The Controversial Storch Build! (placeholder for now)

PoorManRC

Master member
I took a spare xacto handle, installed a new #11 blade, took a grinding wheel on the tip to round it off, then polished it using a buffing wheel (dremel).
The end is as smooth as glass and the blade is still nice and sharp.
The colors of my handles are different, so I have a cutting knife and a scoring knife.

But if the cc works GREAT!

I'll probably maiden the storch tomorrow... maybe today, I'm still on the fence (the wildcat is sitting here next to my desk demanding attention.) I've minwaxed it, but I wanted to get the primer coat on it first (just to be sure...)

My Good Friend, you've beaten me fair and square in this little competition...
But, I probably shouldn't have committed to a speed Build Off. Facing facts - I'm GREEN!!! I've got specific plans for her, that HAS to have time invested. I DON'T want to screw it up!! ;)

I have NO experience in building these Planes (evidenced by how BADLY I cut up the TT!!!). It's SO Ugly, I've had to redraw and re Cut almost Half of it! :mad::mad::confused:
The C.C. idea saved my ass!! I had taken an old Blade, and scrubbed the tip on the Concrete Floor, longer than Josh did. I STILL cut through the bottom paper - BADLY.
The old Credit Card barely dented the paper!

I hope you get Flying soon. In looking forward to it! I'd love to see how your Storch Flies.... And I'm sure we BOTH want to see how the Wildcat Flies!! (y)(y)
....... I THINK I can get some pictures today....

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Apparently, that keeps you low and slow

Slow is good. Low? Not so much. That was probably my biggest noob mistake, trying to fly low because I was afraid to let it get too high. But as the FT folks and others have said, best to start flying 3 mistakes high - that is, high enough so that when you make a mistake you have time to recover and still make two more mistakes and recover. So don't be afraid to put her up high.

DamoRC

PoorManRC

Master member
Slow is good. Low? Not so much. That was probably my biggest noob mistake, trying to fly low because I was afraid to let it get too high. But as the FT folks and others have said, best to start flying 3 mistakes high - that is, high enough so that when you make a mistake you have time to recover and still make two more mistakes and recover. So don't be afraid to put her up high.

DamoRC

Sorry..... Air Force talk. I've committed the "3 mistakes high" Rule to Memory!!
I am happy to learn that I can go slow enough so the Airplane doesn't get ahead of me. At least while I'm learning.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
When cutting FB by hand I actually use 3 separate cutting strokes. First is just enough the cut the paper and is guided by a straight edge where possible, The second cut is also straight edge guided but extra attention is paid to ensure that the blade is held to give a 90 degree cut through the foam only. The final cut is for the bottom layer of paper.

Whilst it seems a little tedious to some the cuts are quite quick and accurately done. Due to the light downwards pressure on the blade you can get a feel for what you are cutting and you can feel when the blade is in contact with the bottom paper without cutting it.

It works for me and it has stopped the ripping of the foam edges completely, (except when trying to use a blunt blade of course).

On the fold score lines I use the square end of a BBQ skewer Against a straight to push through the top layer of cut paper and compress the foam underneath. Again I find it works quite accurately and quickly.

I am sure others have their methods and some may be better but my method works well and accurately enough to make FB aircraft and sell them retail!

Have fun!

kilroy07

Legendary member
My Good Friend, you've beaten me fair and square in this little competition...
Oh no, you aren't getting off that easy!! :mad:;)

Besides, I'm NOT done with her by any stretch of the imagination..... In fact... I "was" going to maiden today, but I had not added control horns yet! :ROFLMAO: So... its going to be tomorrow "maybe" weather is iffy...)

Besides, I need to build another one of these;
IMG_7900[1].JPG
Not really, the snow is all melted now... ;)

So I'm not considering her done till she's all done up in SJ-LL colors.
I told you you had a week to catch up... (or two...)

Get your TT up or the other one, what was it again (a sportster?)... anyway, sounds like you have some AMAZING guys locally to help you get into the air. I suggest you use them. 'Cause if you haven't even maidened by the time I have my storch all finished and painted...:mad::mad:

You are DEFINITELY buying a round for @buzzbomb and I!

d8veh

Elite member
When I do the cuts that don't go through the bottom layer, I only cut about half to two thirds of the way through, then I bend the panel and the rest of the foam breaks cleanly to the paper.

PoorManRC

Master member
When cutting FB by hand I actually use 3 separate cutting strokes. First is just enough the cut the paper and is guided by a straight edge where possible, The second cut is also straight edge guided but extra attention is paid to ensure that the blade is held to give a 90 degree cut through the foam only. The final cut is for the bottom layer of paper.

Whilst it seems a little tedious to some the cuts are quite quick and accurately done. Due to the light downwards pressure on the blade you can get a feel for what you are cutting and you can feel when the blade is in contact with the bottom paper without cutting it.

It works for me and it has stopped the ripping of the foam edges completely, (except when trying to use a blunt blade of course).

On the fold score lines I use the square end of a BBQ skewer Against a straight to push through the top layer of cut paper and compress the foam underneath. Again I find it works quite accurately and quickly.

I am sure others have their methods and some may be better but my method works well and accurately enough to make FB aircraft and sell them retail!

Have fun!

I've got a bunch of nerve damage..... Not immobilized, but not perfect Control over cuts not being deep enough... :eek:
The Credit Card is working so well, I want to stay with it, at least for awhile!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I've got a bunch of nerve damage..... Not immobilized, but not perfect Control over cuts not being deep enough... :eek:
The Credit Card is working so well, I want to stay with it, at least for awhile!
We should all find what works for us and stick to it!

Have fun!

PoorManRC

Master member
Oh no, you aren't getting off that easy!! :mad:;)

Besides, I'm NOT done with her by any stretch of the imagination..... In fact... I "was" going to maiden today, but I had not added control horns yet! :ROFLMAO: So... its going to be tomorrow "maybe" weather is iffy...)

Besides, I need to build another one of these;
View attachment 119414
Not really, the snow is all melted now... ;)

So I'm not considering her done till she's all done up in SJ-LL colors.
I told you you had a week to catch up... (or two...)

Get your TT up or the other one, what was it again (a sportster?)... anyway, sounds like you have some AMAZING guys locally to help you get into the air. I suggest you use them. 'Cause if you haven't even maidened by the time I have my storch all finished and painted...:mad::mad:

You are DEFINITELY buying a round for @buzzbomb and I!

I'd buy you guys a round anyway!!

I confuse the other Plane too!! :p I'm pretty sure it's a Mini Scout. I'm not getting much of a chance to work, but I'm trying to squeeze in as much as I can.

GOOD LOOKING Skis!! I hope you get a chance to use them.
Now, I just got a notification that you maidened the Wildcat. I'm going there next!!

Gazoo

The plane that was finished except for the power pod is a mini-speedster. The one that was cut and needs assembly is a mini-scout. When the speedster is beyond repair, you should transfer the servos and landing gear to the scout.

I hope they were not damaged in shipping.

PoorManRC

Master member
The plane that was finished except for the power pod is a mini-speedster. The one that was cut and needs assembly is a mini-scout. When the speedster is beyond repair, you should transfer the servos and landing gear to the scout.

I hope they were not damaged in shipping.

The shipping was surprisingly safe! I'm so sorry.... I really thought I told you they arrived. :( I'm just using the Speedster right now as a model, to build the Scout with.....
I DID make a bottom panel for the Mini Speedster, just because I didn't want to leave it open.

I don't know if I'm just over excited, or feel very rushed - but I glued the Wing Camber UPSIDE DOWN!!!! :eek: Cut sides on TOP!!
I taped both sides of the Wing bend, hoping it will be OK.

Using a Credit Card for breaking Score Lines ONLY, has been a Godsend!!!! I actually LOOK like I know what I'm doing. :cool::p Thank You again for your Generosity!!!! :cool::) I really like the Red Poster Board. I'm going to have to get more...

