JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
This idea came from reading a post from Andras, aka Sunshine, who wrote of making a plane with gingerbread.

My thought is this:

Who can build an aircraft using the least amount of non-edible stuff. The winner would be determined by flying the aircraft to prove air-worthiness and then eating it to prove edibility. The "left-overs" having the least weight would be the winner.

Bonus points could be awarded for extra air-worthiness (rolls, loops, knife edge, etc) and tastiness (food panel of judges).

The fans will eat this up! (Sorry, I had to):p

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
If I didn't say it you know Josh Scott would should it ever become a show.

Aside from the corny pun, what do you think of the idea?

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
That would make a good episode i reckon. I'd go for sugar paper and rock candy back bone :p

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Pretzels might work as supports. Crackers for surface controls. Egg white for glue. Fruit roll-ups for the skin. Macaroni for control horns.

Come on, this is just screaming imagination.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Pretzels might work as supports. Crackers for surface controls. Egg white for glue. Fruit roll-ups for the skin. Macaroni for control horns.

Come on, this is just screaming imagination.

So the FT crew would do this as a challenge again? if I understood this right

But I do love the idea of being able to eat a plane :D

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
So the FT crew would do this as a challenge again? if I understood this right

But I do love the idea of being able to eat a plane :D

I'm not sure what you mean by again but yes this would be best done by them since I'm sure they have way more creativity and a much better sense of humor than I.

It would give a whole new meaning to a light lunch.

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing

What would you use for ribs?.................................Oh yeah, BBQ sauce! :cool:

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
I'm not sure what you mean by again but yes this would be best done by them since I'm sure they have way more creativity and a much better sense of humor than I.

It would give a whole new meaning to a light lunch.

I mean in general another challenge not more.
I should better say that the FT crew could this as another challegen episode:D

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Are multirotors allowed?

I tried baking a quad frame out of bread...but the center was too weak :(

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
I think thing will just be too heavy and scouring straight, non flexie items might be too challenging. What about an edible multirotor frame?

PeterGregory

CrossThread Industries
Keep this idea rolling.
I think the first FT video I ever came across, now about 15 months ago, was the cinder block episode. The first question I asked myself when I saw that was "How did I not know about these guys?"
If you can fly a cinder block, you can make an edible plane.
I will ask my buddy who graduated from the Culinary Institute of America about it, see what he thinks. They use all kind of exotic materials in what they do. I think it is actually a challenge.
I think a Nutball would be a logical place to start - the very name implores an attempt.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Are multirotors allowed?

I tried baking a quad frame out of bread...but the center was too weak :(

I suppose when I thought of the challenge I didn't think there would be so meny ideas as to require separate entry classes, supposing there will be other types. Nice video by the way. Yours? Someone you know? Or just a video found?

I think thing will just be too heavy and scouring straight, non flexie items might be too challenging. What about an edible multirotor frame?

Certainly.

Keep this idea rolling.
I think the first FT video I ever came across, now about 15 months ago, was the cinder block episode. The first question I asked myself when I saw that was "How did I not know about these guys?"
If you can fly a cinder block, you can make an edible plane.
I will ask my buddy who graduated from the Culinary Institute of America about it, see what he thinks. They use all kind of exotic materials in what they do. I think it is actually a challenge.
I think a Nutball would be a logical place to start - the very name implores an attempt.

Our imagination is our biggest limitation on this. It could easily be one of the funnest recurring challenges too and now in multiple entry classes including best tasting.:p

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I suppose when I thought of the challenge I didn't think there would be so meny ideas as to require separate entry classes, supposing there will be other types. Nice video by the way. Yours? Someone you know? Or just a video found?

Not mine, just one that went a little viral last year and sprang to mind when I thought of edible aircraft :D

I see they followed up with an ice version:

I still want to make bread work as a frame material.....pretzelcopter has a good ring to it ;)

crash bandicoot

How about letting them loose in a grocery store? An FT Flyer made of a tube of crackers, with waxed paper and straws might work.
Or a prebaked pizza nutball.

DKchris

Hmmm......those starch foam packaging trays come to mind......

On the bread frame.....Mo' fibre???;):D:D

Actually, I'd seriously consider trying hi fibre Crisp bread or "Knäckebrod" as the swedes call it. That stuff will break you teeth if made "right". And if not it's still great for breakfast.

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Finally I'm not the only one with the vision! Besides, at our core what do we really like (besides those core things we shouldn't ignore i.e. faith, family, friends) but flying and food. Now we can bring it all together.

I was thinking more along the lines of fixed wing but obviously now I see there should be different class competitions (powered fixed wing, sailplane, & multirotor). Then we'll need grading criteria (flight time, maneuverability, creativity, tastiness, and for sure some way to grade the aircraft on the actual percentage edibility, perhaps comparing all up weight to left on plate weight).

From there the creativity can take off (note pun). If it gets really big we might have to make breakfast dinner and dessert classes too.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Honestly when they posted this:

I thought they were going to evaluate them as building material :D