The Coffee Shop - For general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OliverW

Legendary member
That plane really brings back memories. That was my son's first Formula 1 that used an OS 40 and 65 % nitro (no throttle-either on or off) that reached speeds of 180 to 200mph. Watch out for landings, the plane floats like a butterfly, if you fly it in the ground effects. All landings were one try since the engine was off. He was the only youngster to race pylon(age 11 by the way) and would usually take first or second in the races in standard class over a 2 year stint. (move on to heli's).
If it is a standard Formula 1 and you have a need for speed, mount a 40 with a tuned pipe, you should hit speeds of 130-150mph depending on how much nitro you use.
This one is a little small for that. Its only a 36" span and is meant for electric sadly

Battery800

Elite member
Ok, so say that I want to make a 2 is meter plane that is decently fast and powerful. Would something like a 13 gram metal gear be enough? Do I need bigger servos for the ailerons and flaps?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Ok, so say that I want to make a 2 is meter plane that is decently fast and powerful. Would something like a 13 gram metal gear be enough? Do I need bigger servos for the ailerons and flaps?
What type of plane? If it’s a 3D plane you’ll need some serious servos to move the big control surfaces but if it’s going to be something like a cub you’d be good with some emax 20g servos. That’s assuming you’re doing a foam build not a balsa one. You could get away with smaller servos on the flaps, you could honestly probably get away with plastic gear 9g servos for them, but for all your critical control surfaces I would use those emax 20g servos.

Battery800

Elite member
What type of plane? If it’s a 3D plane you’ll need some serious servos to move the big control surfaces but if it’s going to be something like a cub you’d be good with some emax 20g servos. That’s assuming you’re doing a foam build not a balsa one. You could get away with smaller servos on the flaps, you could honestly probably get away with plastic gear 9g servos for them, but for all your critical control surfaces I would use those emax 20g servos.
It’s pieliker’s cormorant. Designed for mild aerobatics.

Battery800

Elite member
Do big servos require a different battery or something different?

Battery800

Elite member
I don’t have any experience with this stuff, so after watching a few videos, I think it works like this:
the bec is attached (somehow?) to the ESC and then the positive wire of the ESC. The wire of the ESC plugs in as usual and the bec goes in any spare channel. Right?
I don’t know how this attaches to the ESC and what happens if there are two ESCs

Battery800

Elite member
I found some emax 19g servos, close enough but how big of a bec would I need for say- 6 of these servos (probably will use 4 but just to be safe)

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I don’t have any experience with this stuff, so after watching a few videos, I think it works like this:
the bec is attached (somehow?) to the ESC and then the positive wire of the ESC. The wire of the ESC plugs in as usual and the bec goes in any spare channel. Right?
I don’t know how this attaches to the ESC and what happens if there are two ESCs
Remove both red wires from both ESCs. You will need a special connector for this next step. One end goes into the battery, two go into the ESCs, and one goes to the BEC if I remember correctly. The BEC can then plug into any spare radio channel (there is usually a slot for batteries, but that's also the bind plug slot so you may need to get creative for binding).
Now that's if I remember it all right... Somebody will need to check my work here.

Battery800

Elite member
Remove both red wires from both ESCs. You will need a special connector for this next step. One end goes into the battery, two go into the ESCs, and one goes to the BEC if I remember correctly. The BEC can then plug into any spare radio channel (there is usually a slot for batteries, but that's also the bind plug slot so you may need to get creative for binding).
Now that's if I remember it all right... Somebody will need to check my work here.
Ok... now I’m super confused

Battery800

Elite member
In this project that I am imagining that may or may not come to a flite fest Ohio near you in the future, I will probably use two sunnysky 2814 motors that will draw about 80 amps each so 2 100 amp ESCs to be safe. Then, I am planning to use 4-5 20g servos depending on whether I go for a rudder or not, and 2 13 gram servos for the flaps. With this setup, I’m wondering if two included becs will double the bec capacity or not change it, and if that will be enough considering that they are 100 amp ESCs after all...

Battery800

Elite member
Would the special connector be a tri-y harness or a y harness connecting the ESCs and then another to connect that to the bec?

Status
Not open for further replies.