The earliest form of RC flight - A kite!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I loved kites as a kid. Occasionally we'd have one to share, or I'd make one, but rarely got to fly them. As I got older, kites became a little... boring.

However, that kid-like part of me has been re-animated by a random visit to Australia's only Costco store. I noticed these wonderful 3D kites, including a Fokker Dr.1 and a F-35! Being a week out from our middle child's birthday (5 years old), who is more than a little obsessed with the Dr.1, I had to get one (for just $16!!!) for him.

As it happens, we've got some serious wind forecast for the next couple of days. I'll try and get a few pics up on here of the kite and a very excited little boy with it!

At last something to fly on a windy day!!!

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
I am also a great over of kites.....I have a 1.8m airfoil type of thing that can pull you off your feet and my missus has a stunt kite they are both great fun....but i cant get my kids interested.....bot if you could do kiting on the xbox maybe

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
HAHAHA, look at my MUSE themed kite :)

IMG_7897.jpg

It's cool how the wind carries the string :)

IMG_7905.jpg

I've got a parafoil type wich is 2,7m wide and has 4 control lines (radsail 2.4).
If there is a good amount of wind it will lift you of your feet with ease.
So if there is little wind, I'm flying, if there is a lot of wind, I'm flying:)

KoekieMonster.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I've got a parafoil type wich is 2,7m wide and has 4 control lines (radsail 2.4).
If there is a good amount of wind it will lift you of your feet with ease.
So if there is little wind, I'm flying, if there is a lot of wind, I'm flying:)

KoekieMonster.

Get on a surfboard and go to the sea :)

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Kites are fun - but i expected to see them radio controlled as the thread says...................
Line Control is a different thing - more like this :

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I always thought RC stands for 'Remote Control', not radio control. Hence control line and kites count
That is a very interesting interpretation - but are the really remote if they are in direct contact with you?
Radio is probably not correct as a lot of toys are controlled with IR - light waves. I have an RC television set ;-)

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
Radio controlled kites

Here is some video of the amazing R/C kites in Singapore. They use Futaba Tx/Rx systems, and brushless motors.

Last edited:

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
That is a very interesting interpretation - but are the really remote if they are in direct contact with you?
Radio is probably not correct as a lot of toys are controlled with IR - light waves. I have an RC television set ;-)

Electromagnetic control! lol

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor

Yeah, I think control lines and kites count as 'remote'. Just like a taught string and cups can constitute a telecommunications device. Flying a stunt kite takes a certain amount of skill too (I know, because I bought one yesterday and had a hard time keeping it in the air alongside the Dr.1).