The Eagle has landed, or is it flying?

degriz

Eagle

I still have mine, it's a bit beat up but flew this morning for the first time in months. I might have to use Sponzs plans and rebuild a fuselage with some of the new foam board.

Yawnsky24

The Eagle flew!

Jamboree1, SPONZ,

Got in several flights this morning, sorry no video. First flight, CG was a bit far back but got it down and moved the battery forward bringing the CG forward about 3/8" which seemed to be pretty close. It was a bit windy/gusty so did not really get to try flaps but other than that it flew well, very floaty. Flies fine with rudder only but ailerons definitely made the wind less of an issue. All in all a fun "bird" and looks great in the air.

I'll try to get out next weekend with someone that can take some video to share.

Thanks again for the idea and the plans.

Jan

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Jamboree1, SPONZ,

Got in several flights this morning, sorry no video. First flight, CG was a bit far back but got it down and moved the battery forward bringing the CG forward about 3/8" which seemed to be pretty close. It was a bit windy/gusty so did not really get to try flaps but other than that it flew well, very floaty. Flies fine with rudder only but ailerons definitely made the wind less of an issue. All in all a fun "bird" and looks great in the air.

I'll try to get out next weekend with someone that can take some video to share.

Thanks again for the idea and the plans.

Jan

Very cool. Thanks for reporting back on the build and flying experience. I will need to go back and finalize the plans and post them. Is there anything that you can think of that would need to be changed at all with the plans?

Yawnsky24

Eagle Plans update

SPONZ,

Sorry for the delayed response. Here are a couple of things from the build that may or may not affect the plans depending on the builder:

• Need to cut back some foam to create space at the back of the wing where it meets the tail feathers. See Wing picture.
  • I mounted the vertical stabilizer about 1 1/8 inches below the horizontal stabilizer which required cutting a slot for the vertical stabilizer. This added some strngth to the stab/rudder and looked better to me. I did not note down the cuts as I made them on the fly using the "that looks about right" method.
  • I removed the paper from the inside of the bottom to allow for the contours without wrinkling. If you look at the nose. I also put the bottom below the sides at the nose. That required some trimming on the sides. No specific reason for doing so other than it kind of worked out with the reverse bend.

I'm not sure I would make a lot of changes to the plans as this was kind of a figure it out as you go project. The plans were a great starting point and left enough flexibility to make it your own.

I am attaching a few pictures to show what I did relative to the above comments. Wish I could offer more guidance, if I make another, I will definitely measure and note the changes as I go.

Thanks again, Jan 20170913_150451.jpg 20170913_150513.jpg 20170913_150524.jpg 20170913_150546.jpg

miraspen

Reviving an oldy lol! I found this plane and showed it to a friend that's more into quads. He like the really unique planes though. we wnet over to build it and when done, he just hung it lmao. So i went to build one or myself to fly. I used 3s2200 and a 2212 1300kv motor. I spun a 10x3.8 slow fly prop. This was my first vtail, and when i went to fly it i had the elevator part working right but not the rudders lol. Either way first flight went awesome! I flew it for 27 minutes and 13 of those were with one hand in my pocket. I fly mode 4 so throttle and ailerons are on the same stick. I had the motor mount glued in where it says, and it had a lot of down thrust. Yet when i give it alot of throttle it climbs. i didnt paint it to pretty, left the head and tail white and just painted the center section and wings brown. EVERYONE LOVED IT! and that flight time was ridiculous. Thanks-and GOOD JOB.

jamboree1

Reviving an oldy lol! I found this plane and showed it to a friend that's more into quads. He like the really unique planes though. we wnet over to build it and when done, he just hung it lmao. So i went to build one or myself to fly. I used 3s2200 and a 2212 1300kv motor. I spun a 10x3.8 slow fly prop. This was my first vtail, and when i went to fly it i had the elevator part working right but not the rudders lol. Either way first flight went awesome! I flew it for 27 minutes and 13 of those were with one hand in my pocket. I fly mode 4 so throttle and ailerons are on the same stick. I had the motor mount glued in where it says, and it had a lot of down thrust. Yet when i give it alot of throttle it climbs. i didnt paint it to pretty, left the head and tail white and just painted the center section and wings brown. EVERYONE LOVED IT! and that flight time was ridiculous. Thanks-and GOOD JOB.
It's a very relaxing plane to fly and can work with a lot of different power systems.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Has anyone created or shared any skins for Dan's FTF Eagle, or Werner's Strange Eagle?
I apologize if I've missed it somehow.
Thanks, in advance!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Has anyone created or shared any skins for Dan's FTF Eagle, or Werner's Strange Eagle?
I apologize if I've missed it somehow.
Thanks, in advance!

Not yet, that I know of. But, I have spoken to @Rasterize and he may be able to get one out when I finalize the plans. I have a big design project that I am finishing up right now, and I will be working to clean up and publish the Eagle plans after that.

jamboree1

built three versions ...one v-tail,one normal tail, and a mini v-tail ...had a minor issue with cg due to our heavy uk board ...but eventually got all three to fly ...heres a vid of the v-tail in flight ...
Nice work. The mini eagle looks to be a good flier.