PoorManRC

Master member
Any updates?

Thanks for asking. Things have been really rough.... and I not sure when it will get better.
MY problem. I lost quite a few friends, because my situation made me way too needy......

Most of the pieces are in place, as soon as I'm able to, I will post progress ASAP!
Thanks for sticking around. I hope my work can justify the wait! There's so many good people here. I can't wait to show everyone what I can do with all the help i received over the past few months.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks for asking. Things have been really rough.... and I not sure when it will get better.
MY problem. I lost quite a few friends, because my situation made me way too needy......

Most of the pieces are in place, as soon as I'm able to, I will post progress ASAP!
Thanks for sticking around. I hope my work can justify the wait! There's so many good people here. I can't wait to show everyone what I can do with all the help i received over the past few months.

Family first, hobby second, and Safety Third according to Mike Rowe :D

Good to hear you're still here with us, and still holding to hope and fun with the hobby!

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Hang in there! Hobby stuff can wait for real life matters to be sorted out. I'm there myself; but, I'm trying to use the hobby to help with real life when I need a break from reality...

PoorManRC

Master member
Hang in there! Hobby stuff can wait for real life matters to be sorted out. I'm there myself; but, I'm trying to use the hobby to help with real life when I need a break from reality...

Thank you so much!
I'm going to use your theory.... If a Hobby is helpful, 2 should be even better!!

I'm doing RC Aircraft and Crawling.... I've got a Crawler ready to use, and still working on 3 Aircraft.

The Storch is on hold, I need the Nose Gear parts, and some Basswood. I want this one to be GOOD.

My Tiny Trainer is close to the Maiden! I'm tweaking the Fuse some....
This is my experimental "toy". @mayan inspired me to!!

kilroy07

Legendary member
Been busy, so I apologize for the delay in posting an update.

Had my 1st maiden middle of December. Didn't go well. I rushed it and paid for it.
In my rush I forgot the sticks to attach the rubber bands for the wings! (Fortunately I had one (just one) in my range box.)
Wings were JUST barely held on...
IMG_7951.JPG
No video as it was getting dark and I forgot the gopro on the charger...
Had one bad spill (first time for flaps) and still pretty new to 4 channel flight.
Damage to wing...
IMG_7957.JPG
So I printed out a few of those supports you requested. Worked pretty good.
IMG_7961.JPG
Also had to rebuild the motor mount (motor pulled free and attacked the battery after the first "Landing"....)
IMG_7960.JPG IMG_7962.JPG
I used Carbon Fiber and those plywood disks (I believe I included a few in the kit I sent you) to repair the wing mounting point.
I used the gorilla glue and masking tape trick to fix the damage from the crash.
IMG_7959.JPG IMG_7956.JPG
These turned out really nice!

Later in December I took her back out. This time took the wife and got video.
Struggled a bit early on with 4 channels.

But by the end of the day (and three batteries later) I was feeling much more comfortable with it.
After I nosed the Kraken in (same day) I took the SQ12 and strapped it to the nose.

So now she's just waiting for paint/decals. Might get her wrapped up by the end of the month, but time will tell.

Winter is upon us here in Illinois, so I might get to use those skis after all!

So, as the challenge was to have your maiden by the time I had mine "done" (iow, painted and decaled) you still have time to catch up!
;)

Last edited:

PoorManRC

Master member
@kilroy07 Tim, that was PHENOMENAL!!! (y)(y):cool:
I am so glad to hear from you again!! It's going to take a small Miracle to get my Storch ready to Maiden. I'm trying....
Those Landings were even better than the Flights!!! So impressed. It also emphasizes my need for Tricycle Landing Gear. I absolutely can't afford a nose over Landing Crash.

I got the Raise in Disability Pay we've been desperately waiting for. It's covering the Bills, barely. So that's a Blessing. But it leaves nothing to go for Aircraft construction. Thanks to one person here, I can't Dare ask anyone here for any Help, especially for anything I don't NEED.

I do hope to have her flying soon.... I may have my Modified TT ready to go soon!