The Flying Box - DEVELOPMENT

SkySlayer

ARC=Almost Ready to Crash
Hi Chad,
I have 2 ideas and if you would please take the time to read them you will like them.
IDEA 1
If you look at any uni-foam-plane all you have to do to make it a box is:
a-turn the main wing so it is at a 45 degree angel.
b-add another main wing and put it at a 45 degree angel so you have an X shape.
c-put a box around it.
d-plug and fly.

IDEA 2
Look at a quad-copter:
a-put holes in the box shape to accompany the 4 rotters.
b-glue the box to the motor struts(or something,you know the stick that attaches the motor to the body),or you could screw it.
c-plug and fly.

I hope you understood what i meant and please reply.

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
Hi Chad,
I have 2 ideas and if you would please take the time to read them you will like them.
IDEA 1
If you look at any uni-foam-plane all you have to do to make it a box is:
a-turn the main wing so it is at a 45 degree angel.
b-add another main wing and put it at a 45 degree angel so you have an X shape.
c-put a box around it.
d-plug and fly.

IDEA 2
Look at a quad-copter:
a-put holes in the box shape to accompany the 4 rotters.
b-glue the box to the motor struts(or something,you know the stick that attaches the motor to the body),or you could screw it.
c-plug and fly.

I hope you understood what i meant and please reply.

Thank you for these very well thought out suggestions.

We have tried similar adjustments and rebuilds as IDEA 1. The box frame itself affects the air around the internal wings. We've tried 6 different variations since making this video including:
  • Rudder
  • High, mid and low CG
  • Lighter airframe
  • Heavier airframe
  • Thrust vectoring
  • Rotating the airframe 45 degrees
  • Smaller prop / higher KV
  • Larger prop lower KV

We're trying to keep everything inside and not cut holes or attack the integrity of the box walls.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
What about flexing the sides of the box themselves as a control surface? Not sure how yet, just popped into my head.

dezertdog

FlyCam_DualCopter v2.9

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but have you considered FlyCam_DualCopter v2.9?

black_dual.jpg

Davy Crockett

FT Flying Box

Awesome Idea Chad!!!!! Here is my thoughts on theory of flight for the Box. Essentially you have a vector nozzle craft that is having trouble making a transition from vertical to horizontal flight. It only uses 1 out of the two rules for lift on a wing, so it works off of angle of attack only, aside from raw thrust. This Box is set up to hover as previously posted in other threads, it appears you have had to move the CG to extremes to maintain a teeter totter effect to achieve forward flight by trying to use thrust to change the parameters between the centre of pressure essentialy CG( It amazes me how you're able to fly it must be SKILL!)

Suggestion: When i look at your box I see a biplane so add camber. Also i was thinking to control yaw try mounting your battery on a craddle to allow it to be used as weight transfer as David Windestal achieves on the Goodyear Blimp and also on the 360 degree gun turret/ camera mount for the Kraken I believe the CG can stay fixed but adjust weight side to side or just use a pendulum mounted to a servo shaped like a lollipop. Cheers ( remember its just my Theory)

Last edited:

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
The Flying Box that won't fly and won't die and consumes brains! Chad you created a "Monster"! :p

Thurmond

DDSFlyer

Well, I haven't read the full thread but have you guys seen this? Otto is a local guy that makes the craziest things fly and gets on the news for it. I missed seeing this in person this week but thought it fit this thread.
http://youtu.be/gj85UlbMWr4

Another flying box dream.

Hello Chad et al,

I know this thread is years old but I can't help wanting to work on this design. I really enjoy all your videos but the 'challenges' are really fun and inspiring. On reading this thread I saw my notions were very similar to many others in many but not all aspects. Still I had to share my version to see what you all think and maybe learn some more in the process.
Like others I saw the 'corner down' diamond configuration would be more stable and I also favor vectored thrust but I would like to take that notion a little farther.
I like the goal of keeping the box shape as simple as possible with a slight difference. Your current design is like a box with the top and bottom removed( for good reason). While keeping the open bottom I'd like to suggest retaining the "lid" flaps for use as KF steps. The adjacent 'flaps' on the 'top' would fasten to the outside while the opposing or 'bottom' side would fasten inside. To my thinking that is still using the elements of a box and keeps the exterior lines relatively unchanged while hopefully providing some lift freeing the design from its necessary 'high-alpha' attitude.
You mentioned having tried vectored thrust already but did not go into detail on that. My idea is based on the EDF thrust vectoring I saw David build into his Viggen and the complex mixing I saw Peter doing with his VTOL crafts. I don't have the knowledge or experience to know if its do-able but if anyone would know I bet you guys would.
So keeping the box intact and using no propellers or control surfaces my idea is to use 2 EDFs mounted near the 'tail' end so you can get not only the 2-axis vectoring David built into the Viggen but also roll axis control with the two EDFs mixed like elevon-rudders. I don't know anything about programming but seeing what Peter and David have done make me believe this is possible. I don't know what kind of thrust you would need for actual VTOL but perhaps a 'sidewinder' takeoff with splayed 'ailerons' would be a 'stable' way to achieve this.
I hope my(non-engineer) explanation makes sense but just in case I attempted to illustrate it... Another flying box.png

All responses or input is welcome as I would love to learn more. Otherwise thanks many times over to you and everyone at Flite Test for all you do.