The Controversial Storch Build! (placeholder for now)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Thank You!! She's in recovery, doing OK.... Almost lost her Kidney and Bladder, from a poorly done earlier procedure!!! :mad::mad:
Living in a City with a Medical School, means we got the pick of the Litter to do this complicated procedure... The Guy's a MD PhD.... He'll do!!! :p

@kilroy07 and @mayan ..... One step ahead!! I just watched the Storch Build, I'm about to watch the Tiny Trainer Build....
Then the Simple Scout, which I should have by Friday (the way USPS has been, I can't guarantee THIS Friday!!!)

Oh, and a Guy I haven't met YET, without asking, is sending me a 200 Watt Hot Glue Gun!!! You People are MIND BLOWING!!!

Cindi is strong.... Stronger than I am.
Good news!

Give your wife our best wishes for a full recovery!

We need her to keep you in line:LOL:.

Have fun!

PoorManRC

Master member
Good news!
Give your wife our best wishes for a full recovery!

We need her to keep you in line:LOL:.

Have fun!

Thank you Bob!! Truer words were never spoken. She is my Rock. Without Her, there's not much left of me....

She's in a lot of Pain. The Anesthesia has fully worn off. Right now, I'm just watching her sleep. She's GOING to make it!! We Both have been through so much in the past 6 Years. It started with losing my Parents in 2012, 33 Days apart. 2 Years ago, I lost my 28 year old Daughter, in a horrible collision with a Semi.
Seemingly all of the time in between, one bad thing after another...

We're keeping positive. I believe in Miracles, and now would be a good time for one!

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
We have more in common than you would believe. I lost both my parents within a few months of each other and then my eldest daughter died from an OD. Having had 3 wives and 7 children the lawyers and the government have cleaned me out and I am under therapy for a whole pile of PTSD both employment and family related.

I don't work, (not allowed), my affliction can have violent outbursts in the workplace if pressured! I could go on but this is not a contest.
My flying is funded from what planes I can make and sell. The 3D printer cleaned me out but it is to hopefully pay for itself! believe it or not the RC club actually pays my membership fees. Being a builder, repairer, mentor and instructor has its minor benefits!

Today I collected a lottery prize, (a total of $20 aud), but to me it was the largest prize in over a year! If I could help I would as I know how medical expenses can explode, my youngest was born overseas and not covered under our Health Care system.

I wish you the best and hope those who can assist feel the need to do so. Honestly my finances are shot but the planes give me joy, pleasure, a sense of achievement, a purpose, and are a real distraction from the painful memories!

Good luck and God Bless and keep you and your wife!

Bob.

PoorManRC

Master member
Im so sorry for your loss Bob. There will never be anything that compares to the loss of a Child. For me, it's especially hard, this time of year....

For all intents and purposes, I SHOULD have PTSD. Maybe I've just becomev mentally Numb.
It's both frustrating and sad, that just a Decade ago, our Insurance was easier to use, cheaper, and covered more. Now, our Joke of a Healthcare System is abhorrent!!

I HOPE that someone is willing and ABLE to help us. At the same time, it killed me to ask..... I feel like one of those Guys who sit on Freeway off ramps with a cardboard sign.
I did used to give them money, when I was "allowed" to have extra....
Thank You, my Friend!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Never give up hope though! I believe in miracles they happen every day, (sadly I feel my turn is long overdue)!

I have faith and it keeps it all together for me!

As for the healthcare system in the US it is hard to fathom any system that turns misery into money. Sure Universal healthcare has its downsides like overservicing and underservicing plus of course its huge cost we believe it is worth it! A human life is PRICELESS regardless of whose life it is!

As for health insurance They seem to have as much fine print as a software licence and leave you with far less rights and generally zero coverage at all. Actually both here and in the UK people from the US either immigrate or have extended holidays and avail themselves of our free medical treatment.

Have you tried to start a crowd funding page to help support a disabled VET who was dropped by the insurance companies and who was disabled , (In service?), and the government no longer supports properly.

I wish you well and will be thinking of your issues for a very long time!

Have fun!

PoorManRC

Master member
I was Disabled in Service, I never really thought about the Disabled Combat Pay, because I was still working, as an Auto Mechanic. I had plenty then....
At least Non Profit Organizations are good to us old Warhorses.

"Wounded Warriors" came to Cindi's Hospital Room, and brought us Thanksgiving Turkey Feast, with all the trimmings!!! :cool::)

She is doing quite well for being 24 hours Post-op!!! That's my Thanksgiving Miracle!! Our Faith is strong. It does help.

I tried a Go-Fund-Me Page once..... It was to raise funds to help me Bury a CMO Recipient (my Dad), including transport of him across the Country, for burial at Arlington National Cemetery. (The actual Service was fully Paid by the US Government).....
I was told at least 20 times to GET A JOB!! :mad::( We got $26.00, and then lost in a VERY Big Shuffle of other Stories, many false!

