any example of a nasty thing a man might do to a woman - whatever it is, studies will likely say 1 in 4 women have experienced it. That's why (as much as we would really rather not take our minds to that dark place and I'm sorry to spoil the mood by making your minds go there) I feel I should bring it to attention and just get people saying that though they might make a generalisation for a bit of fun - they're not gonna make women the butt of every joke or simply not care how what we say might make them feel.

It's annoying (or rather, tragic) that we should have to clarify that in the first place, I know. But its a reality women live with everyday, so I'm sure we can show consideration it once in a while. Again, no hard feelings. Just spreading awareness. :)
All good. :)
Be careful with that word "generalization" my friend. We generalize. It's one of our most useful basic tools of thought, and if you didn't generalize you wouldn't live 'til tomorrow.
Men and women ARE different kinds of creatures, there's no doubt about that, except by people who won't open their eyes and see the obvious emotional, social, intellectual differences. Us guys, we don't know what we're talking about but we will of course generalize. As women will. As every human being on the planet does. ;)

And there's a big difference between an individual and a group. I don't like the Chinese. I don't like the CCP or some aspects of their culture or doing business with them online. But put a human being in front of me from anywhere on the planet including China and they're my best friend - until they start disappointing me with a display of poor character. So yeah I don't like the Chinese - Ooh it's not fair to generalize about a country or it's people! - Yes it is, and I just did.

IcedStorm777

Be careful with that word "generalization" my friend. We generalize. It's one of our most useful basic tools of thought, and if you didn't generalize you wouldn't live 'til tomorrow.
Men and women ARE different kinds of creatures, there's no doubt about that, except by people who won't open their eyes and see the obvious emotional, social, intellectual differences. Us guys, we don't know what we're talking about but we will of course generalize. As women will. As every human being on the planet does. ;)

And there's a big difference between an individual and a group. I don't like the Chinese. I don't like the CCP or some aspects of their culture or doing business with them online. But put a human being in front of me from anywhere on the planet including China and they're my best friend - until they start disappointing me with a display of poor character. So yeah I don't like the Chinese - Ooh it's not fair to generalize about a country or it's people! - Yes it is, and I just did.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Generalization is IMO the most important tool for big decisions. After all any assertion I make about anything is generalizing. "This forum is awesome and so are the people" I just generalized that everyone on this forum is good. Is that true? Probably not, I'm sure there are probably some bad apples on here but it is generally a true statement.

P.S. I love this forum and the people on it.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Ok, so I know that @IcedStorm777 said he wouldn't keep on going about the "stupid teenager crap" but I had a question for people here. When do you even start dating? I'm a freshman in high school and have never even thought of it, but there are people out here who are just a year or two ahead already dating others. How does it even work? Like I don't really have the money to go out and buy somebody dinner, and how will either of us have the time with school? Also what's gonna happen when everybody goes off on their own to college?
One thing that I'm worried about is that I want to join the Air Force, so I would go to college (hopefully USAFA), then straight off to the Air Force for like 10 years, but after that I will be like 30, and maybe it will be too late to actually find someone and have a family or something... I know it's probably not gonna be too late, and I should probably figure it out later, but I really don't get how this whole Air Force stuff works. Like when you come back home every once in a while how long do you stay before going back again? I heard that being a pilot in the Air Force has some 10 year minimum service requirement or something, so would I spend a year away and then a few months back home before going away again?
I really have no idea lol.
My son has had a few girl friends from a very young age. He took after his father with his charm and charisma. However, they where more friendships nothing really serious. Most of his mates growing up didn't have girlfriends and couldn't get girls.
This is where your stories are similar, he then joined the RAF cadets at 14 and quickly progressed through the ranks to flight sgt by 16. He had one goal in life which was to join the RAF at 16 as an apprentice aircraft engineer. While in the cadets he met a girl, who use to go to the same school as him when he was 5yrs old, they got friendly and started dating. She knew his career aspirations and fully supported him.

Once my son reached 16 and received his exam results necessary for entry to the RAF he applied. He took the first test and achieved a score normally unheard of for 16yr olds, which aloowed him to progress his career as an aircraft engineer.
He took the medical and passed, he had his interview and passed with flying colours, then went for his physical test and passed easily. He was ready to take the 3 day PRTC (pre recruit training course), the last stage he had to pass.
He also passed the PRTC, even though he had 2 weeks previously injured his arms receiving 8 stiches and left the training camp having fulfilled everything to get in the RAF as an aircraft engineer.
The final stage was a formal presentation, fullfilling the oath and signing his contract of employment, he could then progress to the 10 week BRTC (basic recruit training course).
Myself and his mum took him to the office, feeling very proud of him but a little sad. We watched him go in and waved goodbye, the next time we saw out son he would be signed up.
After 60 minutes we where asked to come through to an office wher our son was sat, he looked sad and dispondant. I asked what was up, he replied " Ive changed my mind I dont want to join, its going to take too many years out of my life". "I dont want to leave my family and girlfriend behind". We left the office that day and he never looked back.
After that he went back to college studied engineering and fabrication, then last year started work as an apprentice on heavy goods vehicles as a mechanic. He is also now engaged to be married to his long term girlfriend.
Just thought this story might give you some forsight and show you, that as much as you think you know what you want and what the future holds, things can change ;)

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member

The Chinese people I have had the good fortune to meet, have been lovely human beings so I can't really say anything on that subject. The same applies to most races of people I have met, most are pleasant human beings my daughter in law to be is Polish and a lovely warm hearted, intelligent girl. There are always people in every race that are just horrible human beings, or not worth the effort of being civil to but that can be anywhere on this planet not a specific race.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Also this whole lack of knowledge about being in the Air Force is the main thing that's holding me back from actually wanting to do it. I'm not sure exactly what I'm getting into, but I guess I can figure that out later.
They make it sound like a great career and for somne it is, but please understand its not just a career in the forces. Its a way of life. The famous quote is you get 4 minutes a day to youself the rest belongs to the service. Just make sure before you join that you understand what your committing too before you go ahead ;)

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
They make it sound like a great career and for somne it is, but please understand its not just a career in the forces. Its a way of life. The famous quote is you get 4 minutes a day to youself the rest belongs to the service. Just make sure before you join that you understand what your committing too before you go ahead ;)
Yep, and I will be sure of that. I will do as much research as I need before making the decision, because I don’t want to join and regret it or not join and regret never trying.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
My son has had a few girl friends from a very young age. He took after his father with his charm and charisma. However, they where more friendships nothing really serious. Most of his mates growing up didn't have girlfriends and couldn't get girls.
This is where your stories are similar, he then joined the RAF cadets at 14 and quickly progressed through the ranks to flight sgt by 16. He had one goal in life which was to join the RAF at 16 as an apprentice aircraft engineer. While in the cadets he met a girl, who use to go to the same school as him when he was 5yrs old, they got friendly and started dating. She knew his career aspirations and fully supported him.

Once my son reached 16 and received his exam results necessary for entry to the RAF he applied. He took the first test and achieved a score normally unheard of for 16yr olds, which aloowed him to progress his career as an aircraft engineer.
He took the medical and passed, he had his interview and passed with flying colours, then went for his physical test and passed easily. He was ready to take the 3 day PRTC (pre recruit training course), the last stage he had to pass.
He also passed the PRTC, even though he had 2 weeks previously injured his arms receiving 8 stiches and left the training camp having fulfilled everything to get in the RAF as an aircraft engineer.
The final stage was a formal presentation, fullfilling the oath and signing his contract of employment, he could then progress to the 10 week BRTC (basic recruit training course).
Myself and his mum took him to the office, feeling very proud of him but a little sad. We watched him go in and waved goodbye, the next time we saw out son he would be signed up.
After 60 minutes we where asked to come through to an office wher our son was sat, he looked sad and dispondant. I asked what was up, he replied " Ive changed my mind I dont want to join, its going to take too many years out of my life". "I dont want to leave my family and girlfriend behind". We left the office that day and he never looked back.
After that he went back to college studied engineering and fabrication, then last year started work as an apprentice on heavy goods vehicles as a mechanic. He is also now engaged to be married to his long term girlfriend.
Just thought this story might give you some forsight and show you, that as much as you think you know what you want and what the future holds, things can change ;)
This is definitely something to think about. I guess I will keep going with how things are planned and know that I can change things in the future. I almost keep forgetting that they probably won’t even let me be a pilot for medical reasons lol (asthma, but it is extremely mild to the point where I forget about it). I’m gonna make them tell me no though, instead of not trying because I might not make it.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
This is definitely something to think about. I guess I will keep going with how things are planned and know that I can change things in the future. I almost keep forgetting that they probably won’t even let me be a pilot for medical reasons lol (asthma, but it is extremely mild to the point where I forget about it). I’m gonna make them tell me no though, instead of not trying because I might not make it.
Dont forget you dont have to join the airforce to be a pilot

