The Eagle has landed, or is it flying?

dutchmonkey

So here is v2.0 of my eagle I made a undercambered wing. I will let you know how she flies.

Attachments

• 20150927_170417.jpg
    20150927_170417.jpg
    766 KB · Views: 10
  • 20150927_170513.jpg
    20150927_170513.jpg
    712.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20150927_170541.jpg
    20150927_170541.jpg
    685.8 KB · Views: 10

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
So here is v2.0 of my eagle I made a undercambered wing. I will let you know how she flies.

Is that a "standard" Flite Test style wing? Does it have a top plate and a bottom plate, double-beveled and fold over? Or, is it a single plate with an under camber similar to the Old Fogey?

I saw someone at Flite Fest this year who has an eagle with an airfoil wing and it flew really well.

dutchmonkey

Is that a "standard" Flite Test style wing? Does it have a top plate and a bottom plate, double-beveled and fold over? Or, is it a single plate with an under camber similar to the Old Fogey?

I saw someone at Flite Fest this year who has an eagle with an airfoil wing and it flew really well.

i saw this http://flitetest.com/articles/ramping-up-the-camber-the-ridge-runner and it inspired me to modify my wing. so its like a Standard flite test style wing bevel and fold just has an under-camber section of foam instead of it being flat. each side right now is 3 pieces of foam and has a double thick spar. if all goes well a couple of mods to the plan and i will share. just need to fix the fuse next to make it easier to build.

jamboree1

It looks like a single plate old fogey wing. That wing is good for low speed lift, however it's not good for cutting thru wind or medium and fast cruising. This is where the kfm3 wing design shines, very linear rate of lift and not much drag. Dutchmonkey's design would sure cut down on the tedious task of cutting all those feathers out. Sponz mentioned updating the plans to FT specs but i don't know if he has had time to do so. i'd also like to note that HotWax made a wing more similar to FT designs, however he doesnt use adams board ond uses a thicker and heavier foam board from where he is from and he said his flew awesome.

Last edited:

dutchmonkey

here is what the airfoil looks like i should have taken a photo before i finished the wing

Attachments

• eagle airfoil.JPG
    eagle airfoil.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 10

LooseBruce

Collapsible wing for Eagle

Hi Flyers,
I finally have a wing for the Eagle I can take apart.
This is what I initially tried to develop. Someone wisely suggested that I get the bird flying first so that is what I did.
I always felt a little underpowered with my Hextronic Blue Wonder motor so I recently put a GForce MR2212.
This is a 57 gram 900KV motor mounted in a FT power pod. It really livened up my Eagle.
However my wings came off and separated when pulling out of an inadvertent high speed dive. They were weak at the center because they had been cut originally for my hinge plan.

It was all for the best though and I found a new way to attach them. That is a BBQ skewer and popsicle sticks. They are glued to one wing. They slide into the opposite wing which has the piece of wood to strengthen it. By leaving the skewer longer than the wing chord it falls into a fore and aft slot which centers the wing on the fuse. Not pictured is a couple of other pieces of Popsicle stick I added to the top with pegs to help hold the wings together. The rubber bands used to mount the wing hold them down very well.

I have test flown the wing and it now has gobs of power and is very sturdy. It also breaks down easily for transport.
My only problem is that I eyeballed the dihedral and it is larger than it should be. The Eagle flies and responds well but with the excess dihedral it looks a little twitchy in the sky. Originally it looked very graceful like an Eagle with its long flat wingspread. Now it looks and flies more like a turkey buzzard which have a noticeable "v" as their wings rock back and forth. eagle0001.JPG

It is a fun plane to fly and handles the wind very well. I don't mind cutting all the winglets as I think the sculptured look is unique.

LooseBruce

jamboree1

Hey Bruce, good idea, that 55" wing can be awkward to tote around. I think it would be easy to get rid of some dihedral if you just sanded down the sticks a little bit.

LooseBruce

Hey Bruce, good idea, that 55" wing can be awkward to tote around. I think it would be easy to get rid of some dihedral if you just sanded down the sticks a little bit.

Thanks for noticing. No, I don't think sanding down the sticks would work. I think it would just make them fit loosely.
I should just beak them loose and reglue but I am not ready to do it yet. You gave me an idea though. Maybe I could cut some slots in the wood panel so the sticks could protrude a little (at least through the foam under the slots). That would make the wing flatten out I would think. It might even make the wing stronger.Gotta think about it more.
Thanks,
LooseBruce

dutchmonkey

got my eagle V2.2 done this one glides much better then the last one did should have flight report next weekend

Attachments

• 20160816_221654_resized.jpg
    20160816_221654_resized.jpg
    592 KB · Views: 0
  • 20160819_182055_resized.jpg
    20160819_182055_resized.jpg
    954.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20160819_182106_resized.jpg
    20160819_182106_resized.jpg
    774 KB · Views: 2

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I will consider adding this to my long "To Do" list but with the original KFM3 wing.

All of the versions look great and extremely interesting. I may need a little more speed and maneuverability that the original as it is getting into nesting season here and the MAGPIES attack anything that even gets close to their nesting territory.

When I say attack I mean ATTACK! so tail reinforcement is going to be a must have!

I will subscribe and look forward to other versions as they appear.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I am a little disappointed about this thread. Normally a scratch build comes from without a set of plans at least in the same material.

Whilst I am all for refining a design and adding alternate methods to arrive at a similar outcome.

I try where ever possible to acknowledge the source of any design if I know it. This thread is a effectively a re-post of a design posted on another thread.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?17616-The-Eagle-has-landed-or-is-it-flying/page14

I first read the thread in its early days and even downloaded the tiled set of plans which I have compared and posted herein for other readers of this post.

The first post was Started by Blackbeltrrf, 03-06-2014 03:17 PM

I applaud that FT might make one of their own designs for this site but place the credit where it truly belongs. This does not mean that Blackbeltrrf was the designer but his was the first post of the design I can find on Flite Test.

Those who have been following this thread might like to see how it was done 2 years ago.

:mad:

Attachments

• RC Eagle 56 inch.pdf
    78 KB · Views: 57

jamboree1

I thought i had included the original designer in the first page, turned out I didn't, I didn't mention where the original plans were from until about page 8, which was from the magazine RC Times, and now that link is invalid.

jamboree1

I'd also like to mention that on RCGroups there is at least 4 versions of this bird on there, take yer pick on the final design and material, electronics of your choice.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I do not doubt anything you have posted here. But I am "Old School".

A plane regardless that it built from a plan is not a scratch built plane!

To start from scratch is to start with nothing except an idea, from a plan does not cut it!

There are many scratch builders out there working away for no reward other than the satisfaction of acheiving something which is wholly their own making.

What makes this a "Scratch Builders" forum is beginning with a blank sheet.

This thread is in the wrong forum!!

What is the "CURRENT" definition of a scratch build: :confused:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
This thread is perfectly fine where it is, and if someone's reply is caught up in the semantics, it doesn't sound like the OP is the one with the problem.

I'm all for encouraging people to expand their horizons and build more free-form, but I'm seeing more discouraging than encouraging in the recent comments.