So NO, I'm not going through THAT again!
I'm still wary about asking at all.....

Thank you, my Friend

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
As a father with 4 sons the attitude of governments to those disabled whilst serving their country is abhorrent to put it mildly.

They can destroy you life and employment prospects PERMANENTLY and then effectively brush you off and effectively ignore you! The governments declare war and send service personnel to do their bidding without a second thought for the personal suffering they cause. If politicians were put in the front line I am sure their attitudes would be VERY VERY different! In your country they should at least provide proper health insurance FREE for the Vets and their immediate family!

Being patriotic can cost you your health, future, family or life and the government only seems to care about you if you have an OFFENSIVE capability. If you are incapacitated you are treated just like a malfunctioning weapon you are quickly discarded and a replacement obtained! Consider how much money was poured into rebuilding Germany and Japan after WWII to how much was given to those who served and their families! It makes you wonder who actually won the war!

I have no respect for those who order the wounding and deaths of others and deny their responsibility for it.

Enough politics!!! I will get down off of my high horse now!

Have fun!

kilroy07

Legendary member
Alright, some morning motivation for ya! (Finally got some time to sit down at the workbench for awhile.)
IMG_7885[1].JPG

I "like" the gorilla glue, I'm not in love with it but I think it's great for some parts of the build.
It does take a LOT longer to cure compared to hotmelt glue....
I do like how it fills gaps and think it probably makes stronger joints, certainly lighter!
(had an epiphany last night that glue time might be why balsa builds take so much longer) :unsure:

IMG_7886[1].JPG

PoorManRC

Master member
Alright, some morning motivation for ya! (Finally got some time to sit down at the workbench for awhile.)
View attachment 119121

I "like" the gorilla glue, I'm not in love with it but I think it's great for some parts of the build.
It does take a LOT longer to cure compared to hotmelt glue....
I do like how it fills gaps and think it probably makes stronger joints, certainly lighter!
(had an epiphany last night that glue time might be why balsa builds take so much longer) :unsure:

View attachment 119122

VERY good motivation!!! (y)(y)
I really want to tear into mine..... SOON. I've got some Husband work, at least for the next couple of days. I'll probably sneak SOMETHING in!! :p

LOVE the way the Gorilla Glue doesn't expand too much. I was worrying about splitting seams. Doesn't look that way.
My Father-in-law grabbed a bunch of Paint Stirrers at Wally World. They look like they'll make some good reinforcement of Wings and things!

kilroy07

Legendary member
I've learned a lot playing around with the glue (and after I made my first "symmetrical" airfoil (NOT on purpose mind you.)

Now I spread a thin layer from the bottle then go back and smear that out with a q-tip. Makes a thin layer that puffs just enough to fill cracks nicely! Wear gloves, the stuff finds any (and ALL) pinpricks or tears in the foamboard, puffs out and gets everywhere (had to shave off a couple "warts" off the wings this morning!)

I understand, but I better not have mine finished before yours even gets cut out! :LOL:
You've got some time, I'm going to add some 3D printed details and paint her really nice!

I'm going 5 channel (separate flaps) with a 2216 power plant. Might* steal the FPV gear off the Explorer (now that it's on the bone pile)...

*Probably will.

PoorManRC

Master member
Not to worry, my friend.....
I WILL be starting SOON! I'm more excited than a Teenage Girl at a Shoe Sale!!! :eek::p:LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
You're GOING to be ahead of me, but the competitor in me isn't going to take this lying down either!!

I HAVE to make sure my Wife is okay, first.

I've already started the little things like Power Pods, the shorter Spars, and Hinge Reinforcement, with my baby Glue Gun.....
I had started applying MinWax, but stopped after you told me about bad Glue adhesion to the MinWax. Fortunately, all I've done, is on outer panels, that won't see much Glue.

I'm looking forward to getting this thing GOING!!! (y)(y)

I want to THANK all of you again, for the tremendous amount of Help I've got from you amazing individuals!!

PoorManRC

Master member
I'm REALLY NOT liking the way the Power Pods are looking....
I WISH I had a 3D Printer! :cry::(

SO many things I WANT to add. Some important, some..... notsomuch.

A few from Thingiverse:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2835356
Dummy Cylinders and Exhaust for the Scout and Sportster...

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2835413
Simple Scout Engine Cowling, with faux Guns!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2952961
Generic Main Landing Gear, most smaller Aircraft (3 possibly?)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1096211
MUCH more stable Mini Power Pods (another 3 please?)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2999491
Strong reinforced Landing Gear Mount - Cub, Storch, Sportster, Scout

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2940224
Much better than Foam, Landing Gear Wire holder for above

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2940221
Stronger, reinforced FT Firewall - BY FT!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2613908
GATLING GUN! Hey, a guy can have some fun, right? (Maybe 2 of them, one reversed?)

NO...... I haven't given it much thought!!!
I couldn't find ONE STINKING decent full size FT Power Pod, that didn't have at least ONE flaw. :mad::(

I should probably be sleeping!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I'm REALLY NOT liking the way the Power Pods are looking....
I WISH I had a 3D Printer! :cry::(

SO many things I WANT to add. Some important, some..... notsomuch.

A few from Thingiverse:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2835356
Dummy Cylinders and Exhaust for the Scout and Sportster...

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2835413
Simple Scout Engine Cowling, with faux Guns!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2952961
Generic Main Landing Gear, most smaller Aircraft (3 possibly?)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1096211
MUCH more stable Mini Power Pods (another 3 please?)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2999491
Strong reinforced Landing Gear Mount - Cub, Storch, Sportster, Scout

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2940224
Much better than Foam, Landing Gear Wire holder for above

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2940221
Stronger, reinforced FT Firewall - BY FT!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2613908
GATLING GUN! Hey, a guy can have some fun, right? (Maybe 2 of them, one reversed?)

NO...... I haven't given it much thought!!!
I couldn't find ONE STINKING decent full size FT Power Pod, that didn't have at least ONE flaw. :mad::(

I should probably be sleeping!
First things first!

Yes you should be sleeping!:p.

As for the 3D printed bits YES but then whilst there are many forum users even in your area with a 3D printer very few actually print for each other!

I bought my own, (well 2 so far), for the very same reasons! That reminds me I must complete the calibration of my new printer, (I have been slack lately).

As for such items perhaps you could plug into a community build and get someone to print 2 of each item instead of just one!

Worth a try!

Have fun!

PoorManRC

Master member
First things first!

Yes you should be sleeping!:p.

As for the 3D printed bits YES but then whilst there are many forum users even in your area with a 3D printer very few actually print for each other!

I bought my own, (well 2 so far), for the very same reasons! That reminds me I must complete the calibration of my new printer, (I have been slack lately).

As for such items perhaps you could plug into a community build and get someone to print 2 of each item instead of just one!

Worth a try!

Have fun!

I'm going to sleep.... Just checking on Cindi.
I know LESS than Diddly Squat about 3D Printing! But I wish it wasn't that way.
One person has already come through! Maybe someone else will. Just a favor.... perfectly fine if nobody is able. This is just something I threw out there....

Good Night!

d8veh

Elite member
I didn’t use any 3D printed parts in my planes. I bet nobody woud notice in the way they look or fly. You should first concentrate on getting a plane that flies. The more effort you put into your first plane, the more disappointment you will have when it smashes into the ground and the less likely you'll be to continue, then all the help you've had would also be wasted. It only takes a couple of nights to make the most complicated FT planes, so you can make a pretty one any time you want after you've learned to fly.

If you want guns, pilots and other things for your planes, go to a flea market and look at the kids toys. You can get them for more or less nothing. Cut off/disassemble what you want and chuck the rest.

That mini power pod you linked at above doesn't seem to have any side or downthrust in it, so you need to think about how you're going to deal with that if you use one. Also, 3D printed parts are not very forgiving when you crash. Not only are they likely to break themselves, but they will transfer more damaging energy to the structures arround them. The whole concept behind FT planes is that they're foregiving when they get rough treatment and easy to repair.

Last edited:

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Heh, 3D printing is a whole other hobby. It's certainly complimentary and worthwhile, but requires its own space, time, learning, etc. The good thing is that there are usually alternatives to getting / investing in your own hardware and software. A lot of public libraries now have 3D printers and you can submit jobs for prints that are either free or reasonably priced. There are also free CAD software options for modeling.

Have fun with that hobby, as well!

PoorManRC

Master member
I completely agree with all of you.....
I'm building a Tiny Trainer and a Mini Scout, for Learning!!

That's the point I'm still trying to make. I'll have my two Trainers for fun, learning and Crashing!!!

This Storch is NOT going to leave the ground, until I can get the others to Fly, in a way that isn't a DISASTER!
This is a special Project. In Memory of my Daughter, who had wanted to build Airplanes and fly with me......
I thought we had lots of time. She was a great Scratchbuilder. We talked about making it look as Scale as possible, without weighting it down to the point where she wouldn't fly!

So yeah, I've talked about doing this to an extreme that seemed unreasonable to some of you..... I guess I had to try to explain, the method to my madness.

d8veh

Elite member
I completely agree with all of you.....
I'm building a Tiny Trainer and a Mini Scout, for Learning!!
it only takes a couple of hours to make each of those. By my reckoning, they must both be finished now. Where are the photos? We want to see the maiden Video tomorrow too, please.