The Cost of Mini Quads!!!!!!

Are you struggling to pay for your miniquad?

• Total voters

narcolepticltd

I unbuild stuff regularly
Also does anyone know if Carbon Fibre props are worth it, or are they simply more expensive HQs?

waste of money on a mini. Not only are they a lot more expensive, they're also exceptionally brittle. Not to mention crashing with CF props has a higher likelihood of damaging your motor just due to the rigidity of the prop transferring all the energy of a crash into the bell housing instead of absorbing a lot of the shock like a nylon/glass HQ would do for you.

Robbie

waste of money on a mini. Not only are they a lot more expensive, they're also exceptionally brittle. Not to mention crashing with CF props has a higher likelihood of damaging your motor just due to the rigidity of the prop transferring all the energy of a crash into the bell housing instead of absorbing a lot of the shock like a nylon/glass HQ would do for you.

Yeh i thought as much, I think i am gonna get some HQs for when i am going hard and then some surveilzone props for Dannying around.

daxian

Elite member
hi all ...
new to the forums ....would like to get my hands on some of these indestructable props for my Q450 lol...gone through six sets just getting to hover !!!!
costing a fortune in props and postage ....do they do any other sizes ???? ,need 1045 sf !!!!

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
But, the radio, jhitesma. The radio. Maybe they want you to try converting your Transmitter and receiver to SMA/RPSMA, and throw on the circ-pol?

Rather, is that something you think you would find value in doing?

I have looked at it with my 9x, but am looking, in the long term, to go ahead and upgrade to the FrySky, which, in kit, includes a 'true diversity' setup... so I wouldn't want to do that? (I don't know sh*t.)

I don't have time to go into the justification of what I'm going to say - but - While I love circular polarization I don't see myself needing it for control on 2.4ghz the way I fly. The multipathing isn't as bad (which isn't to say it's not a issue) but the control protocols and the spread spectrum and/or channel hoping setups all handle interference far better than single frequency high bandwidth 5.8ghz video. A video link is a lot of data coming down fast on one channel like a freight train, if you don't get everything right...bad things happen quick. Thankfully video links recover better than trains. 2.4ghz control is more like a father and child playing catch and dad has a whole bucket of balls - lots of quick small bits of data aimed at slightly varying points but with both ends coordinating to line those points up. And if one or two get lost it doesn't derail the game just that toss.

So for 2.4ghz control linear antennas are easier and cheaper to make plus they're easier to mount so CP just isn't worth the hassle.

Now that I have have them though....they are giving me an idea.

I still want to eventually run some of the canyons in the desert out here. But my 200mw 5.8 TX's don't have a chance. Even with me up above my tests result in lost video way too quick when I get in a canyon. Which I fully expected. I've been planning on going 1.2/1.3ghz for video...but now I'm thinking about giving 2.4 a try. Go back to my openLRS and put the video on 2.4. This isn't a practical setup for most people, but for me out in the middle of the desert 2.4 for video may be viable and more affordable than 1.3ghz with antennas more suited to a 250.

Who knows, maybe by the time I decide my flying skills are ready for that challenge the TauOSD will be ready and I can have it superimpose womp rats I can shoot at ;)

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Thanks man,

I will look at those props, also am going to try some of those Surveilzone 6040 props because they work out at something like 30p a prop which is ridiculously low, I am just unsure about possible inbalance or vibration issue with them, because all of the videos i have seen using them, the quads have horrific vibrations, and I am not sure if that is just the sort of people who use them don't both tuning PIDs properly or if its the fault of the props. If you do try out the props can you get back to me, because I am genuinely curious as to where the issue lies.

I did get the one set of surveilzone props. But they're all one color so I don't want to fly them LOS and haven't had a chance to go fly FPV in a long time. I've been working long days and weekends and the little time off I've had hasn't coincided with my wifes so I've been on pseudo single dad mode which is exhausting as well.

