The FAA is at again!

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
just a taste
@CHC325 lmfao, ain't that the truth!

I have the same answer for both:

View attachment 168265
I've said this before on the other FAA thread:

I got into rc so I could enjoy having at least one hobby nobody was trying to ban...
Yet here we are.

One thing I can say for certain having lived in California my entire life, when it comes to government overreach you kinda get used to it... maybe. But then again maybe not...

If possible we should organize some kind of protest, something I'm quickly gaining experience in with the current state of affairs here in California. Unfortunately it seems the only thing the government learned from the Civil Rights era is that protests can't work if you ignore them, which seems to be exactly what the FAA's doing.
I think the best thing we can do at this point is try to get the word out and get more people on our side, if it becomes a national issue than the FAA can't go behind everyone's back like this without looking shady.

Otherwise we just become sky pirates. I think less-than-legal flying may become the new 21st century art. Josh Bixler could become like a Mob Boss for underground flying. If this goes through, which it looks like it is, I'll try to form an underground flying group in the High Desert of SoCal. We have a flag and there will be cookies and probably also guns, since we're out there anyway. My Arrowhead is already prepared:

IMG_20200227_143312.jpg

As someone else pointed out this is old news though. These companies had been chosen to design remote ID years ago, this email is just trying to make it look like progress has been made where none has. It's probably just to scare us.

I hate to say it but considering some other current events this might be the least of our concerns regarding the government and big business.

Cheers,
WelcometotheJungle.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I've said this before on the other FAA thread:

I got into rc so I could enjoy having at least one hobby nobody was trying to ban...
Yet here we are.

One thing I can say for certain having lived in California my entire life, when it comes to government overreach you kinda get used to it... maybe. But then again maybe not...

If possible we should organize some kind of protest, something I'm quickly gaining experience in with the current state of affairs here in California. Unfortunately it seems the only thing the government learned from the Civil Rights era is that protests can't work if you ignore them, which seems to be exactly what the FAA's doing.
I think the best thing we can do at this point is try to get the word out and get more people on our side, if it becomes a national issue than the FAA can't go behind everyone's back like this without looking shady.

Otherwise we just become sky pirates. I think less-than-legal flying may become the new 21st century art. Josh Bixler could become like a Mob Boss for underground flying. If this goes through, which it looks like it is, I'll try to form an underground flying group in the High Desert of SoCal. We have a flag and there will be cookies and probably also guns, since we're out there anyway. My Arrowhead is already prepared:

View attachment 168277

As someone else pointed out this is old news though. These companies had been chosen to design remote ID years ago, this email is just trying to make it look like progress has been made where none has. It's probably just to scare us.

I hate to say it but considering some other current events this might be the least of our concerns regarding the government and big business.

Cheers,
View attachment 168278
I shutter seeing that hat...

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Well under 250 grams doesn’t comply to those rules I believe - you can fly them anywhere. I’ve been buying a bunch of UMX planes recently.

I was digging through the FAA rules trying to verify that (My house is in a MOA). As far as i can tell, the 250g limit effects if you have to register (and the remote ID proposal doesn't require based on it), _however_ flight area restrictions (aka MOA, airports/etc) still appear to apply even sub 250g. So that ~125g quad my kids have - can't be flown in my yard (below the tree line, were if any plane or anything was, there would be way bigger issues then that quad).

If someone has something official for reference showing that I am reading this wrong, I would be happy to see it, because I can't find it.

Legendary member
I was digging through the FAA rules trying to verify that (My house is in a MOA). As far as i can tell, the 250g limit effects if you have to register (and the remote ID proposal doesn't require based on it), _however_ flight area restrictions (aka MOA, airports/etc) still appear to apply even sub 250g. So that ~125g quad my kids have - can't be flown in my yard (below the tree line, were if any plane or anything was, there would be way bigger issues then that quad).

If someone has something official for reference showing that I am reading this wrong, I would be happy to see it, because I can't find it.
That's pretty much correct

basslord1124

Master member
One thing I wonder about too, is these major flying events that have been going on for quite some time. Not just Flitefest but even bigger ones like Joe Nall. How are these new rules/regulations going to affect events like that? Shoot, some of them even take donations that go to some good causes. That to me just seems like something the government needs to think about before implementing some of these ideas.

JasonK

That's pretty much correct
Thanks for the confirmation.. it is unfortuanate, because it is ~10-15 minutes drive to get out of the MOA and any reasonable size parks are even farther (at least that I have found). Going to go check out an AMA field that is on or right next to the Airforce base as the most likely 'good' place to fly around here... but it is a solid 45 minutes drive.

