The End Of An Era- The Radian Era

joecook0723

So, the Radian RTF is on clearance along with the C-Ray 180 to make space for the new UMX Stearman with AS3X (going under PT17) and the new Parkzone P-47 with pre-installed flaps and retracts.
But, even though it's just the RTF, let's take a look and see.
Clearance on the Archer BNF started in October, but the RTF Archer clearance started around Black Friday.
So that means after the Radian RTF is discontinued after Clearance, the Radian PNP will go to clearance too, and after that, of course discontinuation.
So this is the end of the mighty era of the Parkzone Radian.
It was a great sailplane I hear, even though I only own a UMX Radian, not normal size.
So Goodbye Parkzone Radian, you had a good run and you were a great sailplane for whoever you were owned by.

abieex

Mentor
I'm hoping this isn't true. It is indeed a great beginner sailplane and even more in the hands of a good sailplane pilot. It has won some ALES competitions to the shock of those more heavily invested. I'll buy one or two if I see this happening. Mine will certainly be at FF 2015.

joecook0723

I'm hoping this isn't true. It is indeed a great beginner sailplane and even more in the hands of a good sailplane pilot. It has won some ALES competitions to the shock of those more heavily invested. I'll buy one or two if I see this happening. Mine will certainly be at FF 2015.

Go look at the Horizon RTF Airplanes page, Radian RTF, pic has the "CLEARANCE" Arrow in it, now at $229.
Screen Shot 2015-04-03 at 12.48.28 PM.png

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Joe,

I don't think the hope was that the RTF wasn't on clearance -- if HH wants to limit the number of variants of an airframe, good for them -- but that the Radian as an airframe wasn't going to become discontinued altogether.

It's a solid design overall and I agree, it would be a shame to see the large version disappear . . . without a suitable replacement hiding in the wings ;)

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
Correlation <> Causation
Even so - I'd bet they have something to replace it if it is being discontinued.
Hopefully it'll fly better than the 'Pro'.
Even the 'Pro' didn't replace the regular Radian.
I imagine it still sells fairly well and they won't want to stop that.
Perhaps the RTF just didn't sell well.
Time will tell. Keep your eyes peel and you may be able to pick one up cheaply!

Best regards,
PCH

joecook0723

Joe,

I don't think the hope was that the RTF wasn't on clearance -- if HH wants to limit the number of variants of an airframe, good for them -- but that the Radian as an airframe wasn't going to become discontinued altogether.

It's a solid design overall and I agree, it would be a shame to see the large version disappear . . . without a suitable replacement hiding in the wings ;)

So the PNP may just remain?
That's better.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Wait what is this Pt-17 I am hearing about? I'm sad to see the radian go, but a stearman is going to be awesome too.

joecook0723

Correlation <> Causation
Even so - I'd bet they have something to replace it if it is being discontinued.
Hopefully it'll fly better than the 'Pro'.
Even the 'Pro' didn't replace the regular Radian.
I imagine it still sells fairly well and they won't want to stop that.
Perhaps the RTF just didn't sell well.
Time will tell. Keep your eyes peel and you may be able to pick one up cheaply!

Best regards,
PCH
They are replacing it with nothing like it if they are replacing it,
but the Radian RTF is being "replaced" (being discontinued to introduce more new items) by a
UMX STEARMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joecook0723

Wait what is this Pt-17 I am hearing about? I'm sad to see the radian go, but a stearman is going to be awesome too.
Akimbo,
I saw an ad for it on RCGroups and thought it was a 2nd but late April Fools Trick.
Sure enough it's not.
It's a slow flying beautiful 1S 4CH UMX Stearman with AS3X.
It's built for slow flying and is only $99.
Yes, UMX STEARMAN!!
GO PREORDER ONE NOW.
UMX Stearman Video

Last edited:

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
One of these planes is in the FliteTest store at FliteFestOhio! The night flyer Radian looks great, and I think I heard someone say it'll be about $40 more. Everyone is chomping on the block to buy one, but unfortunately, they aren't available for sale yet!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Yeah, but plastic cockpit? Weird.

People have been doing this for ages, but adding on the addressable LEDs is a nice touch. The strip down each surface is a kinda basic pattern for a lighted night glider (relying on the color patterns to make it unique), but it should still function quite well, and make for a satisfying night flight.

Robyle3

Well now, i thnk its safe to say that since the time of the original post, the radian is still fully alive and well. And very much still around XD