The props look undersized to me. Part of that is I only got 5" and I usually fly 6". (I ordered both 5" and 6" to compare) but they even seem small for 5". The blades just have a much shorter chord than I'm used to. I'll try and at least check their balance and put them on the 250FPV - may even give them a quick test in the front yard. But I don't want to really push them and risk breaking them until I can try them FPV. And flying all one color prop LOS in the front yard I'll just be doing some nose out hovering and a slow simple pattern if anything.

I'm guessing the reshipment is coming ultra cheap shipping, no no clue when or if it will show up. No tracking number. Guess the extra couple of bucks I paid for faster shipping and tracking when I placed the order didn't apply to the reshipment :(

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Just gave the surveilzone props a bit of attention. Put them on the Du-Bro balancer and 3 out of 4 were dead on, I couldn't make them any better. The last one was no worse than some HQ's I've come across and close enough I'd probably only make it worse trying to balance it any better. So I'd say this one set is on a part with HQ for balance out of the bag. Impressive.

One thing I hadn't noticed previously, there are no shaft adapters included. At least not with my order. Not a big deal for me since the props fit the 5mm shafts of the emax 1806 motors on my FPV250 without any adapters. But if you're running smaller shafts hopefully you have adapters on hand from other props.

Haven't had them in the air yet. The FPV250 looks so odd to me with 5" props.

Robbie

I did get the one set of surveilzone props. But they're all one color so I don't want to fly them LOS and haven't had a chance to go fly FPV in a long time. I've been working long days and weekends and the little time off I've had hasn't coincided with my wifes so I've been on pseudo single dad mode which is exhausting as well.

The props look undersized to me. Part of that is I only got 5" and I usually fly 6". (I ordered both 5" and 6" to compare) but they even seem small for 5". The blades just have a much shorter chord than I'm used to. I'll try and at least check their balance and put them on the 250FPV - may even give them a quick test in the front yard. But I don't want to really push them and risk breaking them until I can try them FPV. And flying all one color prop LOS in the front yard I'll just be doing some nose out hovering and a slow simple pattern if anything.

I'm guessing the reshipment is coming ultra cheap shipping, no no clue when or if it will show up. No tracking number. Guess the extra couple of bucks I paid for faster shipping and tracking when I placed the order didn't apply to the reshipment :(

When you do fly them, post some feed back because I am very interested to see what the 6040s are like. I don't think any expereicned pilots have used them or reviewed them yet so it will be nice to hear and expert opinion on them.

Also Different coloured props for LOS? If your poor, Lazy and irresponsible like me you go all black and pray you can keep orientation. In fairness it is very good at training you to memorise the previous maneouvers you have made. TBH I probably should start doing it but, in all honesty I rarely get LOS crashes now because i don't do anything too crazy and I don't have many issues with orientation.

Ocean

Also Different coloured props for LOS? If your poor, Lazy and irresponsible like me you go all black and pray you can keep orientation. In fairness it is very good at training you to memorise the previous maneouvers you have made. TBH I probably should start doing it but, in all honesty I rarely get LOS crashes now because i don't do anything too crazy and I don't have many issues with orientation.

*cough* Tries 3 flips at weekend and smashes quad with such momentum I can feel the ground shudder 10m away *cough*

*Disclaimer, the only pilot error crash of the day.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
When you do fly them, post some feed back because I am very interested to see what the 6040s are like. I don't think any expereicned pilots have used them or reviewed them yet so it will be nice to hear and expert opinion on them.

Will have to wait for the replacement shipment for my opinion on the 6045's. The one set they did send me were 5045's so that's all I have to try for now :(

daxian

Elite member
re: other sizes....

hi all ...
new to the forums ....would like to get my hands on some of these indestructable props for my Q450 lol...gone through six sets just getting to hover !!!!
costing a fortune in props and postage ....do they do any other sizes ???? ,need 1045 sf !!!!

i have been in touch with surveilzone ,good news for me, they are working on other prop sizes !!!!
can only be a good thing ...for us non mini guys !!!

