The Eagle has landed, or is it flying?

hotwax

I'm not quite sure why you think thats less parts, this is a kfm3 wing and eliminates the need to score, fold, bend the wing. I did toy with the idea of ailerons but concluded the wing surface of this bird would pretty much negate the use of ailerons other than turning, in which the rudder has more than enough authority to do.

Hi jamboree1,

the mods are just to fit my european sized boards which are shorter than yours. They are 5 mm thick but have glossy paper on. I will paint with water based acrylic paint and the closed nose gives a better canvas.

I want to take it to the slope too where I need a rugged nosed wing and a lot of control while landing.

Please remember, KF-airfoils do not need boxy nosecones, they like aerodynamic shapes more. I shaped it as on your wing, just rounded the edges.

Bytheway, you did an excellent plane.

jamboree1

Degriz, thanks for the tip on the covering. As far a floating goes while it might not float as slow as some of the old fogey type planes it doesn't get pushed around nearly as much by the wind as those planes do. This bird has far more rudder authority than old fogey or old speedster, better tracking and much less tendencies of yaw than a lot of other slow flyer types i have flown. More control is better than major lift for a beginner plane. I have yet to get a tip stall from this yet. If you watch the end of my maiden flight vid you can see how windy it was, about 10 mph, by looking at my hair or the shirt on my back.

degriz

Rodents will run!! when she takes to the skies.

The bottom is still white, I need some type of contrast so I don't lose perspective when flying. I was thinking of doing the colored pencil or paint it a lite brown/tan.

20150414_134331_HDR-crop.jpg

Attachments

• 20150414_134331_HDR-crop.jpg
    20150414_134331_HDR-crop.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20

jamboree1

I did try to get this bird to tip stall, it just cant be done, tried it low throttle, high throttle, no throttle, it just circles

degriz

Thanks so much for posting the info on this, I really enjoyed the build.

Looking forward to getting it airborne, Ill post my results when I do.

degriz

THIS BIRD FLIES GREAT!!!! it looks amazing circling the fields.

I had to add a bit of nose weight, because I only have a 800 mah battery but it's everything Jamboree1 said it is!

go ahead and build one, see how much fun slow can be.

jamboree1

Degriz, i'm glad it went well, for a slow flyer I still haven't gotten bored with mine as it's so fun to watch. A perfect plane to relax on while waiting for the other batteries to charge.

jamboree1

Hi jamboree1,

the mods are just to fit my european sized boards which are shorter than yours. They are 5 mm thick but have glossy paper on. I will paint with water based acrylic paint and the closed nose gives a better canvas.

I want to take it to the slope too where I need a rugged nosed wing and a lot of control while landing.

Please remember, KF-airfoils do not need boxy nosecones, they like aerodynamic shapes more. I shaped it as on your wing, just rounded the edges.

Bytheway, you did an excellent plane.

how's your plane coming along?

hotwax

how's your plane coming along?

Hi jamboree1,

actually I maidend it today.

snap1.jpg

V-Tail is modified too.

snap3.jpg

No paint so far but looks great in the air.

snap2.jpg

It needs more downthrust. I made two flights with happy landings. Wind was blowing strong, the eagle could stand still in flight.

Now back to the workshop, more downthrust for the motor and a nice paintscheme (Strange Eagle?).

jamboree1

Hi jamboree1,

actually I maidend it today.

View attachment 45836

V-Tail is modified too.

View attachment 45838

No paint so far but looks great in the air.

View attachment 45837

It needs more downthrust. I made two flights with happy landings. Wind was blowing strong, the eagle could stand still in flight.

Now back to the workshop, more downthrust for the motor and a nice paintscheme (Strange Eagle?).

Glad to see it done, i am sure you will have a lot of fun times with it

LooseBruce

Building the Eagle take apart wing Idea???

Hi Flyers,
I really like the looks of this plane and I am building it now.
It is by far the biggest plane that I have.
I would like some ideas about making the wing removable.
We often travel in out motorhome to RC meets and it would help a lot to be able to remove this wing and have it separate into 2 or more wing pieces.
The double dihedral causes some problems with this. Especially since it would not fold easily but I think it is necessary.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Also, do you think I should start a new thread for this??:confused:
Thanks,
LooseBruce

jamboree1

Since i use popsicle sticks on the bottom of my wing where they join together for additional support, this lil mod isnt on the plans but in a picture i think, 4 or 5 of these could be used with a blind hole nut and a screw to put it together, I bent my popsicle sticks for the dihedral with steam and bending in the middle

LooseBruce

View attachment 45837

Now back to the workshop, more downthrust for the motor and a nice paintscheme (Strange Eagle?).[/QUOTE]

Hi,
Your Eagle looks fantastic. Nice pic of it landing.
You raised a question for me though.

How do you know you need more down thrust as opposed to a COG or elevator trim adjustment??

Thanks,
LooseBruce

LooseBruce

Since i use popsicle sticks on the bottom of my wing where they join together for additional support, this lil mod isnt on the plans but in a picture i think, 4 or 5 of these could be used with a blind hole nut and a screw to put it together, I bent my popsicle sticks for the dihedral with steam and bending in the middle

WOW, thank you very much for your lightning fast reply.
I will look into it. I like the idea of bending a wooden support.
LooseBruce

jamboree1

You know you need more down thrust when you give it, lets say anything more than half throttle it climbs upward at an unwamted rate, bad COG if it was tail heavy it would always thrust up, nose heavy it would keep pitching down.

hotwax

As jamboree1 said, if its gliding fine, but nosing up if you apply power, it needs more downthrust

LooseBruce

New Eagle Hatching Soon!!

Hi Guys,
Thank you very much for the info on down thrust. It will come in handy I am sure.
Here is a picture of the new Eagle soon to hatch.

IMG_2278.jpg

And here is a picture of my wife birthing the feathers. Ya gotta love that!!

IMG_2279.jpg

Been windy and rainy here the last couple of days so this is perfect timing for a hatching.
LooseBruce