The Controversial Storch Build! (placeholder for now)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
DON'T Dare me!!! :cool::p:LOL: I break easily!
However, I'm a bit trapped. We're SO tight, that Landing Gear Wire is even out of reach right now....
Don't have Pushrods either, for any of them.

Suppose I could use a Coat Hanger for Landing Gear on the Trainers???
For pushrods I mostly use straightened paperclips! More than strong enough and relatively easy to bend. Normally have almost zero difficulty in pushing the clip through the servo arm or the control horn hole. For adjustment I make a "V" bend and adjust the bend to suit the correct trim or surface setting.

For landing gear, (smaller planes), I use the spring wire found on those cheap hub caps which litter the roadsides. The plastic is normally destroyed but the spring wire can be straightened and formed to suit whatever undercarriage you want. Sadly a little too flexible for heavier models and long undercarriage legs!

Coat hangars are MILES too soft!

Just what works for me!

Have fun!

PoorManRC

Master member
For pushrods I mostly use straightened paperclips! More than strong enough and relatively easy to bend. Normally have almost zero difficulty in pushing the clip through the servo arm or the control horn hole. For adjustment I make a "V" bend and adjust the bend to suit the correct trim or surface setting.

For landing gear, (smaller planes), I use the spring wire found on those cheap hub caps which litter the roadsides. The plastic is normally destroyed but the spring wire can be straightened and formed to suit whatever undercarriage you want. Sadly a little too flexible for heavier models and long undercarriage legs!

Coat hangars are MILES too soft!

Just what works for me!

Have fun!

I could probably get away paperclips..... Except both Trainers have the Servos mounted mid Fuse. I'll figure out something...
I often do!!! ;)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I could probably get away paperclips..... Except both Trainers have the Servos mounted mid Fuse. I'll figure out something...
I often do!!! ;)
I mount my servos on the outside of the fuselage and towards the rear so paper clips are more than long enough for me.

If you have some free space internally in the fuselage you can use the paper clip at each end of a BBQ skewer to make the pushrod. Just bind the paper clip to the BBQ skewer using cotton or similar and then apply either CA or Epoxy to secure it all. Works a treat!

Just what works for me!

have fun!

PoorManRC

Master member
Call JULIE! The local utilities will be happy to litter your lawn with a ton of them (you just have to strip off the little flags) :ROFLMAO:

Naw, I'm good! save the postage for something on your end. (Thanks though.) (y)

JULIE?? Hmmm..... Maybe I'll scour the Neighborhood for Utilities Flags. That COULD happen!!

PoorManRC

Master member
I mount my servos on the outside of the fuselage and towards the rear so paper clips are more than long enough for me.

If you have some free space internally in the fuselage you can use the paper clip at each end of a BBQ skewer to make the pushrod. Just bind the paper clip to the BBQ skewer using cotton or similar and then apply either CA or Epoxy to secure it all. Works a treat!

Just what works for me!

have fun!

Hmmmmmmmm........ Now THAT might work!!!

PoorManRC

Master member
Back to the Tiny Trainer "Hijack".....
I can report that I SUCK AT CUTTING GROOVES!!! :mad::mad::( I ruined the Fuse. I'm going to try again, of course. But it's frustrating!
I forgot a Bixler Staple.... DULLING the Blade Tip!! :mad:

My Ego needed a tweak, so I did my typical "It's good, but I can make it better", and designed a new Tailplane for it! :eek::p Nothing radical, just 1-1/2" taller, with an added Dorsal Fin.

Going back to "it's just Foam", and a Josh Bixler inspiration to experiment with the original design, I'm just trying to add some stability to an already stable Airframe!! Pics tomorrow. ;)

d8veh

Elite member
Currently, my two biggest problems are: the batch of bad Glue Sticks, and not having Landing Gear for EITHER Trainer.

In the Arizona Desert..... One does not simply belly land a Foam Core Airplane!! :eek::poop:
You don't need to worry about landing gear for now. I'd say that the chance of landing on the wheels is pretty slim, so not much advantage from them. Look for a rubber propeller instead.:devilish:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
You didn't have one?... :unsure::p

DON'T throw it away!
Simply flip it over and run some packing take on the paper side where you cut through (badda Boom, badda Bing!)
I often do this with control surfaces on the larger builds anyway to give them more strength.

Yep - don't trash it. The tape fix suggested by @kilroy07 works great.

DamoRC

PoorManRC

Master member
You didn't have one?... :unsure::p

DON'T throw it away!
Simply flip it over and run some packing tape on the paper side where you cut through (badda Boom, badda Bing!)
I often do this with control surfaces on the larger builds anyway to give them more strength.

Don't worry Guys, I'm not throwing ANYTHING away!! ;)
Tim, already did the Packing Tape method, and applied a bead of Hot Glue.

Gotta do some Dressing work on the Wife, then I'll try some more on the TT. :alien:

PoorManRC

Master member
It's looking UGLY.... But it MAY fly!

Meanwhile, to throw a wrench in the works - I went and did a Mini Sportster!! :) Learning from all the STUPID mistakes I made yesterday. :p
It's Polyhedral Undercambered Wing SHOULD make it fairly easy to Fly.....
And I learned something from a YouTube video last night. You Guys I'm sure know this already, but my first flights are going to be in 2S!!

Apparently, that keeps you low and slow enough, so the Airplane doesn't get ahead of me! This could actually work!!
...... I just gotta figure out how to get Control Rods. Still looking for Utility Flags.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor

PoorManRC

Master member
That's still on my list.....
I just met a Forum Member who lives HERE!! He told me about a Music Wire Sale, that I'm about to check out.

I also just found out that Rasterize lives here too!!! :cool::)
So, I may have my pretty Plane after all!!!

jamboree1

Good luck on the maiden. A few tips on it that's rarely mentioned. 1 check your C.R.A.P., after you do that, check it again. 2 make sure the prop is facing the right way, the numbers always face forward on a tractor setup, or even pusher setup unless said prop is specific for a pusher. 3 and this is very important. Launch with the sun at your back and never fly behind you, and if possible don't fly directly at yourself until you learn the controls and plane orientation. 4 get someone to hand launch the plane for you, if not possible launch with no more than half throttle at a slight upward angle and a mid effort toss, if it won't fly at half throttle it probably won't fly at all. 5, relax, it's just foam.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Good luck on the maiden. A few tips on it that's rarely mentioned. 1 check your C.R.A.P., after you do that, check it again. 2 make sure the prop is facing the right way, the numbers always face forward on a tractor setup, or even pusher setup unless said prop is specific for a pusher. 3 and this is very important. Launch with the sun at your back and never fly behind you, and if possible don't fly directly at yourself until you learn the controls and plane orientation. 4 get someone to hand launch the plane for you, if not possible launch with no more than half throttle at a slight upward angle and a mid effort toss, if it won't fly at half throttle it probably won't fly at all. 5, relax, it's just foam.
"Launch with the sun at your back" - LOL!!! I wish I could at our flight field - the pilots have to stand to the north of the field....must get myself some prescription sunglasses for next year!! :cool:
dewsbury ff.jpg
Our flying field - north to the top surrounded by plane eating river :)

Last edited: