The Controversial Storch Build! (placeholder for now)

mayan

Legendary member
4 get someone to hand launch the plane for you, if not possible launch with no more than half throttle at a slight upward angle and a mid effort toss, if it won't fly at half throttle it probably won't fly at all.
I always hand launch with full throttle and reduce it once I balance of and gain a bit of altitude. That’s what works for me...

PoorManRC

Master member
Good luck on the maiden. A few tips on it that's rarely mentioned. 1 check your C.R.A.P., after you do that, check it again. 2 make sure the prop is facing the right way, the numbers always face forward on a tractor setup, or even pusher setup unless said prop is specific for a pusher. 3 and this is very important. Launch with the sun at your back and never fly behind you, and if possible don't fly directly at yourself until you learn the controls and plane orientation. 4 get someone to hand launch the plane for you, if not possible launch with no more than half throttle at a slight upward angle and a mid effort toss, if it won't fly at half throttle it probably won't fly at all. 5, relax, it's just foam.

OK, I may be a 1:1 Pilot.... But I've never heard of "C.R.A.P."...
Should I have? Or maybe I remember it as something else.

OR, I'm just getting Old!! :p

PoorManRC

Master member
I always hand launch with full throttle and reduce it once I balance of and gain a bit of altitude. That’s what works for me...

I don't have anybody....yet.
Other reason why everything HAS to have Landing Gear!!!

Mayan, what you said may make sense.... If I'm taking off with 2S for Power, would I have enough thrust at half Throttle?
I'm still learning with a lot of you. ;)

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic

it means
C-check that you Control surfaces go the right way.

R-check for any Rips or tears.

A-make sure all off the Angles are the way they should be.

P-check you Power system to make sure it's operating correctly

mayan

Legendary member

357944C2-222A-4165-B5B8-641A7C625417.png

mayan

Legendary member
I don't have anybody....yet.
Other reason why everything HAS to have Landing Gear!!!

Mayan, what you said may make sense.... If I'm taking off with 2S for Power, would I have enough thrust at half Throttle?
I'm still learning with a lot of you. ;)
You will but I just like to make sure I have enough power to gain altitude quickly that gives me some peace of mind to make mistakes. After I gain altitude I reduce throttle to 50% +-, usually after about 5-10 seconds after I hand launch.

BTW you mentioned on another post that it’s hard to belly land in your area, trust me that where I fly it ain’t any better. If you look at one of my last videos I think it from the 19th of the month you’ll see that the plane has some jumpy belly landings when it jumps off a ramp pile of rocks and dirt. Most times it lives the next day. :)

PoorManRC

Master member
it means
C-check that you Control surfaces go the right way.

R-check for any Rips or tears.

A-make sure all off the Angles are the way they should be.

P-check you Power system to make sure it's operating correctly

THANK YOU! ;)
The Preflight! Minus a few things. :p
VERY good, very easy to remember!

PoorManRC

Master member
You will but I just like to make sure I have enough power to gain altitude quickly that gives me some peace of mind to make mistakes. After I gain altitude I reduce throttle to 50% +-, usually after about 5-10 seconds after I hand launch.

BTW you mentioned on another post that it’s hard to belly land in your area, trust me that where I fly it ain’t any better. If you look at one of my last videos I think it from the 19th of the month you’ll see that the plane has some jumpy belly landings when it jumps off a ramp pile of rocks and dirt. Most times it lives the next day. :)

Yeah.... I've been to Israel.... MANY years ago! I do remember that the terrain is VERY similar to the Mohave Desert here.
We just don't have the Über Significant Holy Ruins and Artifacts (although we DO have a great big Hole in the Ground!!) :p
We also don't have Palestine trying to take us over............
But give it time! :confused::eek:

Being serious, we do have a bunch of closed or rarely used Roads, that are used for Runways and Go-Cart tracks.
Asphalt will really do a number on THESE Bellies!!

Which is also why I'm converting most of my Aircraft to Tricycle Landing Gear. Nose overs can hurt too!
I CAN'T prevent damage!! I am trying to lessen it, because it could end up being too expensive for me to fix.

kilroy07

Legendary member
You can hand launch solo (much easier with tractors than pushers!)

What I do is
1. Hold the plane in right hand (I'm right handed) this is AFTER the pre-flight
2. hold the transmitter in the left.
3. Use mouth (or left thumb) to bring throttle to about 75% (personally I find the 2205s get a little torquey at full throttle, your results may vary and this is probably a personal thing.)
4. Chuck that sucker into the wind with a slightly up attitude (30% above the horizon maybe...)
5. Quickly get that right hand on the controls as you usually need a touch of back pressure.
6. enjoy...
7. crash! :LOL:

You can use that battery checker and just strap it on with a rubber band and listen for the beep or set a timer.

We "might get a break in weather (read mid 40s!) Thursday or Friday. I'll either maiden the Storch OR might maiden the Night Radian and F4 as my radio came yesterday!! (insert snoopy happy dance here.)

kilroy07

Legendary member
Two layers of packing tape works wonders on bellies to prevent road rash.

You can also just get her low, chop the throttle and stall her in... ('course I wouldn't recommend that for 1:1...) ;)
The TT should glide also, so might not need throttle (depends on wind of course, and how far you are willing to walk.)

PoorManRC

Master member
Two layers of packing tape works wonders on bellies to prevent road rash.

You can also just get her low, chop the throttle and stall her in... ('course I wouldn't recommend that for 1:1...) ;)
The TT should glide also, so might not need throttle (depends on wind of course, and how far you are willing to walk.)

I'm going to need another Roll of Packing Tape soon... Fortunately the last one I got at Dollar Tree was quite thin, and so far seems pretty strong.
I still want Landing Gear! I'd stick two of those Legacy sized Wheels to the sides of the Mini Speedster I just finished, pop them straight in with nails, to the sides of the Fuse!!! :p

But....... It might be too heavy to fly!

PoorManRC

Master member
You can hand launch solo (much easier with tractors than pushers!)

What I do is
1. Hold the plane in right hand (I'm right handed) this is AFTER the pre-flight
2. hold the transmitter in the left.
3. Use mouth (or left thumb) to bring throttle to about 75% (personally I find the 2205s get a little torquey at full throttle, your results may vary and this is probably a personal thing.)
4. Chuck that sucker into the wind with a slightly up attitude (30% above the horizon maybe...)
5. Quickly get that right hand on the controls as you usually need a touch of back pressure.
6. enjoy...
7. crash! :LOL:

You can use that battery checker and just strap it on with a rubber band and listen for the beep or set a timer.

We "might get a break in weather (read mid 40s!) Thursday or Friday. I'll either maiden the Storch OR might maiden the Night Radian and F4 as my radio came yesterday!! (insert snoopy happy dance here.)

You got a F-4??? :eek::cool: SWEET!!! One of my favorite Jets growing up. Dad always called it a "Mach 2, heavily Armed BUS! That needed all those funny angles, to make up for Aerodynamic Deficiencies."
I still always thought it looked COOL!! I built 5 plastic Models of it, from 1:144th Scale to 1:48th (which was HUGE for a young kid).
Can't wait to see her Fly! :)

I plan on using that Battery Checker. That's indispensable in the age of Lipos!! Gonna try to get some more. They're cheap on EvilBay.

All this talk about hand launching reminds me, I don't have a Lanyard!!! :confused::cautious: I think I'll NEED one.
I'll try your "7 Step Plan", and hope to stay away from step 7!! :p

d8veh

Elite member
I still want Landing Gear! I'd stick two of those Legacy sized Wheels to the sides of the Mini Speedster I just finished, pop them straight in with nails, to the sides of the Fuse!!! :p

But....... It might be too heavy to fly!
I think I'd save these fancy ideas until you've figured out how to land on anything other than the nose.:ROFLMAO:

PoorManRC

Master member
I think I'd save these fancy ideas until you've figured out how to land on anything other than the nose.:ROFLMAO:

That WAS a joke....
It's not going down as catastrophic as you're SURE it's going to be. And that's still not saying that I'll never Crash, because I will.

PoorManRC

Master member
If you can make it over to the other side of town to meet up with @mrjdstewart for maiden flight I'm sure he'd be able to help you with hand launch support

Already talked to him. He's generously offered to help me with both getting up - and getting back down! I can't wait to meet up with him, and Stephan, that's going to be great!!
Unimaginably, the cost of fuel for a 30-35 mile round trip across Town, is too much for me right now......

I'm really trying not to bring out just how pathetic things are over here....
But I don't want anyone thinking that I'm just blowing off good suggestions either. I appreciate the help and support I've been given so far!

d8veh

Elite member
It's not going down as catastrophic as you're SURE it's going to be. And that's still not saying that I'll never Crash, because I will.
I'm not sure of anything, except that I won't be around at some point in the future. For everything else, I use probability.

I've been doing a bit of maths using Poisson Distribution theory. Read about it here:
http://www.probabilityformula.org/Poisson-distribution.html#
Once you've digested all that, you can feed in the numbers to calculate your probability of success. From all the data on this forum we can take it that μ, the average of the number of successes that are within your region, is zero. By region, it means the similar instances to yours. Zero squared is zero, and zero times any number is zero. Therefore the probability of your success is also zero. Don't blame me. Blame the maths. I wish you luck, anyway.

I'm just about to buy my lottery ticket. somebody has to win. That's why I keep buying them. I hope it's going to be me. What do you think?

PS. If you take seriously anything I write, there must be something wrong with you.

PPS. If you get help from an experienced pilot, your probability of success gets closer to a certainty. Success is satisfying, but it might not be as much fun.

Last edited:

kilroy07

Legendary member
You got a F-4??? :eek::cool:SWEET!!! One of my favorite Jets growing up.
Sorry, F4F... :oops:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/f4f-wildcat-10m-bnf-basic-w-as3x-and-ss-pkz1950

My best friend picked it for me earlier this year for my birthday. It's been sitting in a bedroom closet ever since... waiting on a Spektrum radio.
I'm dying to try the Radian, I saw them at FF and it was just too cool. That'll take care of half my hanger queens... The Mustang's will have to wait till my skills improve... (The Eleven hobbies P-51 was actually the FIRST plane I bought!!) :ROFLMAO:

That said Ben @Mid7night has plans for an F-4!
I have the CAD files ready for the laser (one reason I have so many EDFs laying around (and or course, the Blackbird!)) ;)
I've always loved the look of them in Vietnam era Air force colors! (Yes, shark teeth included) so that'll probably how I'll finish it.
(That's a ways down my build list however...)