The Controversial Storch Build! (placeholder for now)

PoorManRC

Master member
The method my local club uses to help REAL pilots learn faster is to resort to the methods used by the French in WWI. The penguins!

We get them to do straight line runs, (take off runs), and when the plane lifts off we get them to cut the throttle and glide it straight ahead keeping the wings level. Each successive run the HOP height and distance is increased.

Next is to do a hop with a single turn and then land. and so on until the newb is able to do a single circuit and dead stick landing. After that we stop trying to teach and get him to go to safe height and use what he already knows. Using this approach we have a number of licenced pilots who are now RC capable all without a single crash, (some rough landings I will admit).

Just something to think about!

have fun!

I LIKE THAT, SIR!!!! Now THAT sounds like a plan I can do Solo!
Time for me to hit the Rack. Talk tomorrow, MAYBE my stuff, due on Monday, will finally get here.
I believe that the USPS is delivering it by HORSE!

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
That's another good secondary use of simulator time... when weather and delivery delays conspire to keep you indoors! You should be able to hook a USB controller to your tablet/simulator and have it use those as PC joysticks. I know on both my DevationTX and OpenTX based TX hardware, I can connect them via USB to both my computer and an old ASUS Tablet with full sized USB-A ports and use them like XBox joysticks.

PoorManRC

Master member
That's another good secondary use of simulator time... when weather and delivery delays conspire to keep you indoors! You should be able to hook a USB controller to your tablet/simulator and have it use those as PC joysticks. I know on both my DevationTX and OpenTX based TX hardware, I can connect them via USB to both my computer and an old ASUS Tablet with full sized USB-A ports and use them like XBox joysticks.

Are you talking about something like a Xbox controller?? If so, that would do a lot to improve the feel of it all.

And, there's News............

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Are you talking about something like a Xbox controller?? If so, that would do a lot to improve the feel of it all.

And, there's News............

Yes, you can also hook up XBox controllers to your tablet, but what I'm suggesting is, if you have an RC aircraft TX that's programmable and has a USB port (my FrSky X9D+ and Devo 8S both have USB Mini -- usb-b? interfaces) so I can configure them to be "HID Joysticks" that to computers and tablets, look like XBox (or any generic) joystick.

It take a bit of fiddling with the TX programming and the Joystick Calibration on your PC/Tablet, but once it's sorted out, you can use your RC/hobby TX as a flight controller.

Heck, I even have my OpenTX FrSky X9D+ setup to fly from FlightGear (free/open source FPV simulator like you used in the military) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (Steam edition) on my Windows PC. That actually allows me to practice flying FPV fixed wing aircraft from the RC controller.

If you have a TX with a buddy box/trainer port, there are inexpensive USB interfaces that will plug into those and convert the PPM signal into USB joystick signals.

e.g. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077VDHL77/?tag=lstir-20

This leads me to ask: what RC TX are you using?

PoorManRC

Master member
THE STORCH ARRIVED TODAY!!!!! (y)(y):cool::love:

AND, what looks like a Tiny Trainer?? I can't recognize those things yet.....
Tim, THANK YOU!! You're a true Gentleman.

Also got some BIG Wheels, Servo Extensions (BADLY needed), Skewer Protectors, another Servo, a Lipo Alarm (THANK YOU!!!), and Glue Sticks - that I HOPE will fit my mini Gun. Either way, they WON'T go to waste! ;):cool:

Last Night, Dad-in-Law took me to Wally World, and he bought me Gorilla Glue, Drywall Tape, MinWax (Poly), 120/180 Sponge Sanding Blocks, Razor Blades and Chopsticks (instead of Skewers).

Plus the stuff I already bought, I'M READY!!!

Only ONE Glitch.........
My Wife Cindi, is going into Surgery in less than 2 Hours. So, I'd be the World's WORST Husband if I started Tonight!! :p
But TOMORROW...... It's ON!!

PoorManRC

Master member
Yes, you can also hook up XBox controllers to your tablet, but what I'm suggesting is, if you have an RC aircraft TX that's programmable and has a USB port (my FrSky X9D+ and Devo 8S both have USB Mini -- usb-b? interfaces) so I can configure them to be "HID Joysticks" that to computers and tablets, look like XBox (or any generic) joystick.

It take a bit of fiddling with the TX programming and the Joystick Calibration on your PC/Tablet, but once it's sorted out, you can use your RC/hobby TX as a flight controller.

Heck, I even have my OpenTX FrSky X9D+ setup to fly from FlightGear (free/open source FPV simulator like you used in the military) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (Steam edition) on my Windows PC. That actually allows me to practice flying FPV fixed wing aircraft from the RC controller.

If you have a TX with a buddy box/trainer port, there are inexpensive USB interfaces that will plug into those and convert the PPM signal into USB joystick signals.

e.g. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077VDHL77/?tag=lstir-20

This leads me to ask: what RC TX are you using?

GREAT Idea!! I've got an older Flysky GT-T6 TX. It's all I'll be able to afford for a long time...

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
GREAT Idea!! I've got an older Flysky GT-T6 TX. It's all I'll be able to afford for a long time...

Ah, yep, that should work with the $9 cable I linked to on Amazon, with one of the adapters it comes with. That product page lists Flysky specifically, so if you should be interesting in hooking it up to your tablet (assuming it has a USB-A full size port) for simulator use, that's an option. Otherwise, if you have a XBox controller lying around, you can use that as well for a closer, but not quite the same, feel.

Glad to see your gifts have arrived! The generosity of folks in this community never ceases to amaze me.

PoorManRC

Master member
Thank Both of you! Reality, there's NO WAY I would be anywhere but by her side. Cancer is really kicking her ass, but she's fighting back STRONG!!

THANKS for the TT as well!! I'll now have something else to get good at flying!!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
THE STORCH ARRIVED TODAY!!!!! (y)(y):cool::love:

AND, what looks like a Tiny Trainer?? I can't recognize those things yet.....
Tim, THANK YOU!! You're a true Gentleman.

Also got some BIG Wheels, Servo Extensions (BADLY needed), Skewer Protectors, another Servo, a Lipo Alarm (THANK YOU!!!), and Glue Sticks - that I HOPE will fit my mini Gun. Either way, they WON'T go to waste! ;):cool:

Last Night, Dad-in-Law took me to Wally World, and he bought me Gorilla Glue, Drywall Tape, MinWax (Poly), 120/180 Sponge Sanding Blocks, Razor Blades and Chopsticks (instead of Skewers).

Plus the stuff I already bought, I'M READY!!!

Only ONE Glitch.........
My Wife Cindi, is going into Surgery in less than 2 Hours. So, I'd be the World's WORST Husband if I started Tonight!! :p
But TOMORROW...... It's ON!!
I wish to add my thanks to Tim as well!

May your example be held up as the pinnacle of generosity and as something by which we are all judged!

I hope the OP goes well and she recovers quickly!

have fun!

mayan

Legendary member
@PoorManRC good luck with your wife's OP, hope everything goes well and that she gets back to herself soon. I lost my grandfather because of cancer, so I know how hard it is on both of you. May God be with you.

P.S- as for building, i am sure you'll find better times to build, then tonight.

PoorManRC

Master member
Ah, yep, that should work with the $9 cable I linked to on Amazon, with one of the adapters it comes with. That product page lists Flysky specifically, so if you should be interesting in hooking it up to your tablet (assuming it has a USB-A full size port) for simulator use, that's an option. Otherwise, if you have a XBox controller lying around, you can use that as well for a closer, but not quite the same, feel.

Glad to see your gifts have arrived! The generosity of folks in this community never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks for this information!! I don't have a full size USB port on the Tablet, it's the Mini.
That will help me when this MESS is over, and I can have a laptop again.

I'm going to try the Xbox Controller. My kids have at least 5 spares!!

PoorManRC

Master member
THANK YOU my newest friends!! :)
We're at the Hospital now, she's waiting to go back....
Cindi wants to thank all of you also!
The support from you guys, in every way, has been overwhelming and inspirational.

I couldn't IMAGINE being anywhere else but here. But while I'm pacing in the waiting room, I'll be checking in here, to break the insanity....

PoorManRC

Master member
Best wishes for a successful procedure and kicking the big C for you all.

Thank You!! She's in recovery, doing OK.... Almost lost her Kidney and Bladder, from a poorly done earlier procedure!!! :mad::mad:
Living in a City with a Medical School, means we got the pick of the Litter to do this complicated procedure... The Guy's a MD PhD.... He'll do!!! :p

@kilroy07 and @mayan ..... One step ahead!! I just watched the Storch Build, I'm about to watch the Tiny Trainer Build....
Then the Simple Scout, which I should have by Friday (the way USPS has been, I can't guarantee THIS Friday!!!)

Oh, and a Guy I haven't met YET, without asking, is sending me a 200 Watt Hot Glue Gun!!! You People are MIND BLOWING!!!

Cindi is strong.... Stronger than I am.