The finer points of combat wing design

earthsciteach

Definitely not some candy-ass plane that you have to be all careful about landing and such! LOL! I need one of these.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Hahahaha- I just built another one.
I'll try to get some pics up tonight and hopefully get a maiden done tomorrow (if the weather holds)
I personally don't recommend them as first planes, but they are so durable that I know several people who learned how to fly with them. Even if you don't fly combat, it's worth having one or two of these things in your hangar.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
OK- no full blown tutorial but here are some pics of my new EPP Assassin Combat plane from CrashTestHobby.

All extreme taped up and ready to laminate
a4747735-71-DSC04962.jpg a4747736-232-DSC04963.jpg a4747737-137-DSC04964.jpg

All lammed up
a4747738-170-DSC04965.jpg

More tomorrow, will hopefully maiden if the weather cooperates.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Finished up and maidened.
Hope I got some video. I'll try to post it tonight if it worked out.

Attachments

• a4747739-208-DSC04966.jpg
    a4747739-208-DSC04966.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 36
  • a4747740-51-DSC04970.jpg
    a4747740-51-DSC04970.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 42
  • a4747743-21-DSC04971.jpg
    a4747743-21-DSC04971.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 37
  • a4747744-119-DSC04972.jpg
    a4747744-119-DSC04972.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 41
  • a4747745-215-DSC04973.jpg
    a4747745-215-DSC04973.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 39

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Yes- it's CA safe. I'm a hot glue man myself ;)

What is the KV on the CF2822? I'm sure it's big enough but you may need a bigger prop if it's lower KV than the CF2812.

My setup is bigger than the recommended setup and way heavier.
I use:
HobbyPartz 3010 Rocket Series motor 1700KV with a 7x6 APC clone prop
2200mah battery to balance the big motor
MG90S servos
HobbyKing 25-30 card programmable ESC
Orange 6 receiver

I have another one setup stock with the FC2812 motor and a 1300mah bat- Flies well too. (will still go straight up- just not unlimited)
Build as close as you can to the instructions on the CrashTestHobby site and you will be a happy customer :)
There are a couple of places I deviate from Lee's build instructions but they are minor...

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Got the maiden on vid.
Got some video that I took after a couple 'o packs getting more comfortable with the plane.
Will post it once I figger out how to edit out some of the boring bits.

earthsciteach

THe CF2822 is a 1300 kv motor. It produces 19 oz of thrust on a 7x6E. Not too far off from the 2812 @ 21 oz of thrust. Looking forward to watching your video, but my wife is calling me to come watch Swamp People with her! Gotta love that!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Just to add another log onto the fire and fan the flames...
Been working with Zach on his first combat wing.
Hope to have this one ready to maiden by next weekend.

a4752252-227-DSC04974.jpg

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
So I happened to notice the ailerons for your assassin - are they EPP? cause I have found some insulation type material, but it's not at all rigid, it's sold in rolls, not in sheets. It looks like solidified soap foam. But it would have to be quite reinforced to work for a plane.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Yes- They are EPP. The way the ailerons come in the box you could tie them in a knot.
They become rigid after covering with two layers of the laminating film or by wrapping with Extreme tape and then covering with a layer of laminate.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Yes- They are EPP. The way the ailerons come in the box you could tie them in a knot.
They become rigid after covering with two layers of the laminating film or by wrapping with Extreme tape and then covering with a layer of laminate.

And what lamination is that?

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
It comes with the kit, but it's a film that is used in automatic laminating machines.
It is shiny on one side and a little tacky on the other side.
You apply it like you would monocote or similar iron on covering but it becomes crystal clear when it is activated by the heat of the iron.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
It comes with the kit, but it's a film that is used in automatic laminating machines.
It is shiny on one side and a little tacky on the other side.
You apply it like you would monocote or similar iron on covering but it becomes crystal clear when it is activated by the heat of the iron.

Oh, then I don't have that option.

I'll probably end up scratchbuilding with EPS anyway.

teflyer

Full Circle
In my opinion, EPS is not a good option for scratchbuilding. I built my first scratchbuild , the MidiDart, from EPS. It flew, but broke way too easily, even with a gentle landing by friend who already knew how to fly RC. I would go with Artboard or Elmer's foamboard, or something similar.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
In my opinion, EPS is not a good option for scratchbuilding. I built my first scratchbuild , the MidiDart, from EPS. It flew, but broke way too easily, even with a gentle landing by friend who already knew how to fly RC. I would go with Artboard or Elmer's foamboard, or something similar.

I don't have that! I only have EPS available! I have no other option!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Zach's plane, ready for maiden flight:

60" wingspan CrashTestHobby Titan combat plane

554198_3515104923929_1745883305_n.jpg

Last edited: