The Controversial Storch Build! (placeholder for now)

PoorManRC

Master member
Sorry, F4F... :oops:
https://www.horizonhobby.com/f4f-wildcat-10m-bnf-basic-w-as3x-and-ss-pkz1950

That said Ben @Mid7night has plans for an F-4!
I have the CAD files ready for the laser (one reason I have so many EDFs laying around (and or course, the Blackbird!)) ;)
I've always loved the look of them in Vietnam era Air force colors! (Yes, shark teeth included) so that'll probably how I'll finish it.
(That's a ways down my build list however...)

Nothing wrong with a Wildcat!!! Does it have the crazy origami Landing Gear Retracts?? I built that Model too. The Gear was my favorite part, next to the folding Wings!

I saw the F-4 Phantom II.... It's ON my list!!! Gonna take quite a while, but I'm building it! Either Vietnam Era "Wild Weasel" (with Shark Teeth!), or if I'm feeling creative..... Thunderbirds!!

STILL looking forward to seeing the SR-71!!! :giggle::)

PoorManRC

Master member
I'm not sure of anything, except that I won't be around at some point in the future. For everything else, I use probability.

I've been doing a bit of maths using Poisson Distribution theory. Read about it here:
http://www.probabilityformula.org/Poisson-distribution.html#
Once you've digested all that, you can feed in the numbers to calculate your probability of success. From all the data on this forum we can take it that μ, the average of the number of successes that are within your region, is zero. By region, it means the similar instances to yours. Zero squared is zero, and zero times any number is zero. Therefore the probability of your success is also zero. Don't blame me. Blame the maths. I wish you luck, anyway.

I'm just about to buy my lottery ticket. somebody has to win. That's why I keep buying them. I hope it's going to be me. What do you think?

PS. If you take seriously anything I write, there must be something wrong with you.

PPS. If you get help from an experienced pilot, your probability of success gets closer to a certainty. Success is satisfying, but it might not be as much fun.

I'm still not sure who's kidding or not.....
Math was the only thing keeping me from being an Aeronautical Engineer, like my Dad. So the closest I got was Avionics Systems. I got to FIX Jets..... Occasionally, they let me take one or two up

That reminds me, the Butt Ugly A-10 Warthog, was a dream to fly!
I wonder if anyone's made a Warthog with DTFB?

d8veh

Elite member
I've always heard that the lottery was a tax on those bad at math!
:LOL:
That's true, but not all that buy the tickets are bad at math. I only buy tickets when there's a multiple rollover. That makes the expected outcome greater than one, so it's a bet tilted in my favour.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Math was the only thing keeping me from being an Aeronautical Engineer
ME TOO!!
My "plan" (which God apparently Laughed at) was to go to Parks college in St. Louis and work for McDonald Douglas on the Eagle...
(Might not have been a bad thing things didn't work out as I planned as years later I worked with a guy working on getting his Bridge license because he was laid off from McD.)

I wonder if anyone's made a Warthog with DTFB?
Um, your kidding, right?

PoorManRC

Master member
....... I may have just wasted a Dollar, that I couldn't afford to.

In my impatience, I went to Ace Hardware, on a Tip there was Cheap Music Wire. There was but....
They were out of everything but .030 and .092.
So, I thought the .030 would work, at least for the Minis. I think it's entirely too small!! :mad::rolleyes::(:confused:

Oh well, I guess I can find SOME use for it.

PoorManRC

Master member
ME TOO!!
My "plan" (which God apparently Laughed at) was to go to Parks college in St. Louis and work for McDonald Douglas on the Eagle...
(Might not have been a bad thing things didn't work out as I planned as years later I worked with a guy working on getting his Bridge license because he was laid off from McD.)

Um, your kidding, right?

Forgot about THAT one!! That thing's MASSIVE. I love it!! :love::cool:

Hey, helping to build the Eagle, is not such a consolation prize. That's pretty cool. :cool:
We had heard that the DC-10 sucked the Company dry.... That, and some overreaching Space Projects. Any truth to that?

I had wanted to build Bridges too.... Same thing - Math!!!
This was exasperated by a Father who could do Algebraic Equations IN HIS HEAD!!!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Definitely some GOOD ideas! I guess the .030 COULD work... I REALLY want to get at least .039 (1mm) before I start on the big ones.
And except for 3 of them, there was a WHOLE LOT of people I've never heard of....
Where'd they all go?

Yeah, people come and go as life gets busy, or they get distracted, or sadly sometimes they get frustrated and rage quit the hobby :(

We welcome them back with charged batteries and lots of crash stories when they return though :D

PoorManRC

Master member
I used 0.8mm wire on my last four planes. 0.8mm is 0.0314"

Hey, all I ask of it, is to Work.

..... Say? Has anyone else ever have a Thread go to 7 PAGES without actually building a damn thing??? :eek::oops:
I feel like I should start Tap Dancing or something!! :p

I do have ONE that's about 90% Built..... I'm close!

Gazoo

Hey, all I ask of it, is to Work.

..... Say? Has anyone else ever have a Thread go to 7 PAGES without actually building a damn thing??? :eek::oops:
I feel like I should start Tap Dancing or something!! :p

I do have ONE that's about 90% Built..... I'm close!
If you can, please share some pictures. Sometimes others can point out some issues that you didn't see at first. Besides, I'm curious to see what you have so far.

PoorManRC

Master member
If you can, please share some pictures. Sometimes others can point out some issues that you didn't see at first. Besides, I'm curious to see what you have so far.

I promise, as SOON as I can. Pictures aren't easy either.... I've got to borrow a neighbor's phone. I can take them with my Tablet, but they'd be so dark and fuzzy, it wouldn't help anyone. :confused:

I've almost finished the Sportster (?? I get the 2 mixed up), that you gave me the cut kit to (Thank You again!!). I have plans for it, that I can't WAIT to share.
I will get pictures as soon as I can!

I'm also working on a Tiny Trainer, where I learned that my cutting skills need a LOT of work!! :eek: I'm not giving up on that either. It's my new goal to make it fly well - but also LOOK much better than I started!!

I know you guys are used to banging these out in a few hours.... Please be patient with me. There's a Ton on my shoulders right now.

PoorManRC

Master member
Guys, I just learned what may be old Hat to you guys....

THEN I saw, as part of the FT Swallow Video.....
USING A CREDIT CARD OR GIFT CARD FOR CUTTING OUT THE TRENCHES, AND OTHER CUTS THAT ONLY GOES THROUGH ONE SHEET OF PAPER!!!!

I was making a mess out of all my score cuts!!! My Ape-Fingered broken Digits either poked holes in the bottom Paper, or in some cases, cut it OFF!

I tried an old Credit Card, and on a flat surface, cut right through the Foam - without harming the paper in the least. Now this is something I'm passing on to the other N00B's!!!!

I got a little time in this evening, and accomplished MORE Tonight, than I have in the past WEEK. :eek:

kilroy07

Legendary member
I took a spare xacto handle, installed a new #11 blade, took a grinding wheel on the tip to round it off, then polished it using a buffing wheel (dremel).
The end is as smooth as glass and the blade is still nice and sharp.
The colors of my handles are different, so I have a cutting knife and a scoring knife.

But if the cc works GREAT!

I'll probably maiden the storch tomorrow... maybe today, I'm still on the fence (the wildcat is sitting here next to my desk demanding attention.) I've minwaxed it, but I wanted to get the primer coat on it first (just to be sure...)