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
One thing I wonder about too, is these major flying events that have been going on for quite some time. Not just Flitefest but even bigger ones like Joe Nall. How are these new rules/regulations going to affect events like that? Shoot, some of them even take donations that go to some good causes. That to me just seems like something the government needs to think about before implementing some of these ideas.

doesnt pencil out........far more cash to be made selling out our under 400ft airspace to commercial entities than the chump change the govt ever saw from an RC event

we in RC are being sold out like the rest of America by politicians and big business

Legendary member
Thanks for the confirmation.. it is unfortuanate, because it is ~10-15 minutes drive to get out of the MOA and any reasonable size parks are even farther (at least that I have found). Going to go check out an AMA field that is on or right next to the Airforce base as the most likely 'good' place to fly around here... but it is a solid 45 minutes drive.
Where do you live? For me I'd have to drive about an hour out to the High Desert. Whether or not the drive is worth it just to fly rc planes is up for debate, but I have *cough* other reasons to go out there...
Flying mini quads in the back yard:

View attachment 168289
I second that.

Y'know, there's a lot of fun stuff to do with quads that's illegal. If we're flying illegally anyway might as well go down the list, right? Maybe an army of armed quads flown beyond VLOS from an airborne aircraft?

JasonK

Legendary member
Panhandle of Florida, there are 2 MOAs (Airforce bases) in the area and quite a few airports. Look in the areas around Panama City (not were I am, but a good spot to lookup) and look around it on http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/air-space-map/. There is lots of blue and where there isn't, is mostly buildings, trees/forest, or water.
Do you have a boat? You could build a removable runway for your boat, or use it to fly floatplanes.

JasonK

Do you have a boat?

no I don't. And if you look were I pointed you, you will see most of the water is in the blue also. I am also making it a bit of a goal right now to keep my craft close to the 0.55lb/250g weight, as to get my skills up with that size... in case the Remote ID stuff works out as the inital proposal, that way I don't have some heavy something or another that can't be flown in 3-5 years from now. Only would want to make something big, if I didn't expect it to have a long shelf life... at least until that gets more settled.

then again, in 3 years from now, who knows what my hobby interests will be, I may have explored all the interesting bits (to me) of flying airplanes and be on to something else.

My goal is to make a VTOL (aka V-280 Valor, Bell XV-15, or the V-22 Osprey). I specifically want to design the control system and the flight board programming. 3 years... definately in the realm of being done with at that point.

Ranger_107

Elite member
no I don't. And if you look were I pointed you, you will see most of the water is in the blue also. I am also making it a bit of a goal right now to keep my craft close to the 0.55lb/250g weight, as to get my skills up with that size... in case the Remote ID stuff works out as the inital proposal, that way I don't have some heavy something or another that can't be flown in 3-5 years from now. Only would want to make something big, if I didn't expect it to have a long shelf life... at least until that gets more settled.

then again, in 3 years from now, who knows what my hobby interests will be, I may have explored all the interesting bits (to me) of flying airplanes and be on to something else.

My goal is to make a VTOL (aka V-280 Valor, Bell XV-15, or the V-22 Osprey). I specifically want to design the control system and the flight board programming. 3 years... definately in the realm of being done with at that point.
I would love to see a foamboard vtol v22 opsrey scratch build

JasonK

I would love to see a foamboard vtol v22 opsrey scratch build

I just ordered some more electronics, but I still need to work out a flight board. Biggest thing I need to figure out is how to setup motors at the desired scale, it seems that most of the FT motors are focused on smaller props running faster. all of the above have fairly big rotors compared to their airframe size, (the one has the motors at the wing tips and they are only 'slightly' clearing the body).

Where is a good place on the forum to take my ramblings and plans/etc, as this is clearly getting way off topic from this thread? I would be happy to discuss some more.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I just ordered some more electronics, but I still need to work out a flight board. Biggest thing I need to figure out is how to setup motors at the desired scale, it seems that most of the FT motors are focused on smaller props running faster. all of the above have fairly big rotors compared to their airframe size, (the one has the motors at the wing tips and they are only 'slightly' clearing the body).

Where is a good place on the forum to take my ramblings and plans/etc, as this is clearly getting way off topic from this thread? I would be happy to discuss some more.
I'd post it in the "Mad (scratch) builders corner" :D
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?forums/mad-scratch-builders-corner.102/