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
The Chinese people I have had the good fortune to meet, have been lovely human beings so I can't really say anything on that subject. The same applies to most races of people I have met, most are pleasant human beings my daughter in law to be is Polish and a lovely warm hearted, intelligent girl. There are always people in every race that are just horrible human beings, or not worth the effort of being civil to but that can be anywhere on this planet not a specific race.
My Chinese teacher was terrible.

Samh

Elite member
Ok, so I know that @IcedStorm777 said he wouldn't keep on going about the "stupid teenager crap" but I had a question for people here. When do you even start dating? I'm a freshman in high school and have never even thought of it, but there are people out here who are just a year or two ahead already dating others. How does it even work? Like I don't really have the money to go out and buy somebody dinner, and how will either of us have the time with school? Also what's gonna happen when everybody goes off on their own to college?
One thing that I'm worried about is that I want to join the Air Force, so I would go to college (hopefully USAFA), then straight off to the Air Force for like 10 years, but after that I will be like 30, and maybe it will be too late to actually find someone and have a family or something... I know it's probably not gonna be too late, and I should probably figure it out later, but I really don't get how this whole Air Force stuff works. Like when you come back home every once in a while how long do you stay before going back again? I heard that being a pilot in the Air Force has some 10 year minimum service requirement or something, so would I spend a year away and then a few months back home before going away again?
I really have no idea lol.
Edit: Sorry about the huge essay with my life problems. I don't personally know anybody in the Air Force so if you guys know the answers to the Air Force questions then it would be great, but the first paragraph or so can be ignored. I will most likely figure it all out soon enough.
I am currently a sophomore in highschool and am in the same situation as you @Ketchup. I have had a few "relationships" if you could call it that. First girl I "dated" dumped me after 4 months and said it was "a social experiment" but wouldn't give the real reason. Then so far every girl I have thought about asking out, has about a 10% success rate, because I am either conservative(not to bring politics into this), that I am a nice guy, or their lesbian. I dont know about yalls, but in my school you have to be either a drug dealer, a terrible person, or someone who doesnt care about girls at all for any girl to date you. It is really frustrating since no one will give me a shot lololol. Sorry for the rant, but just food for thought

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I am currently a sophomore in highschool and am in the same situation as you @Ketchup. I have had a few "relationships" if you could call it that. First girl I "dated" dumped me after 4 months and said it was "a social experiment" but wouldn't give the real reason. Then so far every girl I have thought about asking out, has about a 10% success rate, because I am either conservative(not to bring politics into this), that I am a nice guy, or their lesbian. I dont know about yalls, but in my school you have to be either a drug dealer, a terrible person, or someone who doesnt care about girls at all for any girl to date you. It is really frustrating since no one will give me a shot lololol. Sorry for the rant, but just food for thought
Ah don't worry pal there is plenty of time in later life for relationships, enjoy the freedom of being single while you can particularly while your young.
Plus if the girls in your school are hanging around drug takers and dealers, do you really want that type of woman ?

2jujube7

I almost keep forgetting that they probably won’t even let me be a pilot for medical reasons lol (asthma, but it is extremely mild to the point where I forget about it). I’m gonna make them tell me no though, instead of not trying because I might not make it.

Oh, same! Well, not asthma, but food allergies. I'm (extremely) allergic to milk, which is a major issue in everyday life. To top it off, the USAFA won't accept anyone with food allergies unless they have a special waiver. And those are very hard to get. I guess I'll get so good at flying airplanes that they will have no choice but to accept me. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.