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Still waiting on my replacements from surveilzone. Did give the one set they did send a short test this weekend. They help up well even when I flew through some weeds that were taller than me with stalks almost 1/2" thick :D

Craterboy

I have been using the surveillzone 5040 props for about a month and can confirm they are darn near indestructible. I've been flying low level high speed and was breaking 8 to10 gemfans a day. Haven't been able to break one of these news ones yet despite many high speed crashes that woud've wiped all four gemfans. They're flexible enough to bend rather than breaking a motor shaft, but it takes a real wallop to put a bend in one, and you can bend 'em right back. I haven't noticed any loss in performance or balance problems. I bought a bunch of spares but I don't know if I'll ever need them. Anybody want a deal on a big bag of unused gemfan 5030s? I'm not going back.

lynxaz

I have been using the surveillzone 5040 props for about a month and can confirm they are darn near indestructible. I've been flying low level high speed and was breaking 8 to10 gemfans a day. Haven't been able to break one of these news ones yet despite many high speed crashes that woud've wiped all four gemfans. They're flexible enough to bend rather than breaking a motor shaft, but it takes a real wallop to put a bend in one, and you can bend 'em right back. I haven't noticed any loss in performance or balance problems. I bought a bunch of spares but I don't know if I'll ever need them. Anybody want a deal on a big bag of unused gemfan 5030s? I'm not going back.

How much does your quad weigh and what tupe of batteries are you using? I am curious also about your flight times. I am trying to figure out what i am doing wrong on my quad.

Craterboy

I've got two of these with 1806 motors, 1.5 amp-hr 3S 40C LiPo and I get about 5 minutes with these props. Weight ready to fly is about one pound. I'll have to weigh one tonight to get a more accurate number.

lynxaz

Nighthawk 250 frame
RcTimer 2204-2300kv motors
6045 props(in the mail)
1300mah 3s and 1800mah 4s
Rctimer Mini ESC16A OPTO SimonK Firmware
Teleporter V3 setup.

533 grams if i recall

Robbie

Nighthawk 250 frame
RcTimer 2204-2300kv motors
6045 props(in the mail)
1300mah 3s and 1800mah 4s
Rctimer Mini ESC16A OPTO SimonK Firmware
Teleporter V3 setup.

533 grams if i recall

Nice build, heads up the Nighthawk is a actually a 280 frame :). And watch out the arms I have snapped 3 from proximity racing.

Also watch out for those ESCs on 4s i am currently testing some new RC timer 2208 2600kv motors and on 4S i reckon i am pulling 36+A so make sure you don't overload them.

my build comes to 700g on 4S because i run a go pro and fpv stuff.

Robbie

Robbie

UPDATE: had a horrific days flying:

Was doing some normal LOS nothing crazy, then something on my PDB HK Pilot Power VI Module shorted (i am guessing one of the becs) and shorted all 4 of my ESCs!!!!! and my NAZE.

Guys this is too much i am seriously considering leaving the hobby.

The ensuring crash also destroyed my frame.

This means that the my repair list is:

• New Frame
  • x4 New 30A oneshot ESCs
  • New Naze 32

I would be greatful for any suggestions of new parts.

Thank You,
Rob

jipp

oh man, rob. what a bad day in deed.. stay positive to start.

i can recommend the rotogeeks ESC.. they have beheli oneshot etc.. and they can take a beating.

frame, what size you looking at?
this updated ZMR frame looks nice 2mm top/bottom plates and 4mm arms.
http://www.fpvmodel.com/zmr250-v2-2...r-frame-kit-with-pcb-board-and-led_g1005.html
i like my zmr. but not sure what size you may want.. so just recommending this out of the blue. heh.
wow sold out in 2 days.. should of read closer. my bad.
chris.

Last edited: